Favorite Song to Rock out To?

Hewitt2

What's that *one* song that whenever you hear it (and wherever) makes you want to run to the nearest drum set and totally rock out?

For me, it has to be Los Endos from Genesis's live disc Seconds Out, particularly the last bit which reprises Squonk. Funny enough, my neighobur had a BBQ yesterday and halfway through the event this song shockingly came blaring out the speakers (I definitely need to talk music with him next time I see him). I happened to be near my drumset and jumped on just in time to catch my favorite part and play along in all my glory. I think the mixture of joy and surprise caused me to go a little overboard and crack my China cymbal, but oh well - totally worth it.

What about you guys? Any similar experiences?

Lately it's tool. Schism, Lateralus, Eulogy, Pushit and stuff from undertow. I thought I was past them but revisiting their stuff right now - I'm having fun.

What's that *one* song that whenever you hear it (and wherever) makes you want to run to the nearest drum set and totally rock out?

For me, it has to be Los Endos from Genesis's live disc Seconds Out, particularly the last bit which reprises Squonk. Funny enough, my neighobur had a BBQ yesterday and halfway through the event this song shockingly came blaring out the speakers (I definitely need to talk music with him next time I see him). I happened to be near my drumset and jumped on just in time to catch my favorite part and play along in all my glory. I think the mixture of joy and surprise caused me to go a little overboard and crack my China cymbal, but oh well - totally worth it.

What about you guys? Any similar experiences?

You mean this part, right? http://youtu.be/0cLQWD2_2kg?t=4m20s

I agree, Dre. Schizm. That's when the air drums come out.

I like the Allman Bros. Whipping Post too.

Probably "Summer of 69" by Bryan Adams. It's instantly recognizable, the women dig it, and it has some cool fills. What more could you ask for?

If these two songs by Michael Jackson come on, there had better be a drum set near by.
I can't resist the urge to groove with these songs.

( I just gotta' add the drum fills and ghost notes that were not in the original recordings.)

Remember The Time : http://youtu.be/5fhnDlap6Gg

The Way You Make Me Feel: http://youtu.be/KLfBtdr2wtw

If these two songs by Michael Jackson come on, there had better be a drum set near by.
I can't resist the urge to groove with these songs.

( I just gotta' add the drum fills and ghost notes that were not in the original recordings.)

Remember The Time : http://youtu.be/5fhnDlap6Gg

The Way You Make Me Feel: http://youtu.be/KLfBtdr2wtw

Oh yeah, Saw a Mike Johnston video (which I can't find right now) where he talks about jamming over songs with a drum machine and just trying anything you can think of. Two of my favorites for this are Remember the Time and Usher's You Make Me Wanna. The groove and tempo of them is about the limit of what I can do in gospel chop type fills like LRKK 16ths.

Message in a Bottle by The Police. There are so many possibilities for grooving during the long fade out. Copeland's drumming always gets me going but that track is the tipping point for me.

not a big fan of the term Rock Out, though. but i know what you mean.

ps: do you think your neighbor was sonic-ly inviting you over ?

lol yes - who knows, it might have been some sort of Siren song.

Seriously though, who in this day and age blasts out old school prog rock at a BBQ comprising primarily of young families and grandparents? And a live album at that? I'm definitely not complaining, but certainly a unique and highly individual choice.

"rock out:" agreed it isn't the coolest of terms, but it invokes the type of energy and joy I was hoping to convey.

Tops on my list is Toto's Hold the Line.

Jeff Porcaro on "Hold the Line", in a 1988 interview with Modern Drummer:

"That was me trying to play like Sly Stone's original drummer, Greg Errico, who played drums on "Hot Fun In The Summertime." The hi-hat is doing triplets, the snare drum is playing 2 and 4 backbeats, and the bass drum is on 1 and the & of 2. That 8th note on the second beat is an 8th-note triplet feel, pushed. When we did the tune, I said, "Gee, this is going to be a heavy four-on-the-floor rocker, but we want a Sly groove." The triplet groove of the tune was David's writing. It was taking the Sly groove and meshing it with a harder rock caveman approach."

I always thought it WAS a caveman approach. I'll have to listen to the drums with a more critical ear...

Well, it depends on what you mean by "rock out"...

If you mean rocking out, as in headbanging rocking out, then anything heavy metal

If you mean rocking out on the drums, then neil peart, or heavy metal.

Right now, it's Dishwalla "Counting Blue Cars." Just something about playing that song that makes me wanna pound the crap outta them (well, you know, the chorus)

Yea, if you mean all-out, sweat-inducing, heart-pumping songs to immediately drum to (including air drumming!) then it would have to be some of these:

Deftones - Swerve City
Pearl Jam - Blood
The Killers - Mr. Brightside
Chevelle - Take Out The Gunman
RATM - Born of a Broken Man

Back