Symmetrical kit for maxed out ergonomics

BillBachman

Gold Member
Here's my kit, the hats are in the center and there are toms to both sides. It makes everything really easy and opens up tons of new possibilities. If it freaks you out, just look at the little 4 piece kit within it. No problem!

Attachments

• Studio set up (5).JPG
    Studio set up (5).JPG
    605.7 KB · Views: 1,644
  • Studio set up (3).JPG
    Studio set up (3).JPG
    896 KB · Views: 927
and "another" way of looking at things ...​

Attachments

• ludwig1.jpg
    ludwig1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 898
  • ludwig2.jpg
    ludwig2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 876
Thanks for that Bill and Harry. I recently started playing live with a second snare and my china off to the left of my hats. A couple times I wacked the snare when I meant to ride the china with my left, building new roads from the brain to the limbs, I always see it like that, You start clearing a path, (trying a new thing) as the path gets worn in it becomes a trail, then a road, then it gets some pavement, and finally when you just play without thinking about it anymore, the freeway has been completed.

I recently started playing live with a second snare and my china off to the left of my hats. A couple times I wacked the snare when I meant to ride the china with my left, building new roads from the brain to the limbs...

And that's the way it works. A wise old jazz cat drummer told me 20+ years ago, to put a drum left of the hats ... so I did ... and I've never stopped ...

i've been meaning to get a 2nd set of hats so i can set up my kit similarly to travis orbins.

edit: at TAFE where i study music i actually orbinated a rehearsal kit
247795_10150631795460650_513070649_19135268_2426629_n.jpg

Last edited:
Bill, how do you typically incorporate the toms to the left of the snare in this setup? Is it that you play patterns where you lead with the left hand or do you emphasize the off-beats with right hand lead sticking?

I once did this when I started playing tenors in my high school's line. The pictures should be on here somewhere.

It was pretty fun to play, but I didn't have the hardware to play my hats correctly. I think if I had the remote hi-hat pedal, I would still be using the setup.

Bill, how do you typically incorporate the toms to the left of the snare in this setup? Is it that you play patterns where you lead with the left hand or do you emphasize the off-beats with right hand lead sticking?

I play a million different things so there's no formula as to how they're used. When I play out I only use two toms to the right like a normal 4 piece. With the fuller set sometimes I'll have a mini snare to the left of the hi hat and a floor tom on the left side, with this there are just 4 toms. I wanted both sides to have high & low options so that I wouldn't be stuck with high toms on one side and low toms on the other. Occasionally I'll go straight down the drum r l r l, or the same with doubles, but it's usually something mixed up. It's actually really easy to get used to. Plus there's a little 4 piece kit within it so there's no reason to get confused with the increased options.

thanks!

cool setup....if you take away the cymbals..on the first Pic it look's not unlike a 'quads' set up...might give that a whirl myself!

Back