Snare for a $200 budget

TheDrumster

I'm picking up a Sonor Force 3007 and I'm considering not taking the snare that comes with the kit (14 x5) and getting either a new or used snare for @$200.

More info: I play mostly rock/pop and I'm looking for something with that cuts and has nice tone....

Thanks for any suggestions!

What's the price difference? Are they still selling you snare even if you're not buying it?

I recently picked up a used Ludwig Acrolite with new heads and snares for $129 at my local drum shop.
Sounds great and cuts through the classic rock band I play with nicely.

Everyones gonna suggest lugwig supra and acrolites. I cant suggest them myself cause Ive never played them or care for them. I can suggest tama snares. Ive played a bunch of them. I specially like the metal ones.

Your best bet is probably trying a bunch of them, and getting the one you like most that's within your budget.

My default answer for this question:

If you like metal snare drums = 14 x 5 Ludwig Acrolite (Aluminum)
If you like wood snare drums = 13 x 6.5 Yamaha Musashi (Oak)

You can easily find either one for less than $200 used.

Also, keep in mind that often, a snare drum you pick up off the rack at a local music store is nowhere near being in tune or even what I would call a playable state…

Also, there are some excellent online videos of decent recordings of snare drums in all prices ranges from Drum Center of Portsmouth or from Memphis Drum Shop….and others.

Neal

The 5.5, or 6.5 Supralite are GREAT sounding, solid snares.
Quite a bit under $200 brand new. Very sensitive, and have good tuning ranges to be a nice workhorse snare, covering pretty much anything you need it to do.

Acro's, a 400 or 402's can be found for great deals as well.

Used Pearl Sensitone Elite, or a Worldmax/Pork Pie are good choices too.

I just picked me up a 1968 14 x 5 Supraphonic in what I would consider really good shape for $100...lol. Check Craigslist in your area. You're bound to find something decent. And if you wait and aren't in a hurry, you will probably find a great deal. I also got a 2006/7 All Birch Japan made Tama Starclassic 14 x 6.5 for $100 a few months ago.

Good hunting, Defender

Last edited:
As one reply said, You are going to get a lot of recommendations for Acrolites, supralites, and Supras. Well, he is right, and for good reason. There is an awful lot of experience on this forum, and when the big majority tell you this, it is for good reason. In the $200 range, A used Acrolite or Supra will get you a world class drum. I can't think of any better advice.

Acros, Supras, Sensitones, Musashis...those are the go to snares. Also, you might find a used Pork Pie Big Black for under $200. That's a good one too if you like the metal snares. I have a really old Gretsch Aluminum snare too. It has been scratched up and beat to hell and back, but sounds wonderful. Probably couldn't even get a hundred for it if I wanted to sell it. What's wrong with the Sonor snare? Do you already have a back-up snare drum?

Rogers Powertone will get you 8 lugs, chrome over brass shell, an indestructible totally dependable throw off, fantastic sensitivity, and really cool vintage mojo. And all right in your budget range.

Acros, Supras, Sensitones, Musashis...those are the go to snares. Also, you might find a used Pork Pie Big Black for under $200. That's a good one too if you like the metal snares. I have a really old Gretsch Aluminum snare too. It has been scratched up and beat to hell and back, but sounds wonderful. Probably couldn't even get a hundred for it if I wanted to sell it. What's wrong with the Sonor snare? Do you already have a back-up snare drum?

I have Black Beauty that I use on my primary kit, which usually stays home. The Sonor will be my practice/gigging kit.

I have Black Beauty that I use on my primary kit, which usually stays home. The Sonor will be my practice/gigging kit.

I see, a very nice snare indeed. I use a Big Black for my gig kit (also known as a Black Beauty clone), and an early 80's B/O Acro is on my studio kit. Hard to say which one I like better.

Pick up a 35 dollar beater... and play it until your patience leads you to a much nicer snare at a really good price. It might take a little while but those deals do exist.

If you want a snare that cuts for $200 or less, I would definitely consider an Acrolite. Others that also have been suggested would serve you well are the Supra, Pork Pie Big Black and the Pearl Sensitones. Steel shells cut well, so don't forget those. Here is a nice deal on a new Pearl Sensitone Elite Steel 6.5x14 for $190. You should check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Sensi.../271603909197?pt=US_Drums&hash=item3f3cdac24d

Pork Pie patina brass 8 lug, 13"

You can find them used on CL from time to time.

the can be had for about 350 new. I have one but it has a ringtone to it that had to be adjusted out. The shell itself is very loud and tends to exaggerate the snare buzz so I modified that as well with tape.

I got it because of its dynamic range and all the different characters you can get. It sounds marvelous as a timbale as well.

Basically everything that people have suggested would serve your purpose.

Myself, the Ludwig Acrolite is my desert island snare. If I could only have one snare from my collection, which also includes a Ludwig Supraphonic, a WFL Deems/Jazz Festival, and a Slingerland Super Krupa, I'd keep the Acrolite.

You can easily find a good used Acro for the $130.

Back