David Letterman Drum Solo Week II

I love Copeland's energy. Sure, he's not got the chops of the other guys but I just don't care. I wasn't too fond of the music but he has some serious energy and his drums sound utterly unique. He's a total one-off.

MFB again displays immense wisdom! Copeland is a true master indeed.

Yes, it's off the Orchestralli album, which is an utterly fantastic collection of music and drumming ability. No, it's not a blinding collection of chops, but it is chalk full of subtly complex poly rhythms and wicked tempo changes, always maintaining that superb SC feel. It doesn't even sound all that difficult to play at first listen, but I would challenge just about anyone else to do it justice. It is, IMO, his masterwork.

Additional Orchestralli material.

My absolute favorite of the Orchestralli material is the piece he wrote for the Ensemble Bash guys, who appear on the disc as well: "Gene Pool." Fantastic song. Great snare and tom introduction followed by a classic, funky syncopated bass drum pattern of Stewart's. Great music!

To really see just how unique Stewart's playing is, it is fun to compare Ensemble Bash's version of "Gene Pool" (on their album Launch) with the one on Orchestralli that has Stewart himself on drums: noticeable difference in the energy and tempo of the playing, big time.

Good one Abe! I posted this a couple of weeks ago, just to show there is a good side to the UK after that riot bandwagon opportunist stupidity. Two superb players, with Simon happy to be the foundation player for the most part, lovely!

Ok, Andy's take (for what it's worth):

Tony = super impressive chops left me cold after a few moments, but major points for delivering the energy & theatrics that the general audience expects.

Gavin = just cool, creative, accurate & impressively musical from start to finish, with a wonderful chops to groove transition in the final band section. Captivating!

Stewart = the most enjoyable solo to date. Partly because it was the most music focussed, partly because of the enjoyment/energy vibe, & partly because it was accessible/attainable to a hack like me.

End of solo week? Only 3 players? What's happened to Dennis, has he been gummed out?

Nobody plays drums like Stewart Copeland... that solo was one for all the students out there who want to have the chops of a Royster or Harrison with none of the finesse - you need musicality and to play with the music, and that's exactly what SC has done here!

By the way, since when has he played a double pedal? Or is that a new trick he's pulled out of his sleeve?

Gavin was by far the best drummer yet. I've always been a police fan, but I think Stewart was out of his element. He's a song player not a solo drummer, seemed technically challenged compared to Gavin, but his recorded performances from the police will live forever. Chambers will blow them all away. Where's Steve Smith? We need drum week three to be Steve Smith, Thomas Lang, Jo Jo Mayer, Stanton Moore and Dave Weckl.

I remember seeing a video on the Tama website where he gave a tour of his kit when the police were back together and near the end he said that he had started using the Iron Cobra doubles. I remember when I first listened to the CD they released after the tour and I heard a double bass run during "when the world is running down / voices inside my head". I was quite surprised.

By the way does anybody know if Dennis Chambers will be making an appearance or not? I will certainly be gutted if he doesn't. Its been quite nice to wake up to a new drum solo everyday this week.

SC and double pedal, I was surprised also. I'm very glad that he (among others) also uses a double pedal. I appreciate that as being open-minded and willing to explore/incorporate more percussion elements/techniques/means existing. Today I saw a video of Phil Collins from the 1996 Montreux Jazz Festival and to me it seemed that on maybe 2 spots he was playing heel-toe on a double pedal. Isn't that cool??? (I'm more into metal and love double bass, being aware that like with every tool in one's arsenal, it can be too much of a good thing at times or even not match a certain piece of music completely.) I admire the 'normal' drummers who've mastered the double pedal to incorporate it seamlessly into their playing without being obtrusive. Some people sneer at double pedal playing, but whoever tried to get along with one should have grasped that it's a new tool which has to be mastered the same way as any other technique (time and effort).

SC and double pedal, I was surprised also. I'm very glad that he (among others) also uses a double pedal. I appreciate that as being open-minded and willing to explore/incorporate more percussion elements/techniques/means existing. Today I saw a video of Phil Collins from the 1996 Montreux Jazz Festival and to me it seemed that on maybe 2 spots he was playing heel-toe on a double pedal. Isn't that cool??? (I'm more into metal and love double bass, being aware that like with every tool in one's arsenal, it can be too much of a good thing at times or even not match a certain piece of music completely.) I admire the 'normal' drummers who've mastered the double pedal to incorporate it seamlessly into their playing without being obtrusive. Some people sneer at double pedal playing, but whoever tried to get along with one should have grasped that it's a new tool which has to be mastered the same way as any other technique (time and effort).
Well said.................

