9-piece Yamaha kit - tom setup advice?

bucketoc

Hi, I just joined. Sorry if this is misplaced.

I'm probably going to get a 9 piece vintage yamaha soon. My only concern is that there are 7 toms, 6 rack, 1 floor. Weird, I know.

How on earth would I set this up so that my cymbals could be within reach?

Re: really weird tom setup

If you got a drum rack you could mount 3-4 up and the rest down to the side on the bar.

No one says you have to use all of them, so you could just mount the sizes you like and keep the others for other situations.

I'm probably going to keep them all set up for the fun of it and only bring 2 or 3 for gigs. Much easier that way.

Perhaps 2 rows of three. Or take the two lowest rack toms, put one on your left and one on your right (with the floor tom also on the right and put your two highest rack toms over and on the left of your hi-hats. Then you only have 2 in the front!

Whatever you do make sure to have one on the L side of your hats (assuming you are R handed). So much fun

What are the sizes? This might help. If they are 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 or 16, 18, I would put the last rack tom as a floor tom, and experiment with the 13 or 14 as a left hand floor tom and the 8 and 10 to the left of the high hat.

3Ga3Lb3M45L35Ha5Mad45f6aa01e48055149b.jpg

Not sure what the sizes are.

Looks like a 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 to me.

Put the 6, 8, and 10 to the left of the hi-hat, the 12 and 13 on the bass, and the 14 and 16 low. All good.

Looks like a 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 to me.
Me too.​
I'd place the 6, 8, 10, 12 left of the hats. With the smaller above the larger. Use only the 13, or 14 ..... as a single rack tom above/left of the kick. And then the floor, in it's usual position.​

Also it looks like the floor tom is missing the bottom head & hoop. If you want one you just need enough tension rods, a head, and a 2.3mm triple-flange hoop. If you don't, you might wanna take off those lugs so they don't rattle.

Here's how I had my 9 piece setup for decades.

I changed it awhile ago to a two up two down setup using the 10,12 on the rack and 14,16 as floor toms.

The main problem is that the toms are mounted by twos.
I could take one off and put it on a snare stand somewhere.

Btw I will post pics of whatever works best once I figure it out.

Make the biggest tom into a kick and run it with the smaller two toms and then use the rest as another kit. Hard to imagine actually setting up that many toms at a gig (I mean lugging them around really).

Sounds like a fun problem to have but I dont think I would ever set all of them up at once.

I would play it as a four or five piece. I would use lugs from the toms I did not use and put bottom heads on the toms I did use. Of course rims would be bought, and bearing edges may have to be cut. Peace and goodwill.

I have it set up and it looks and sounds really good. i went with the floor and snare on either side of the bass, with three toms over each. Ill post pictures later.

The bass floor and snare are all from 1997, and the bass and floor are mad of birch/camelia. Don't know what line of yammies that is.
The low toms have no model and serials, but match the bass/floor with the "made in taiwan/republic of china" badges
The high toms have no model and serials, but have "made in japan" badges.
Odd set but it all sounds great.

Heres what I did. I now have a rack though. Placement is the same though.

Attachments

• 156368_546608548685589_383978310_n.jpg
    156368_546608548685589_383978310_n.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 266
Back