Most Under-rated Drummers

In regards to the Gary Novak comment: I think Gary novak is "world-class" as a musician. He plays with, really, some of the most artistic and musically gifted artists in the world. The people he plays with, only people that, really, seek after top-level musicianship are exposed to. Like many of the top-rate musicians whom most people have never heard of, that play on all the major records and in the most renowned auditoriums. I think that, in that scene, these guys (that play at the level of Novak) are hidden treasures that are found only by those that seek after, in a sense, the pinnacle of artistry. ...seek, and you will find... (Mt. 7:7)

I think that, in that scene, these guys (that play at the level of Novak) are hidden treasures that are found only by those that seek after, in a sense, the pinnacle of artistry. ...seek, and you will find... (Mt. 7:7)

Well, I do rather like to think of myself as a seeker of the pinnacle of artistry;)

brooks wackerman from Bad Religion doesnt get the recognition he deserves, that guy is a freakin' genius!

just have a listen to the outro of "Submission Complete" and see how much he rules.

also his stuff with Suicidal Tendencies is insane

he definetly deserves a page on the proper site

Tre Cool plays perfect beats and fills. listen to a green day song and tell me if anything is messy, or played wrong.

Terry Chambers of XTC. I started a thread on him in the Drummers forum a coupla weeks ago and no one has posted a reply yet! In a website by, for, and about drummers, no one knows/cares who Terry Chambers is? I think that definitely classifies him as under-rated.

I've always thought he was very original and had a great, huge ambient sound. I used to be the biggest Police/Stuart Copeland fan, but when I saw both bands share a bill at UC Santa Barbara many years ago, I was more impressed with Chambers than Copeland. (Probably gonna catch a flame or two for saying that!!)

C'mon people, check out some of XTC's tracks on iTunes or elsewhere and see if he deserves a little better.

Wow - seeing XTC in concert, I envy you. Never even knew about them until well after they stopped touring. They are one of my favorite bands of all time - they exemplify what pop music could be when approached with incredible intelligence and musicality.

Gregg Bissonnette , the single most underrated drummer.....ever.period.

Gregg is highy respected player in the drum community.....
He's been featured on DVDs such as Buddy Rich Memorial Concert, Zildjian Days, AUDW, Burning for Buddy and much more....

Don't get me wrong cause think he's an incredible player...I just don't see how he's under-rated....

jonescrusher said:
Gary Novak. How does this guy never get mentioned?

AGREE!

Don't get me wrong cause think he's an incredible player...I just don't see how he's under-rated....

....because he's so much better than incredible ; )..

no seriously, he does'nt get the respect he deserves from the music industry. He is called for a session if Vinnie is not available. He is also not associated with any famous songs ( e.g. Steve Gadd with 50 ways.. ). Being known mainly as a clinican isnt fulfilling his musical potential IMO.

.....AND Neil Peart takes lessons from him occasionally.

Life isnt fair.

....because he's so much better than incredible ; )..

no seriously, he does'nt get the respect he deserves from the music industry. He is called for a session if Vinnie is not available. He is also not associated with any famous songs ( e.g. Steve Gadd with 50 ways.. ). Being known mainly as a clinican isnt fulfilling his musical potential IMO.

.....AND Neil Peart takes lessons from him occasionally.

Life isnt fair.

But he played with David Lee Roth. How could you not garner fame from that? :) I actually recognized him from all the videos I saw of him with Roth in the 80's.

Deen Castronovo-Journey, Myron Grombacher-Pat Benatar, Denny Carmassi-Heart & Montrose, Aynsly Dunbar, Clem Burke-Blondie, Simon Kirke-Bad Co.

Well...

Guy Gelso deserves mentioning. FOR SURE! ;-)

The drummer for Zebra, if you didn't know that...

Play On! :)

Alex Van Halen, doesn't get his props for obvious reasons with all the drama and amazing guitar work, but he's always been there as the real solid foundation of that band always gave the song what it needed, no less and no more.

Justin Foley - Killswitch Engage
I'm not a big fan of black metal drummers, but after hearing some of the technical grooves that he plays, I have changed my mind!

Don't believe me?
-arms of sorrow - killswitch engage

No more said

i'll bet nobody ever mentions Thom Mooney. he played drums with Nazz (Todd Rundgren's first successful band). great stuff, especially his work on "Nazz Nazz".

later on he become musical director for Melissa Manchester, if i'm not mistaken.

Has anyone ever heard of Mike Johnston? He is a beast behind the skins, getting pretty big on youtube... I would definitely take lessons with him if I was out in CA. Check him online www.mikeslessons.com, or on youtube, he's very very talented.

My vote is he should get put up on the watchlist

And...

I saw Scott Phillips of Alter Bridge, formerly of Creed, last week and...

OMG! He's certaintly gotta be considered as "under-rated". What a drummer! WOW! ;-)

Check him out.

Peace...

I'm probably ganna get shot down in my first post but....
Andy Hurley of Fall Out Boy (Hides)
Listen to anything off From Under The Cork Tree...Seriously!

Back