Complaining Neighbours

mattyg@@

Hey drummers. I'd like to know how many drummers out there get complaints from their neighbours for playing too loud, too long or even playing at all. i got a new yamaha kit the other day after being without one for a couple of months, and of course, i gave it the biggest pounding imaginable. who wouldn't? then a couple of days later my neighbour went off his head, practically yelling obscenities and even accused me of making his wifes last month on earth a misery before she died and i wasnt even living there during that time! has anyone had similar experiences? i'd like to hear your stories.

Luckily, I only have on neighbor technically (next to me) The other neighbor is pretty far away from my house.

I've never gotten complaints; but the opposite of that. I got compliments :p

we got the cops called on us while my band was practicing one time..

he told us to turn it down or quit..so, we quit. then about 30 minutes later, started again...

just long enough for the neighbor to call the cops again. we stopped after 1 song, then put up all our gear super fast, then left..lol...

the neighbor was one of those that if she didnt like it, or have control, it was wrong and she hated it...and would do anything to get control or it to stop..so, thats why we did it..lol

Alex

haha i have 2 neigbors next to me. 1 of them compliments me and says i play a long time (probably saying your annoying in a nice way). The other called about a week ago asking if i could insulate my house to soundproof it or somethin! lol Im about to tell them go buy some noise cancelling headphones! haha

We get this kind of thread every so often, and it always ends up saying the same thing. You need to take responsibility for how you play.

Residential areas are not places where most families want to hear such noise, and given local council noise abatement policy, they probably have the right and means to complain if you are being inconsiderate to those around you. Yes, I know your neighbours have crying babies, noisy dogs and mow the lawn early in the mornings, but you have a drumkit, so its not the same thing.. (apparently)

At the end of the day, buy some mute pads, use them and take it to the purpose built rehearsal rooms or studios when you want to fire it up. Itll save everyone (including you!) the headache of noise complaints.

I have one particular neighbor that has called me twice, complaining that I was too loud. Funny thing is...my other neighbors always tell me that it sounds great....haha (I'm sure they're just being nice though)

We get this kind of thread every so often, and it always ends up saying the same thing. You need to take responsibility for how you play.

Residential areas are not places where most families want to hear such noise, and given local council noise abatement policy, they probably have the right and means to complain if you are being inconsiderate to those around you. Yes, I know your neighbours have crying babies, noisy dogs and mow the lawn early in the mornings, but you have a drumkit, so its not the same thing.. (apparently)

At the end of the day, buy some mute pads, use them and take it to the purpose built rehearsal rooms or studios when you want to fire it up. Itll save everyone (including you!) the headache of noise complaints.
I have a soundproof room at home, well semi soundproof apparently, the low frequencies still get out and i think thats what my neighbour is hearing, just my bass drum thumping. But im not inconsiderate, i dont play before 12 midday and never after 730pm and its not like im in there all day, i only usually play for about 30 minutes to one hour at a time sometimes less sometimes a bit more, and not everyday either. once he complained that i had played for 2 hours straight, so i said, what about the 22 hours of the day that i wasnt playing? and he had no answer. i think he's just one of those people whose cup is always half empty, or a quarter or eighth empty more like it.

I rent a house 3 years ago. At first my neighbours called to me sometines but in time they got accustomed to my playing and now I have no problems:)

Move to the country! i live in the country and theres like 700meters between me n my neighbours in all directions :D, can play as loud as i like and no complaints :p, which is surprising because i live on a hill and the sound travels through the valley :D lol sounds awesome when you hear it yourself :). but ahh, i'd just go over to your neighbours place and sit down and discuss with them and figure out an agreement that you can play for like an hour or so each day, and also ask if they are not home at a particular time so you could play then :)

Find out what your local noise laws are. In my town, between 9 AM and 9 PM, there is a DB level that is allowed that includes most set playing. In other towns, a practice pad is probably too loud. Know the laws, and that way, if cops come or whatever, you are prepared. If a cop gets a noise complaint, their first instinct is to come and shut you up, rather than debate DBs, but you have rights, too. If the community you live in has specific noise laws, however, you're screwed.

I have had 4 neighbors mention my drumplaying to me. The closest says they like it and he works second shift. When I get home in the afternoon he is sleeping. I changed my playing time to 7 to 9 PM. He gets to sleep and I get 2 hours a day if I want. On the weekends I wait until about 11 in the morning and stop by 8 PM. MrChattr is correct about the law of the land. You can be sited for nuisance at any time if you are just too loud. Play a little softer since you are only practicing. If they come knocking be polite and work something out. I told my nearest neighbor if they were sick and iit was going to be a real bother to knock on the door and I will wait until the next day. Everybody stays happy. But don't be mistaken with the idea that "Hey, its not 11 oclock yet I can do what I want." Wrong.

When I rented it was hard tom play because the walls were so thin and we didn't have a shed or garage, when I played it was only for an hour max and the neighbours were a nightmare at the door in mins. Now that I have my own house it's alot better, I have a big garage out the back and I've spoken to the neighbours and they don't mind an hour or so a day and my band on the weekend and i'm open if it's a difficult time for them to stop for the day...so it's all gravy..

Luckily, I only have on neighbor technically (next to me) The other neighbor is pretty far away from my house.

I've never gotten complaints; but the opposite of that. I got compliments :p

Man you are lucky! I live in a flat and there are 7 flats each floor, people here are pretty weird, they even complain you if you only play music, or sing karaoke. That's the reason I don't have a drumset! My neighbors would kill me in seconds if so....

I have had 4 neighbors mention my drumplaying to me. The closest says they like it and he works second shift. When I get home in the afternoon he is sleeping. I changed my playing time to 7 to 9 PM. He gets to sleep and I get 2 hours a day if I want. On the weekends I wait until about 11 in the morning and stop by 8 PM. MrChattr is correct about the law of the land. You can be sited for nuisance at any time if you are just too loud. Play a little softer since you are only practicing. If they come knocking be polite and work something out. I told my nearest neighbor if they were sick and iit was going to be a real bother to knock on the door and I will wait until the next day. Everybody stays happy. But don't be mistaken with the idea that "Hey, its not 11 oclock yet I can do what I want." Wrong.

good points made above!

It's all about dynamics especially when practicing. I know it's a new kit and you really wanted to let it rip. First thing you should keep in mind with this neighbor if he just lost his wife he is going through an extremely rough time and it might be the grief talking and not who he really is. Secondly try to calmly and respectfully talk to him and work out a time when it would be agreeable for you to play. Thirdly if possible move your kit to the farthest side of the house away from that neighbor and use dynamics when practicing, you aren't playing for a venue of 20,000 just yourself. You'll find you'll improve your playing and won't get fatigued as quickly.

Back