Hard not to be critical of that one. I will be nice. I guess Neil should of just played YYZ. Same difference. He is not in the same league as most of the others as far as chops and solos go. It was drum solo week after all. Duncan, you and I must be from different planets. :) As a lot of you would say, "It left me Cold", or "He doesn't do it for me".
P.S. Isn't everyone glad that the drummers didn't bring their four pieces. :)

I really enjoyed Gavin - he had some great groove sections going on... which to me is a good as the really technoflash parts of a solo, and also gets the non-drummer audience in the 'Ed Sullivan' involved too.
Not listened to much of his stuff before but I'm certainly going looking now...

Nice work Gavin!!!!

Meat

Bozzio....Drum Solo week 3 should there be one needs Bozzio...in fact I'd make it Zappa week Bozzio, Wackerman, Vinnie......Humphries.....

I had to laugh when I saw people commenting on Tony Roysters DWs saying they didn't sound good....ANY drum when tuned in the wrinkle range in a flat sounding studio enviornment won't sound as good. It's Tuning...it's not "DW drums bad". Holy heck. it's usually the Yamaha fans who apparently just hate DW these days who do this. Ridiculous IMHO.

Tuning a bit higher can actually give you a fuller rounder sound.

Loved seeing Stewart play. I own all of his stuff, including the Orchestralli DVD/album, so it was cool seeing him solo to this material. He plays with such energy--such a joy!

Tony Royster Jr. should call Gavin for a drum solo lesson. Tony's was dull, dull--which is how I usually find his playing. Gavin's solo was fantastic, creative, and fun by comparsion. Tony's just your typical gifted chops player. Yawn. He kind of reminds me of Freddy Adu in the soccer world: a whole lot of talent and hype surrounded him, and he basically has gone nowhere major with it.

Really? He's landed a gig with one of the biggest acts in the world, and he's gone nowhere?

EDIT: Just watched the Copeland video....sounds like the same drummer he was 20 years ago, but whereas I loved his style with the Police, that music does nothing for me.

Last edited:
Tony Royster Jr. should call Gavin for a drum solo lesson. Tony's was dull, dull--which is how I usually find his playing. Gavin's solo was fantastic, creative, and fun by comparsion. Tony's just your typical gifted chops player. Yawn. He kind of reminds me of Freddy Adu in the soccer world: a whole lot of talent and hype surrounded him, and he basically has gone nowhere major with it.

You do know he plays with Jay-Z, right? If that doesn't count as going nowhere major, I'd really like to know what your definition of "major" is.

As for his solo, I tend to agree... It was pretty dull. Of all his solos that I've seen, the famous one he played at 12 is still his best one in my opinion. Then again, I'm not really a drum solo guy, and there can be little doubt that Tony can play rings around just about anyone in the hip-hop scene today when it comes to playing in a music setting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did anyone notice that SC's break was exactly 32 bars? I think his 4-bar countoff at the end of the break wasn't really necessary to bring the band back, and was done only for dramatic effect.

Its very very very cool of Letterman to feature drummers. I remember seeing stuff like this (BR on Carson, Muppets etc.) when I was a kid and it lit a fire under me. I'd predict a wave of incredible young drummers about 10 years from now who mention Letterman's drummer weeks as a huge source of inspiration.

Its very very very cool of Letterman to feature drummers. I remember seeing stuff like this (BR on Carson, Muppets etc.) when I was a kid and it lit a fire under me. I'd predict a wave of incredible young drummers about 10 years from now who mention Letterman's drummer weeks as a huge source of inspiration.
Very good point. Nothing like a drum solo on a nice kit to get people interested, especially kids. Too bad it was on so late. At least we have youtube now.

Even though you chose not to mention any drummers so far by name, which I suspect you did in order not to appear to overtly omit SC, I can't help but agree completely with your assessment here. I too saw BR on Carson, the Muppets, and various Jerry Lewis Telethons and I know that it fueled my interest in drumming. That, and my little bout with Beatle-mania.

Bozzio....Drum Solo week 3 should there be one needs Bozzio...in fact I'd make it Zappa week Bozzio, Wackerman, Vinnie......Humphries.....

I had to laugh when I saw people commenting on Tony Roysters DWs saying they didn't sound good....ANY drum when tuned in the wrinkle range in a flat sounding studio enviornment won't sound as good. It's Tuning...it's not "DW drums bad". Holy heck. it's usually the Yamaha fans who apparently just hate DW these days who do this. Ridiculous IMHO.

Tuning a bit higher can actually give you a fuller rounder sound.
who criticized DW as such?? I just read comments (and wrote one myself) about his drums
not sounding good. Didn't mention the brand, let alone make them responsible.

Back