"The New School" NYC...is there a chance?

Drummer Karl

KARL MEMBER
Hi friends!

Well, here`s the little introductory story:

Our singer went for an au-pair stay with a family from Cleveland after finishing her A-levels. Her neighbour in Cleveland is the drummer of the "Cleveland Jazz Project". Since she knows that I`m a Jazz lover she told me about him and about the band. I contacted him...I was really impressed with his playing style, vibe and attitude. A really nice guy!
Now, after some time he got a scholarship for "The New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music" in New York City...well, long story short:
He told me to give it a try as well. The experience he`s gaining is huge he said.

I thought about attending such a music faculty and New School even awards scholarships.
My problem is that I couldn`t afford attending the faculty at all, I`m dependent from getting a scholarship.

Is this a good option to ponder? Has anybody got experience with this faculty? How high is the standard since I`m not from the USA and since the grade of scholarship would be merit-based for me as a foreigner?
For people who accidentally ;-) know me and my music: What would you say about this option?

Thanks in advance for help!

Karl

Well, you could not try it and spend the rest of your life wondering if you should have applied to the New School.

If I remember correctly Bernard Purdie and Daphnis Prieto teach there and you'd be in NYC the belly of the beast. The New School has always had a reputation for being on the cutting edge.

Hey Karl, its been awhile! I agree with Ken...if you do not look into this opportunity further then you will more than likely have that regret the rest of your life and going to NYC would not be a bad thing at all...a young man like yourself with the talent you have may root something up along the way. Look into it; who knows what may come of it!

Let us know what takes place!

What's the matter with trying?

I applied to Belmont University in Nashville even though I doubted I would get in, BUT I got in anyway! (I've decided to go to Belmont as a music business major.) Just give it a shot! You should also apply to other schools. At least one of them will give you a scholarship.

I have confidence you'll get a scholarship. You are intelligent, talented, and a nice guy. They have to give you one.

Hey, thank you so much for your opinion!
I couldn`t agree more with you...why not? You`re absolutely right about giving it a try.

You know, the only thing I was kinda afraid of was that the whole procedure seems to be very very complicated, as a foreigner I don`t even understand every word or the structure of financing it.

Though these are just some technical issues and I`ve got about a year to comprehend all the requirements and financial issues till I take the A-levels.

Karl

Karl, my sense is that the New School's strengths are short term summer programs. I haven't been it touch with it for ages, so I might be wrong but it isn't really known for in depth learning. The have some heavy guys on the faculty, Reggie Workman and Chico Hamilton and some others but I'm not sure how intensive it is. Is it worth all that money? Maybe...

With your ability and passion for jazz, honestly...? It makes much more sense for you to work individually with some of the great NYC teachers and soak in the jazz scene in the city which is worth an education in itself, even if you do it for a month or so.. My opinion.

Karl, my sense is that the New School's strengths are short term summer programs. I haven't been it touch with it for ages, so I might be wrong but it isn't really known for in depth learning. The have some heavy guys on the faculty, Reggie Workman and Chico Hamilton and some others but I'm not sure how intensive it is. Is it worth all that money? Maybe...

With your ability and passion for jazz, honestly...? It makes much more sense for you to work individually with some of the great NYC teachers and soak in the jazz scene in the city which is worth an education in itself, even if you do it for a month or so.. My opinion.

I agree! that sounds like a much better and cheaper adventure to embark apon :)

That's good advice Abe. If you could get into a program, esp with a scholarship, that would be great. But there is no reason you couldn't take advantage of some of the great teachers NY has too offer either way. As a performer, even in a program, it is going to be your private study that is your main emphasis.

The benefits of a program, is that you could also concentrate on arranging and composition, which are good assets to have as a performer. It also gives you a host of players willing and eager to get together. a lot of careers are made from contacts made in music programs.

I was watching shenandoah with jimmy stewart yesterday. In the movie he says "We try so we can do; and if we don't do, what are we on earth for ?" I thought that was a great line. auditioning and applying for things in and of itself may have some rewards as far as clarifying your goals, focusing and understanding the process better.

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Well, I think I couldn`t afford living on my own in NYC. Regarding the family/parents I can`t get support....which is okay!
Though this makes me very dependent from a possible scholarship. I`m sure that this is my only opportunity to survive in Big Apple.

Housing appears to be usurping in New York City, unaffordable.

What do you think?

Karl

Its really hard to live in New York because its really expensive, and there are a lot of people just like you, Karl, depending on a big scholarship to be able to go to school, especially with how expensive music schools. Is the New School the only place you have looked into? There are other schools you could check out that arent so expensive, but still let you be in a good environment with good people and close to New York. I go to William Paterson University and I like it for the most part. There are a lot of good players and its a really relaxed vibe, plus its only a 40 minute bus ride right into the city, and its less than half of what it costs to go to the New School or Manhattan school, while some of the faculty teach at those schools as well. You could also check out Rutgers, which has a good program, but is about 5k more expensive than William Paterson. Im not saying William Paterson is perfect or absolutely ideal, but if you wanna go to a school where you can be right by New York, study with good people, and play with good people, while not ending up in massive amounts of debt, its a good option. The application is super easy, just send in recordings and theyll let you know, I think the deadline for next fall passed already though. Jeeeez, I feel like a commercial....

