Ride and Crash Cymbal Placement

getbeats

I've been working on rearranging my set ergonomically, and Ive got everything but the cymbals set up. How far away should a Crash cymbal and ride be from you?

Where it's comfortable for you.

There is no set standard for drum places.... just what feels right for you

try to resist the current trend of putting them super high and flat. that may look cool, but i don't see how people play those setups.

All drummers have different heights, length of arms and feet! So, as already stated, put them where you feel comfortable to hit them at. Not too close or far away, and as Dairyairman said (didn't know you were on here, hello!) not too tall and flat! Your supposed to hit them with a 'glancing bow,' NOT at a 90 degree angle in relation to the stick (slight exaggeration!) so it cuts through the stick like a knife through butter!

I've been working on rearranging my set ergonomically, and Ive got everything but the cymbals set up. How far away should a Crash cymbal and ride be from you?

its definitely a personal choice.i think place them so you can reach them easily and play relaxed with as less effort as possible. also in a way that lets you easily use the whole cymbal, best example would be: easy access to a rides bow, bell and edge.

for me i have all mine pretty low. i think setting up for show is silly when you could be motivated by what makes you feel the most relaxed behind the set.

Back