Tama Superstar Hyperdrive setup is now complete.

z1lt0id

Well I bought my Tama Superstar Hyperdrive birch kit eight months ago, and it has been a slow process. But the kit is now complete, here are the specs.

Tama Birch Superstar Hyperdrive kit (in Cherry Satin).

1) 22"x20" Bass Drum
2) 8"x6" Tom
3) 10"x6.5" Tom
4) 12"x7" Tom
5) 16"x14" Floor Tom
6) 13"x5.5" Mapex Black Panther Cherry Bomb Snare

Cymbals:

1) 14" Ufip Extatic HiHats
2) 6" Zildjian A Splash
3) 10" Sabian AA MiniHats
4) 18" Sabian AAXplosion Medium Crash
5) 8" Meinl Soundcaster Splash
6) 7" LP Icebell
7) 8" Meinl Classics Medium Bell
8) 20" TRX DRK Ride
9) 18" Sabian XS20 Medium Crash
10) 8" Stagg SH Splash
11) 12" Kahzan Tribal China on top of a 16" Meinl Generation X China (stack)
12) 19" Wuhan China

Hardware:

DW5002 Double Kick Pedal
Pearl Icon Rack
A range of Gibraltar, Dixon, Tama and DW Hardware

Attachments

• drumkit1.jpg
    drumkit1.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 8,300
  • drumkit2.jpg
    drumkit2.jpg
    805.9 KB · Views: 4,567
  • drumkit3.jpg
    drumkit3.jpg
    808.5 KB · Views: 2,023
  • drumkit4.jpg
    drumkit4.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 1,942
The Hyperdrives are amazing, and I've had some amazing comments about them from other drummers. I friend of mine who plays a Sonor kit loves the sound of these drums, also same with a tech friend of mine who plays some Yammies. After playing with different head combinations I found that the Aquarian Response 2's worked best for me. A nice bright controlled tone with a ton of resonance. And thanks everyone for the wonderful comments.

Sweet set up, how does that stack sound? Does it cut through enough?

I've gone through different variations of stacks, the current one is probably a little quieter than my previous ones but the most musical. And I've had no problems with it cutting through the mix :)

Nice :) What about the china? I've noticed that most Wuhans tend to sound slightly different, how do you like yours?

Trashy and loud, great for metal and such. I have an Aquarian spring on order from ebay so I hope not to crack it too soon. I've always found that Wuhan's crack quite easily, but the Aquarian spring helps alleviate the pressure from square bell a bit. I just hope it comes in the mail soon. Haha

Yes, I've read about that recurrent cracking that they tend to suffer. I guess it's a love/hate relationship with the Wuhans, personally I'm not too fond of them, but I've heard one used by a friend of mine that sounds absolutely great, go figure...

Yeah they all sound different, and you really have to go into a drum shop and hand pick one. Once this thing cracks though I am going for 20" TRX DRK China :)

Great setup with a cool finish, congrats!

I have the same kit but with a 14" floortom and I'm not using the 8". I'm not familiar with Aquarian heads: are those Response 2s comparable to Evans G2s? How do you tune them, just above wrinkle or a little tighter? Reso tighter than the batter?

Aquarian Response 2s are very similar to the EC2s. They are two-ply and have a controlled bright tone. I actually found the Response 2s to be a little easier to tune actually, and they are my preferred head now. I tune my 8 and 10 medium tension and my 12 and 16 with low tensions. The reso heads are tuned slightly higher than my batter heads except my 16 which is at the same tension as the batter head. They sound great and still get a ton of resonance from my drums.

OK, thanks for the update. So comparable to EC2s, not G2s.
I'm using Evans EC2s on the toms and an EMAD2 on the kick. I like that combo but I'm having some trouble getting the 14" to sound good, it has a nasty resonance. Could be the room though, the other toms sound fine.

Which head are you using for the kick? I heard some good stories about the Aquarian Superkick.

BTW: if you're interested, here are some pics of my setup: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74724

Last edited:
Very nice kit. Congratulations. I love those Cherry Bomb's. Beautiful sound and look.

Back