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Well, I think I couldn`t afford living on my own in NYC. Regarding the family/parents I can`t get support....which is okay!
Though this makes me very dependent from a possible scholarship. I`m sure that this is my only opportunity to survive in Big Apple.

Housing appears to be usurping in New York City, unaffordable.

What do you think?

Karl

Karl, here's the real deal. Seriously....

How about you came in as an au pair? It doesnt have to be girls, does it? I know a guy from Belgium who's an au pair...

Hook up with a great drum teacher here. There are lots of them.... take your pick. New York is all about drummers & horn players. A summer with any of the New York guys would be worth a lot more IMO.

Its not politically correct for me to day this but a lot of schools within the city unfortunately take advantage of the fact that the whole world thinks NYC is the center of the universe for anything & everything, and are happy to relieve you of your money.

Well, the truth is that it is the center of the universe..

..but not quite in the way they will have you believe.

Maybe I'm being too hard of the New School, Parsons, SVA etc, but to the power of NYC lies elsewhere. Great players, teachers, just a phone call away. Why pay tution fees?

Karl, here's the real deal. Seriously....

How about you came in as an au pair? It doesnt have to be girls, does it? I know a guy from Belgium who's an au pair...

Hook up with a great drum teacher here. There are lots of them.... take your pick. New York is all about drummers & horn players. A summer with any of the New York guys would be worth a lot more IMO.

Its not politically correct for me to day this but a lot of schools within the city unfortunately take advantage of the fact that the whole world thinks NYC is the center of the universe for anything & everything, and are happy to relieve you of your money.

Well, the truth is that it is the center of the universe..

..but not quite in the way they will have you believe.

Maybe I'm being too hard of the New School, Parsons, SVA etc, but to the power of NYC lies elsewhere. Great players, teachers, just a phone call away. Why pay tution fees?

You pay tuition fees for the environment, in my opinion. You pay to have a place to practice and people to practice with and learn from. I think a lot of people who have gone through a music program will tell you they learned as much from the other students as they did from the faculty or their private teachers. I play in ensembles 4 days a week and play with people and various groups Im in consistently every day. Yes, there are jam sessions in New York, but its not the kind of atmosphere you want as a student to be honest. Learning how to play well with OTHER people and make music, not just play the drums by yourself in a room. THeres a time and a place for individual practice, but theres something to be said about having access to people willing to play at any moment's notice because you ALL live together. If I wanna set up a session, I walk down a hall, find a bass player, find a piano player, and then we play. Thats what Im paying for. The access to like minded musicians.

Thanks so much for your advice Abe and Britt!
I really really appreciate your tips!

Does the William Peterson have a website? There`s a site for one in NJ, is this the one you`re attending? Unfortunately the website doesn`t work.
So Britt, can you tell me more about the program there? What is your title in the end?

Generally I`m very interested in every option around NYC. I do believe that life standard and the general atmosphere is "lighter" and better at faculties which aren`t directly located in New York. I`m thanksful that you share your experience about this with me!

As I said before, after finishing school this is one serious option for me.

Abe, I`m afraid of having no time for making music and taking lessons when coming in as a au-pair. Our singer always seems to be in a hurry and is really busy...and this without making music. Though it`s a good idea, great thought in general. I`ll definitly keep this in mind!

Karl

Hey Karl,
Yeah, its in New Jersey and the program does have a website. Here it is: http://www.wpunj.edu/College_of_Arts_and_Communications/music/index1.php?p=jazz.

Its in NJ, but its a $7 and 45 minute bus ride to the city, so access is pretty easy. When you graduate, youll have either a Bachelor's Degree of Music in Jazz Performance or a Bachelor's Degree in Music Education with an emphasis in Jazz Performance, or something like that. If you do the ed track, you just have a few more courses in Education and learning different instruments, but you still have your jazz courses and your ensembles.

The program is good. As with any music school, everybody has some gripes, but overall theres good stuff going on and the people there have a nice vibe for the most part, students and faculty both. You play in at least 2 ensembles and each of these rehearses twice a week. Sometimes ensembles are really fun, sometimes theyre a drag, but you learn stuff from all of them. For instance, I had en ensemble I really didnt dig last semester because ALL we did was play straight-ahead be-bop, but my repetoire expanded so much. SO you get something out of everything.

I would check it out. Its a good way to get near the city for not nearly as high of a price and still study with good people. Good luck with your search Karl! All the Best!

Well Karl, I hope you make it to NYC.

Even the New School, if thats what it takes.

10 blocks south ( 15 minute walk ) gets you to lots and lots of jazz clubs at the very least.

( On the au pair bit, I dont think its work/work/work.... this guy gets enough time off to have a life of his own : )

Back