CB 700

J

Jusstickinaround

Anyone remember the CB 700 drums? Someone told me that my Gretsch Catalina jazz kit is made from the same kind of mohogany that the CB's were made from. Now I use to own some CB's a long time ago and I don't recall them as sounding anywhere near as good as my Gretsch kit. If it is the same kind of mohogany maybe it has something to do with how they are made. Thanks.

There's almost no way the CB700 and Gretsch are made from the same wood. There are actually two types of wood called mahogany (if I'm not mistaken): African mahogany, and Philippine mahogany. African mahogany is what your Gretsch is made from (I know this for a fact); it is more expensive, and much better in sound quality than Philippine mahogany. Philippine mahogany (I think it's also known as lauan, and a few other names) is what your CB700 is most likely made of. It is a wood that is commonly used in cheaper drums, and its sound quality is inferior to that of African mahogany.

Last edited:
The Gretsch is made from the same stuff as the CB700. I'm fairly sure of it.

It's all about the build quality.

There's almost no way the CB700 and Gretsch are made from the same wood. There are actually two types of wood called mahogany (if I'm not mistaken): African mahogany, and Philippine mahogany. African mahogany is what your Gretsch is made from (I know this for a fact); it is more expensive, and much better in sound quality than Philippine mahogany. Philippine mahogany (I think it's also known as lauan, and a few other names) is what your CB700 is most likely made of. It is a wood that is commonly used in cheaper drums, and its sound quality is inferior to that of African mahogany.

Id say your right - ive read about this before, and there are two types of mahogany.

...Although I'm pretty sure African Mahogany is getting harder to come by. My guitar may be made from it, but its use in drums is now actually very limited. For instance, Pearl stopped using African Mahogany from their Export line a few years back and opted for Poplar. Generally speaking if a kit's sales hype says 'genuine mahogany' then it's Phillipine Mahogany or Luan, which is a very cheap wood, not dissimilar to Basswood. I'll repeat, I'm pretty sure the Gretsch is made from Luan and is actually just made a lot better than the CB700, which will actually make the most difference.

Add in the fact that African Mahogany is actually much darker than Luaan, and there you have it. The Gretsch kits have fairly pale interiors which would indicate Luan.

...Although I'm pretty sure African Mahogany is getting harder to come by. My guitar may be made from it, but its use in drums is now actually very limited. For instance, Pearl stopped using African Mahogany from their Export line a few years back and opted for Poplar. Generally speaking if a kit's sales hype says 'genuine mahogany' then it's Phillipine Mahogany or Luan, which is a very cheap wood, not dissimilar to Basswood. I'll repeat, I'm pretty sure the Gretsch is made from Luan and is actually just made a lot better than the CB700, which will actually make the most difference.

Add in the fact that African Mahogany is actually much darker than Luaan, and there you have it. The Gretsch kits have fairly pale interiors which would indicate Luan.

I think you may be right, but the sound from my Gretsch kit is far superior to the CB's I once owned. It's funny, but this kit sounds as good as any I've owned and I've had Fibes, Yamaha Absolutes, DW's, Premier, Sonor, and Ludwig. None of which were by any means entry level kits, it must be in the construction. After owning this kit I wonder why I blew all my money, I guess for the resale value. Then again what are the other Gretsch club kits made from? I've heard some of them and they don't seem to sound as good.

Ad think about the few kits on the market that are actually made of real african mahogany; the only that come to mind initially are the Pearl masters MHX and the limited edition Gretsch Renown Purewood kit (just like Topcat's, but not walnut). Both of these are not near the cost of the Catalina and especially the CB.
The Catalina Club kits (Rock, jazz and Mod) are all made of Phillipine Mahogany. The biggest difference between them and the CB is build quality. Great edges, well made shells, and solid construction are why your Gretsch sounds great.

Take the heads off and compare the bearing edges on the drums. Yes, it makes that much of a difference.

The Gretsch Renown Series states 6 ply pure 100% african mahogany shells. The Catalina Jazz shells http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=series&sid=531 they make no claim to origin of the so-called mahogany. The mahogany from the good old days was North and South American in origin. Now, about the only equivilant wood comes from Honduras (Central America). Hardly any of that wood is used in drum shells. Peru limits it's mahogany tree harvest to 2 trees per 1000. African mahogany http://www.exotichardwoods-africa.com/mahoganyafrican.htm at least, for the most part, is of the mahogany family. Philippine mahogany http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/mahogany, philippine.htm a distant cousin maybe. CB700's, purveyors of cheap drums for 40 years now. Gretsch, gotta do what ya gotta do to stay in the game. They still make great drums. And they make cheap drums too.

Please post a picture of the bearing edges... The wood is all well and good but you could have a nice sounding kit hiding in there somewhere.

The Gretsch's bearing edges are well cut. And the shells are very well made, of that I'm sure. It just goes to show what little difference the wood *really* makes.

Please post a picture of the bearing edges... The wood is all well and good but you could have a nice sounding kit hiding in there somewhere.

Here's a photo of the 14x14 bearing edge. They are 30 degree bearing edges.

Attachments

• 0325071734bearinedge.jpg
    0325071734bearinedge.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,608
Last edited:
Here's another of the same drum. Like I said, the kit sounds great, I agree with MFB, the wood doesn't make that much of a difference, it's the quality of the construction of the shell itself.

Attachments

• 0325071734bbearingedge2.jpg
    0325071734bbearingedge2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,666
A few more photo's of the 14x14 floor tom.

Attachments

• 0325071734a.jpg
    0325071734a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,620
The drums are well made as you can see in photo's.

Attachments

• 0325071735a.jpg
    0325071735a.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,633
My first set was a CB. Surprisingly not the worst set on the market, but pretty bad either way.

Back