Hitting yourself when your playing

metal overlord

Gold Member
I hit myself with my sticks when I'm playing. And I finally realised I should probably try to find out how to stop this.

But, anyway, How can I stop this? I'm quite cramped behind my kit, and my hi hat is very far away. So it seems I hit myself alot when I hit my snare.

Is it bad technique? Or another reason?
And how can I stop this?

Last edited:
I'm no pro (or even an instructor), but I would say that you could probably work on stick control techniques. If you're hitting yourself and loosing the sticks, my guess is your technique is very sloppy.

See, I can't move. My snare is higher up because im tall, but when it's too low its uncomfortable. So I do a really wierd looking crossover because my arms can't move anywhere and neither can I. I loose sticks alot (I think) because I have a loose grip.

But, my hi hat is like 2 1/2 feet away from me, because I have arack there and the second bass drum gets in the way. Should I move it to like...where a crash cymbal is like Chris Slade does? That seems it would work, but it'd be hard because I litterally have no room whatsoever. Plus I'de have to attach it to the rack, and get the cord to have the pedal right by my foot.

Get rid of the second bassdrum, even if that means being less metal.

Or you might consider getting one of those hihat clamps to fasten your stand to the bassdrum, with the legs closed.

Or you might consider getting one of those hihat clamps to fasten your stand to the bassdrum, with the legs closed.

This is only when I'm not gigging though, normally I have no problem during live shows. My practice room is tiny and im on a wall. I've tried the getting rid of the second bass drum, but I can't. I'm fine with double pedals, but its just that I love my double bass.

And, the clamp with the hi hat idea is a good one. It feels more confortable that way.

sounds like you might have to either
a) Lose some gear so you get certain drums closer
b) work on your technique
c) get some more clamps

I have a small 4 piece kit and still manage to hit my face every now and then. It's embarrassing as crap but funny to everyone else. This thread made me laugh.

Thats got to be the funniest thing I have read all day.

ive hit myself square in the thigh before... left a welt for a few weeks.
and i also manage to clip an ear every now and again.

I hit myself in the 'nads once with the butt end. I still hit my ear or hands sometimes.

You're always at risk of hitting yourself and it will never go away completely but it sounds like Metal Overlord needs to adjust his playing a bit. If you're hitting yourself a lot that's a sign you need to re-arrange the set.

I am sure it happens to a lot of people, especially during passionate performance.
This reminds me of a real funny video i have seen. It was on some drum fest with
Dom Famularo (hope i spelled his name correctly), when he got so into playing that he hit himself in the face
and broke his glasses into pieces. He just destroyed them, i couldn't believe it.
He is a crazy dude (in a good way! :)

I hit my ear and eyes more than I would like to admit....I think to hit yourself occasionally is normal. Loosing sticks all the time is not. But I was told one time that loosing sticks is a "good thing" as you are playing loose.
With regards to your gear....get rid of the 2nd bass, get a double pedal and then you can move your high hat closer. I am 6'2 so I know what you are feeling.

I suggest a legless hi hat stand, if the BD is restricting your floorspace.
yeah, i have had a few bad experiences with moeller on my thigh LOL.
THWACK.
ouch.

I've hit myself today on the hand twice, I didn't do that for a long time. I sometimes hit myself on the thigh. Luckily I heal very quickly so brueses disappear within an hour.

I hit myself every time when I make mistake. When stick flies on the floor or something like that happens, I will give instant feedback to my body. Sometimes I have had bruises both hands and legs too. Yea, I'm kind of masochistic.

Now I have stopped hitting myself (or at least I don't have to hit myself so often), and I recommended it to everybody.

Stop hitting yourself!

I've got quite a loose grip, I trade off the fact I'm going to drop sticks for the feel, so I just keep spares. As for hitting yourself, I hit also myself in the balls - twice in a row with a failed stick twirl (I know, serves me right!!). I wear glasses and have been known to knock them off/hit myself in the nose before now. I think you just deal with it.

In your situation I would gig with 2 bass drums and practice with one. I practice with V-Drums so I don't really have such a space issue.

It reminds me of an old joke.
Guy says to the doctor, "Doc, I broke my arm in two places."
The doctor says, "Don't go to those places."
I just don't think it's at all normal to hit yourself while you're playing. That's got to hurt! Anyway, isn't there a little thing called "control?"

I've cracked myself in my nose a few times. Now that hurts. Lol.

Back