I'm about to buy a Tama Starclassic...? HELP

**PICS** I'm about to buy a Tama Starclassic...? HELP

So im at Alto Music and they have on the top shelf a slightly used Tama Starclassic kit. Now this kit is HUGE. Way bigger shells then a standard kit.
Let me explain the shell sizes.
The floor toms are 18x16 and 16x16. The upper two toms im not sure of there size and im pretty sure the kick is a standard 18x22 but not 100% sure.

My question is what kind of Starclassic is this? The guy told me birch but when i went on the Tama site i didnt see any just birches.

This finish is diamond sparkle. The upper toms are not connected to the kick so i dont think its the performer series.

Can anyone identify this? Is there anymore information i need?

Last edited:
Hard to say with the limited info you have, but here's a rundown:

There used to be birch Starclassics. These were called Starclassic Performer. They're no longer in production, but there are many of them floating around.

The current Starclassics are:
- Bubinga (separated into Bubinga, Bubinga Elite and Bubinga Omni-Tune)
- Maple
- A mix of Bubinga and Birch (this is the current version of the Performer)
- An ultra expensive and rare Steel kit called Warlord Exotix Spartan

Hard to say with the limited info you have, but here's a rundown:

There used to be birch Starclassics. These were called Starclassic Performer. They're no longer in production, but there are many of them floating around.

The current Starclassics are:
- Bubinga (separated into Bubinga, Bubinga Elite and Bubinga Omni-Tune)
- Maple
- A mix of Bubinga and Birch (this is the current version of the Performer)
- An ultra expensive and rare Steel kit called Warlord Exotix Spartan

When i was looking up the performer i saw that the shell sized of the floor toms were limited to i thing 14x16. The ones i saw in the store had the biggest floor toms i have ever seen. Also, dont perfomers have the attachment for the toms connected to the bass drum? This one didnt

A picture would be good. I do know the older, cheaper Starclassics don't have the matching tom mounts. My birch/bubinga kit has the matching suspension mount that matches the die cast rim chrome and melds into the design. The older cheaper Starclassics had black suspension mounts. But if you like them and they're in good shape, you shouldn't be disappointed regardless.

I will def be posting a picture up later tonight so you guys can try and identify it. It does not look like an old kit though whatsoever

I will def be posting a picture up later tonight so you guys can try and identify it. It does not look like an old kit though whatsoever

Cool. But the hardware design of the Starclassics hasn't changed between lines yet, so they would all look more or less the same. Did you get them to put them on the floor for you to play?

Cool. But the hardware design of the Starclassics hasn't changed between lines yet, so they would all look more or less the same. Did you get them to put them on the floor for you to play?

Im going to go there today and do that lol. Along with capturing some pics

This finish is diamond sparkle. The upper toms are not connected to the kick so i dont think its the performer series.

Can't say for sure whether or not it's a birch Starclassic Performer, but for a couple of years around 2000 or 2001 I owned a birch Performer that did not have bass drum mounts for the toms. Bought it new from Guitar Center, so I know they were birch Performers. They weren't nearly as common as the ones with the mounts, but they did exist. Plus, if memory serves, they offered it in a diamond sparkle wrap. Not saying this kit is a birch Performer, but it definitely could be.

Re: I'm about to buy a Tama Starclassic...? HELP **PICS**

Here are some pics of the set. Best i can get without them taking it down

Attachments

• tama 1 (1024x765).jpg
    tama 1 (1024x765).jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 1,278
  • tama 2 (765x1024).jpg
    tama 2 (765x1024).jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 727
  • tama 3 (765x1024).jpg
    tama 3 (765x1024).jpg
    646 KB · Views: 716
  • tama 4 (765x1024).jpg
    tama 4 (765x1024).jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 689
Starclassic Performer.

Eight-lug bass drum (the Maples have ten lugs) and birch is a Starclassic Performer.

Very high-quality, excellent drums. The price tag is a little high for a US purchase though.

Great!! thank you.

Now are these drums inferior to the bubinga? I know the bubinga are the top top quality. Are these a lower quality drums and what year do you think these are?

Great!! thank you.

Now are these drums inferior to the bubinga? I know the bubinga are the top top quality. Are these a lower quality drums and what year do you think these are?

I'm Tama would like you to think they're inferior to the bubinga, but at that point it's up to you about what you want. Other than the 8-lug bass drum Starclassics look pretty much the same. I've had the bubinga elites, and now I have a birch/bubinga, and I think I like the mix shell a little better. I got a good 'boing' sound from full bubinga, too. Those also have the 'visually integrated' suspension tom mounts on t he toms, so that suggests to me they must be somewhere in the middle before you get to bubinga. If you like how they sound, then it looks like you'll own a Starclassic in a color not everyone has.

I have a friend with a Birch Performer kit. It sounds great and will last you a lifetime. It's not the most expensive Tama but it is a totally pro kit.

BTW i played these drums the other day....best sounding floor toms i have ever heard in my life. I've played some other really high end kits but this is THE BEST kit i have ever heard. Put my down payment on it the other day and should be a proud new owner of a Tama Starclassic this weekend. Very excited!!

I love the sound of Tama drums. Great score.

Back