Low Serial # Vintage DW Kit - Pic's Inside

Jeremy6002

Low Serial # Vintage DW Kit - Pic's Inside Drum Workshop (FOR SALE!!!!)

Here is some photo's of my Drum Workshop lacquer Kit..

Now For Sale on Ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260721077435

I am wondering if anyone that is a DW expert could help me with any info about how old this kit is and what it might be worth in today's market; as I am considering putting it up for sale.

Christmas2010087.jpg
Christmas2010088.jpg
Christmas2010091.jpg
Christmas2010083.jpg

Thank so much for all of the info you can share with me..

Peace
Jeremy

Last edited:
While I'm no expert I have followed DW since the early 90s. Your kit should have a date stamped in small print on the interior of the shells. By the looks of the kit and it's hardware/features you have an early 90s DW made with Keller drum shells. The use of those style TB-12 brackets and the 4lug 8" tom tell me that it could be approx 1992-93. Another tip would be to count the number of plies in the shell. Before going to the 5+3 shells DW was using a 6+3 shell for it's toms up to 16" and 8+3 for 18" and larger.
Long story short, it's a lacquer kit in great shape for it's age. I would say you might fetch $2k-2500 for everything pictured. All what the market will bear. Selling points would be the finish condition and color, plus the number of sizes should offer different set-ups for different tastes. Nice kit!

thanks for the great info!!

here is a shoot of the inside.. maybe this will help in estimating the date of them

A guy I know told me he thought they were made in 1989, but I do not know how to verify that

Serial # = 2154

DW1.jpg

Thanks again for your help
-Jeremy

Last edited:
I believe if you email DW with the serial number they can tell you when it was made. I have not done so but I know others who have. It's worth a shot. And yes, very nice kit. You just can't go wrong with black IMHO.

Yeah. If all that's in there is the serial# then your kit pre-dates the "timber-matching" process (or at least the note stamping). I would say your kit was made no earlier than 1990 as I believe DW used T-rods on their kicks prior to that and also used some generic tom brackets, etc.. I would def give the factory a call with your serial#s although, the factory has moved like 3 times since your kit was made, and no offense to DW, but I don't know if their serial numbers really mean anything. Good luck!

Yeah. If all that's in there is the serial# then your kit pre-dates the "timber-matching" process (or at least the note stamping). I would say your kit was made no earlier than 1990 as I believe DW used T-rods on their kicks prior to that and also used some generic tom brackets, etc.. I would def give the factory a call with your serial#s although, the factory has moved like 3 times since your kit was made, and no offense to DW, but I don't know if their serial numbers really mean anything. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I called DW this morning and they said that they started useing
a computer to file information in 2002. This kit pre-dates 02' for sure..... I don't think anyone will be able to definatively tell me for sure, but if any one can, I think it will be
at Drummerworld!!

I figured they wouldn't have that info on file. You have a couple great things going for you. The number of drums offers a bargain and bunch of configurations to suit peoples needs and because you're in TX, the chrome and even the lug screws look MINT! Gotta love the southern no-rust phenomenon! Again, I hope it finds a good home. My Keller shelled DW from 1994 has already aged/mellowed so nice that I'm sure these sound great!

my DW date stamp....

Bernhard

Attachments

• September 11 Bernhard .jpg
    September 11 Bernhard .jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 3,815
Nice kit.
89 is around where I would put it, and if that's what the first owner said, I believe it.
It looks like what was presented in that first catalog.

They did use T-rods, but were one of the first to use key rods on the bass drum.

That's definitely early DW hardware and the Collarlock/DW style mounts. The stands look to be in great shape for their age.

Original memory locks, & the RIMS are original style too.

Are these the Keller 6ply with 6 ply rings? Those were my favorite shells DW has offered (other than the Lake Superior shells haha!). That was the first offering, then DW started to change the ply configs every 6 months it seemed.

