Switching from Yamaha to Mapex!

SimSalaBim

Hi

I know it all comes down to personal preference and all but I think I need some change and want to switch from Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes to Mapex either Orion or Saturn. Is the change worth it cause I don't wanna regret the decision?

Well, I'm no expert, but if you are going to get a Saturn now is the time. All of the old ones seem to be selling off really cheap. Go to any Mapex dealer online and you will see what I mean. I guess they are getting rid of them and replacing them with the new Saturns, which people don't seem to like as much as the old ones.

What is the reason that you want to switch? You're right sometimes decisions like these can be very personal, but for me I wouldn't take the step backwards.

Dennis

I would advise you to go slow, unless you are convinced the sound you like can be found with the new drums.
I believe the Orions features primarily upgraded finishes, as opposed to a significant difference in either wood or construction quality.
The Saturns have Walnut, which is definitely a different sound.
I have owned the Birch Custom absolutes, and they were the easiest drums to tune I have owned, and sounded great in any venue.
I have also owned the Saturns, which are also great drums, with a unique sound. My concern is that you might sell a really excellent quality kit, then realize it was really an excellent quality kit which is hard to replace.Yamaha quality control is second to none, especially in their premium lines.
Don't know what your finances are like, but you might buy the Mapex, then decide which one to keep...

Not to confuse matters, but the bubinga Tama and Sonor ascent kits are also a consideration...

Also consider that Mapex resale on the used market is the pits. Yamaha by contrast has fairly decent resale. I would hang on to the Yammies and look at adding a Saturn when funds allow.

If it was like-for-like kit, I wouldn't even think about it, especially not for an Orion because it's maple too. I don't think I'd do it for the Saturn either, but if I just had to have a walnut kit ... nah, I wouldn't unload the MCA for it.

Now if the MCA sizes were, say, 10/12/14/20 and there was an opportunity to swap for a Saturn with 13/16/18/24, then I might think about it. Maybe. Probably not.

I like tracer and Smatch's idea of just getting the Saturn first, then deciding which to keep - or keep both. MCAs are about as nice as they come for a production kit, so it would take an awful lot to get me to part with one.

Just adding to the consensus - don't do it. That is a step sideways and backwards.

Also considering that Yamaha MCA's were just discontinued and will no longer be made in Japan, you are likely going to see the used values on the Yamahas stay up there for quite a while.
If you feel in need of a change...maybe try new heads - top andbottom, all around.

Neal

Just adding to the consensus - don't do it. That is a step sideways and backwards.

Also considering that Yamaha MCA's were just discontinued and will no longer be made in Japan, you are likely going to see the used values on the Yamahas stay up there for quite a while.
If you feel in need of a change...maybe try new heads - top andbottom, all around.

Neal

I concur. I tried going from top-shelf to mid-shelf and that just didn't work out. You get used to a certain amount of 'professional' feel, and the Yamaha's have that in spades. Either get the Mapex but keep your Yamaha's, or try a couple of different sets of heads. I for one always recommend black dots top and bottom if you've never tried it before. Not a sound for everyone, but if you think about it, you'll be the only one in a radius of 500 miles who will have that sound ;)

Also considering that Yamaha MCA's were just discontinued and will no longer be made in Japan ...
What? Really? I was just on the Yamaha website and didn't see any indication of that. When did that happen, and what are they replacing them with?

Dang, I've been convincing myself to get a new kit and MCAs have been at the top of my list :-(

If you are set for a change, don't take a step backward. Either make a move up, or at least go lateral if you are determined to switch. The Yamaha's you have are a better set.

...Now if the MCA sizes were, say, 10/12/14/20...

If the MCA were those size, they'd have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands.
(Meaning I would keep them till the end, and try to bring them to the grave with me).

LOL

Last edited:
As a Saturn owner and someone who is familiar with the Yamaha Maple Custom series
I see it as a lateral move.
Both drums are the same quality and performance level.
The Saturn series will have a slightly different tone but the difference is not enough to consider it an upgrade from your current kit.

Hi

I know it all comes down to personal preference and all but I think I need some change and want to switch from Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes to Mapex either Orion or Saturn. Is the change worth it cause I don't wanna regret the decision?

Be carefull of that "wanting a change" bug. He is evil and can make you make rash decisions (I know). Make sure you prefer the Mapex before doing this.

If you missed this thread, take a peek - especially about from the middle down:
So it looks like I have until June 28 to decide ... Bummer that I wouldn't be able to add on later. Decisions...

I can tell you from experience that to do something just because you can, is the absolute worst reason to do anything.Sounds to me like you're just bored with your kit.

How about re heading everything and trying different tunings?That alone will breathe new life into what you already have.

Remember.....the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence........till you have to mow the other guys lawn.

Making a lateral move just dosen't make sense from any standpoint.

Steve B

Do what you want . Personally I wouldn't make this change. I like Mapex drums,especially the Saturn and sadly discontinued Orion series but I feel they do not hold a candle to Yamaha's quality control. I have owned 2 Recording Custom kits and recently picked up a Club Custom kit and ll have been absolutely perfect. No issues at all. I cannot say that about some of the other manufacturers I have owned.

Last edited:
I will put this bluntly: No way should you do it.

Mapex make nice drums but they do not hold a candle to Yamaha. If you walk into a recording studio, chances are there will be a Yamaha kit setup, not a Mapex.

Pros uses Yamaha every day to make the music you hear, much more so than Mapex.

Back