What to buy? Sold all my gear...

Thegshow

I've just sold my DW Collectors Series. It was an amazing kit but I bought it when I was in a modern pop band and now my new outfit is more blues soul rock, I want a deeper sound, with a warm low end.

I have my Craviotto snare still but that's currently going to be sold too I think. Its a very open dynamic sound with some great high end but its just not fitting with the new sound.
Craviotto.jpg

So now I have some decisions to make on next purchase before we start touring in the new year.

I've purchase a custom snare made of Poplar, by Riccardo Lodi, a young Italian drum builder. It was a bit of a show stopper at The London Drum Show last weekend so I had to buy it. Its a deeper 6" snare with better low end thanks to the pioppo wood. Feels great to play.

Poplar.jpg

So next steps I need a kit, currently I've been keen to look at Gretsch, Premier and Beverley Drums. There is a shop near me selling a 9000 series Yamaha any thoughts on this, its a GA Recording Standard model? Think it might sound too similar to my DW.

silvers.jpg

Ideally I want a Premier, something warm with low end. Would be keen to hear recommendations, I played a top of line Premier at weekend and it was great.

I think Gretsch may have the warm sound you are looking for. they have a more rounded bearing edge so its less focused on attack.

Thanks, I've looked at a renown online. About £1k. Not much about second hand in UK at the moment from what I can see.

Which stand was that? I struggled at the drum show it was so loud and so many kids I couldn't concentrate to make buying decisions.

I struggled at the drum show it was so loud and so many kids I couldn't concentrate to make buying decisions.

This is funny !

But it does make sense. How does one hear and decide on the drum sound they like at a drum show with all of that drum pounding going on ? LOL

....Ideally I want a Premier, something warm with low end. Would be keen to hear recommendations, I played a top of line Premier at weekend and it was great.

I'm gonna' go out on a limb and suggest you get a top of the line Premier kit.

Which stand was that? I struggled at the drum show it was so loud and so many kids I couldn't concentrate to make buying decisions.
Agreed on the noise :(, but hey, that's drum shows! Guru Drums.

Our website: http://www.gurudrums.co.uk

The stand looked like this -

Attachments

• 2014 stand front.jpg
    2014 stand front.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 2014 show stand corner.jpg
    2014 show stand corner.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 231
  • 2014show stand side.jpg
    2014show stand side.jpg
    881.9 KB · Views: 227
Hey Guru guy, I see a Guru work shirt hanging in the booth by the cymbal display, are those for sale now????

Yes I did see the Guru drums, sounded amazing.
Just probably going to be outside of my price range.

Think the Premier Modern Classic is what I want to buy, but again I don't want to spend that much money. Ideally i'd like a nice secondhand kit for just under £1k shell pack only.

Yes I did see the Guru drums, sounded amazing.
Just probably going to be outside of my price range.

Think the Premier Modern Classic is what I want to buy, but again I don't want to spend that much money. Ideally i'd like a nice secondhand kit for just under £1k shell pack only.
In the used market, look around for something with mahogany or walnut shells if possible. You can always get the bearing edges cut to further reduce higher overtones & feature the lower fundamental more. If you like Premier, then an 80's resonator is a fairly warm drum. Heavy though. They sound especially good with half round over edges if you're shooting for a warm vibe. Fairly heavy to haul around though.

Hey Guru guy, I see a Guru work shirt hanging in the booth by the cymbal display, are those for sale now????
No :)

Pearl Masterworks? Thoughts, there is one for sale near me in Mappa burl? Not sure what that looks like. I'm off to see it today.

Back