I'd count the plies on each shell so you can be sure what to tell people when you go to sell. Might get you more money from someone who is looking for early DW's.

Cool kit, good luck!!

Nice kit.
89 is around where I would put it, and if that's what the first owner said, I believe it.
It looks like what was presented in that first catalog.

They did use T-rods, but were one of the first to use key rods on the bass drum.

That's definitely early DW hardware and the Collarlock/DW style mounts. The stands look to be in great shape for their age.

Original memory locks, & the RIMS are original style too.

Are these the Keller 6ply with 6 ply rings? Those were my favorite shells DW has offered (other than the Lake Superior shells haha!). That was the first offering, then DW started to change the ply configs every 6 months it seemed.

I'd count the plies on each shell so you can be sure what to tell people when you go to sell. Might get you more money from someone who is looking for early DW's.

Cool kit, good luck!!

Thanks for the replay, and the knowlage! I'm pretty positive they are 6ply w/ 6ply rings. Definently 6ply rings and Birch! This kit is in great shape, not perfect, but sweet! Any thoughts on the value? BTW (Lake Superiors are my dream!) Jeremy

Last edited:
I figured they wouldn't have that info on file. You have a couple great things going for you. The number of drums offers a bargain and bunch of configurations to suit peoples needs and because you're in TX, the chrome and even the lug screws look MINT! Gotta love the southern no-rust phenomenon! Again, I hope it finds a good home. My Keller shelled DW from 1994 has already aged/mellowed so nice that I'm sure these sound great!

They definently have a great sound! Thanks, and no rust on any of the drums, or hardware, MINT on that! The toms are in almost new condition, I would rate them as a 9.2 or so, exspecially for the age.... I'm going to list them soon, with all the pics. I hope thy find a great home.

Cool beans on the 6+6 shells. FWIW your kit is DEF maple. DW's first foray into birch were the never released "mini-lug" kits that were available in red, blue, and green laquer. They had straight shells that were rumored to be made in the Yamaha factory. I saw these kits at a store I taught at years ago around 1998ish. They were pretty cool but never made it all the way to retail.

Certainly looks like an early/mid 90's DW to me.

Worth roughly $1700-$2500 depending on local market conditions, and how badly the buyer wants that particular finish, and how quickly you want to sell them.

Cool beans on the 6+6 shells. FWIW your kit is DEF maple. DW's first foray into birch were the never released "mini-lug" kits that were available in red, blue, and green laquer. They had straight shells that were rumored to be made in the Yamaha factory. I saw these kits at a store I taught at years ago around 1998ish. They were pretty cool but never made it all the way to retail.

Well? Here's a pic of one of the badges, the shell had a little dust on them, please excuse. The B 4517 acording to DW stands for Birch. So I don't know what to think? Wish they would have keeped better records from the start! If have some more insight on this please let me know!
Thanks, Jeremy6002

Attachments

• DW Badge.pdf
    371 KB · Views: 436
  • DW Badge#4517#2.pdf
    65.9 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
my DW date stamp....

Bernhard

Wow Bernhard, for real? That alone has to make it somewhat collectable, and the fact that it's YOUR kit....Even more collectable.

Hmmmmmmm. That's interesting Jeremy. Again, no offense to the guys at DW (met them, they're great guys) I find that peculiar as their track record with record keeping as a company has been interesting. I would defer to their expertise but having worked at a VERY high volume dealer during the 90's I'm still skeptical. Best way to be sure would be to look at a piece of maple next to a piece of birch (whether those be drums or just some scrap lumber) and compare to the interior grain of your shells as the grains are def different. Who knows? Maybe you got a hold of a "unicorn". Keep us posted

Three things- one, thanks again.. Two, any one you can send my way with info. please do.... Three, If the badges are all labeled B for birch I would think that they are indeed birch? Don't know, but IF we can find out that would be sweet! I will try to check out some birch next to some maple.... we'll see. I'll keep ya posted.

Last edited:
Back