NAMM 2015 - what do you expect to see?

That gaping hole on the side of the of the snare reminds me of this local drum cake decorator that puts this gaping port on the side of everything he does. Reminds me of some kind of bedroom toy for men.

47af38_ecb4feb477804ae48f24e2bbc0711fd1.jpg_256

For max resonance use one of those EC2 snare batter heads with the center patch on that Premier. A brick will resonate more. Makes the Reference 20 ply look like a thin shell design.

Agreed, it's nothing new, nor is it remotely worthwhile IMHO. As it's about as resonant as a building block, it's going to be fast & bright enough without assistance from holes to supposedly make batter to reso response more direct. Looks cool though ;)

It certainly will play the visual part of its character... can't say I know many metal players who are familiar with Premier and have the surely exorbitant dosh to buy that thing, though.

For max resonance use one of those EC2 snare batter heads with the center patch on that Premier. A brick will resonate more. Makes the Reference 20 ply look like a thin shell design.

That's what Remo just introduced the coated Powerstroke 77 for! Two thick plies, a center dot, a muffling ring, coating, no sustain guaranteed!

I actually bought a clear marching version for one of my snares, it's kind of a workout. So little rebound on that thing.

Bermuda,

I noticed that the concert toms on Ludwig's big display kit don't have the usual black protective ring at the bottom. Have these now been done away with?

Well, in the context of the kit, they're giving a nod to the original concert toms, size-wise as well. these are not the more common "power" concert toms that Ludwig and other companies have been offering. I like it - clean and elegant.

Bermuda

Are you hinting to that Premier stole this idea from Luka percussion?
As I understand from the Luka percussion web site, they have been in buisness since 1999.
Premier's first snare with those holes from edge to edge was the Project One snare, released in the mid 80's...
premier-Project-One-1983-Natural-big.jpg

That does look pretty cool. Too bad you wouldn't see it when you put a coated head on top ;)

Or maybe this drum says you should never use a coated head on it?

Bermuda at NAMM from the Ludwig FB Page:

"Ludwig Artist, BERMUDA SCHWARTZ with "Weird Al" Yankovic, checking out the NEW Ludwig Legacy Mahogany Kit at NAMM 2015. A BIG thank you also goes out to Bermuda for all his help at The Ludwig Display this week."

I really like that look on the Legacy.

I will spend the day drilling holes down through my shell to see how it sounds. Be right back.

Premier marketing blurb: "Great sound, and plies like a motherf****r."

Premier marketing blurb: "Great sound, and plies like a motherf****r."

Their advertisement reads as if they've developed a new type of TP. I'm curious as to why an individual would choose this particular snare over a stave shell.

Back