A new reason to have two snare drums???

Crispykids

The other day I saw this video on youtube and this kid was showing off some grooves mixed with a solo. It was not bad but near the end he started making this weird sound from one of his drums and I was like, WTF is that?!! He mounted his second snare like a tom-tom, turned it upside down with the snare wires showing and he would slide his drumstick across the snare wire and it sounded like a DJ was scratching a record, it was nuts.

Anyway try it out.

I was at a Matt Wilson concert with his band Matt Wilson's Arts and Crafts, and he did this with VERY cool results. After experimenting a lot with it myself, I've realized how difficult it is... I would have to practice it a tad more to feel comfortable with it for a performance, but when done right it is DEFINITELY a crowd pleaser. At the aforementioned concert, he did a lot; he stuck a toy duckie in his hi-hats and instead of a "chick" it would make a "squeak" everytime he played the hats with his foot, he also loosened his snare wires and plucked them in rhythm, producing a weird atonal banjo effect (he may have changed pressure on the batter head while doing this, it was hard to see from where I was sitting), and shouted through his snare with the wires engaged to get a distorted kind of effect.

Check him out.
http://drummerworld.com/drummers/Matt_Wilson.html

benny grabb is schratching like this

Back