Pearl Masters Premium Mahogany

Cringe

Heyas,

Im just in need of some advice , im looking to upgrade from my begginer acoustic kit after playing for about 3 years, I currently dont gig so its mainly more of kit I can enjoy whilst I continue my journey practicing.

The Kit im seriously considering purchasing is the Pearl Masters Premium Mahogany Limted Edition 4piece shellpack which consists of a 22x18" bassdrum, 10x8, 12x9 and 14x14 toms. All made from African Mahogany 4ply shells with Maple Reinforcement rings.

The type of music I enjoy and aspire to play one day would be sort of Rock/Funk/Pop and a dash of metal lol so im not looking for a jazz kit.

My concern though is that if its my first and last upgrade from my acoustic kit for quite sometime maybe I should just look to purchase a straight up normal Maple or Birch kit ? The fact that this mahogany kit is Limted Edition makes me want it even more lol

So does anyone have any experience with these kits? Do you guys think I should go for it with the Mahogany ? or maybe lead with my head instead of my heart and look for a maple/birch kit ?

The other Maple/Birch Kits I was looking into somewhat in my price range were the
Pearl Masters Custom MCX , or the PDP Platinum range.

P.S. this shellpack is going for $4000 australian dollars and my current begginer kit is a $900 BillyHyde ( Australian Music Store Brand ) Drumkit.

Too See/Hear what this Mahogany kit looks/sounds like check out below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qL3vDwMBQ
http://www.pearleurope.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=535&ColorID=142&TabId=1

Seriously any help would definetly be greatly appreciated guys thanks.

that kit looks and sounds amazing to me. I love the notes the toms are tuned to, it sounds perfect to me. It is for sure a professional grade kit. Mahogany has traditionally made great studio kits for recording. The problem with mahogany live is that it doesn't project as much as maple or birch, and if your playing in unmiked situations you can get lost in the mix, especially in louder genres.

But based on that youtube video that kit sounds like it has no problem projecting. it would be interesting to compare that kit to a similar maple kit and check out how they project. (have somebody else play them and listen across the room)

good luck!

mcbike dude, thanks for your input man I really appreciate it. Im seriously close to purchasing this kit hopefully within the next couple of days...

Just wondering if anyone else has played or owned this kit before ?

cheers.

hi! the pearl is a fantastic kit , you can play everything with them .

you were talking about this being your final upgrade . here is what I think , you have been playing for three years , you are not a biginer but I don't think that you made your final decission about what kind off drums you like , your ear is still developing and you migth change your mind .(that's what happened to me )

so ,if I were you I would buy a used pro kit and save a big amount of money and then a couple of years later, when you have figured out exactly what you like , then buy your final kit.

Cringe im in the same boat you are with the whole "I've been playing three years and I wanna get a new kit" thing and while I LOVE the sound of the Pearl Mahogany set I agree with Enrico that you should probably just buy a used "pro" kit and wait a couple of years before buying your last kit.

enrico and music is awesome guys thanks heaps for your comments, And I totally agree about trying to buy the used pro kits ! unfortunately I live in Australia where there aren't too many options when it comes to buying used drumkits like on ebay, but seriously guys I really appreciate your comments !!

I was wondering if anyone else who lives in australia can recommend places where I should look for used drum kits ? I can only think of ebay which doesnt have much at all

As of 2010 the Pearl Masters Premium line has been discontinued. No I am not blowing smoke out my ass, no it is not April Fools. Seriously, Pearl discontinued the Masters Premium line. Stupid move on their part!

As of 2010 the Pearl Masters Premium line has been discontinued. No I am not blowing smoke out my ass, no it is not April Fools. Seriously, Pearl discontinued the Masters Premium line. Stupid move on their part!

Probably a cost-cutting measure. I play Reference and they're beautiful drums. I'm guessing they see a lot more sales in other lines and saw it as a good way to streamline business in the tough times ahead.

just thought I would let you guys and anyone else who is interested know that I decided to follow through with the Masters Premium Mahogany kit, its on lay-away at the moment, but I will definetly post some photos of the kit once I have it in my posession :) After the salesman dropped the price down again it was a done deal !!!!

Heyas,

Im just in need of some advice , im looking to upgrade from my begginer acoustic kit after playing for about 3 years, I currently dont gig so its mainly more of kit I can enjoy whilst I continue my journey practicing.

The Kit im seriously considering purchasing is the Pearl Masters Premium Mahogany Limted Edition 4piece shellpack which consists of a 22x18" bassdrum, 10x8, 12x9 and 14x14 toms. All made from African Mahogany 4ply shells with Maple Reinforcement rings.

The type of music I enjoy and aspire to play one day would be sort of Rock/Funk/Pop and a dash of metal lol so im not looking for a jazz kit.

My concern though is that if its my first and last upgrade from my acoustic kit for quite sometime maybe I should just look to purchase a straight up normal Maple or Birch kit ? The fact that this mahogany kit is Limted Edition makes me want it even more lol

So does anyone have any experience with these kits? Do you guys think I should go for it with the Mahogany ? or maybe lead with my head instead of my heart and look for a maple/birch kit ?

The other Maple/Birch Kits I was looking into somewhat in my price range were the
Pearl Masters Custom MCX , or the PDP Platinum range.

P.S. this shellpack is going for $4000 australian dollars and my current begginer kit is a $900 BillyHyde ( Australian Music Store Brand ) Drumkit.

Too See/Hear what this Mahogany kit looks/sounds like check out below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qL3vDwMBQ
http://www.pearleurope.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=535&ColorID=142&TabId=1

Seriously any help would definetly be greatly appreciated guys thanks.

See PM.

just thought I would let you guys and anyone else who is interested know that I decided to follow through with the Masters Premium Mahogany kit, its on lay-away at the moment, but I will definetly post some photos of the kit once I have it in my posession :) After the salesman dropped the price down again it was a done deal !!!!

Can I swear on Drummerworld??????

I was in such a hurry to PM this guy I never got to the last post. A pity.

Our you could get a Tama Starclasic bubinga/maple. I have one and i was considering the Masters but played one and i thought it wasn't even on the same page as the tama.

Here are a few pics of my kit it looks ten times better in the flesh and the bass drum sounds thunderous, the best kit i have ever heard and played.

Attachments

• DSCF0099.jpg
    DSCF0099.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,825
  • DSCF0102.jpg
    DSCF0102.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,130
  • DSCF0129.jpg
    DSCF0129.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 3,125
Back