my wood hoop woes

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator
well now. i ordered a dunnet wood metal hybrid hoop from gibraltar the day after new years. sound attak told me they had to get it from the states and it would only be here in february. i said fine. they didn't have the snare side hoop so i shopped around and found a gibraltar snare saide hoop and ordered it from gak. it was delivered next week - wrong! they had sent me the bevelled gretsch hoop. so i sent i back (the box the hoop came in said gibraltar but the gibraltar hoop is not bevelled). they sent a replacement - and it was yet another bevelled gretsch. so i sent it back and they refunded me saying that they had none of the gibraltar hoops. today the sound attak hoop came and DARN IT! it was a gretsch! i sending it back. i've looked at both shop's websites and the gretsch website and the gibraltar website and there is no confusion. i think someone is swapping the inferior gretsch hoops for the dunnet hybrid.
i'll post pics later and let you know how i get on.
j

Damn that takes the piss a bit. I've sent stuff back when places send the wrong item only to get the exact same one back. My most recent bit of bother was with GAK just before new year. I order a Gibraltar bass drum practice pad from them, 2 days later I got an email saying that they was out of stock and told to ring them, However when I bought it it said that they was in stock, I also checked the site when I got the email, which again said they was in stock.

Anyway, they also said that it was going to be restocked mid-January, and that I could leave the payment and that it would be sent out then. I asked to be refunded for it and they said it would be back in the bank in 2 days, it was 2 weeks later it was refunded (May have possibly been my banks fault though). It probably a good job it was refunded as they have only just come back into stock a few days ago.

Hope your hoops get sorted out.

too bloody right.
here is the hoop that was delivered:

here is the hoop i ordered:
SC-14WTT_1.jpg

clearly different animals - and i think the gibraltar one is superior becaise the metal is nicely flush with the wood so you actually get a wood sound. the gretsch metal hoop sticks out a millimetre.
j

And that’s a big part of the reason I like physical shops: I can examine gear in person before I buy, and I can get things fixed easily.

just been on the phone to the shop and i hear the guy in the background saying that gibraltar makes wood hoops for gretsch. first of all - does anyone know if that is true? second of all - so what? if they make it for gretsch it is a different model. i paid for a dunnet hoop with the model number: Dunnett SC-1410MW and that is what i should get.
j

Gibraltar is Kaman (KMC Musicorp.), which also has a big part of Gretsch.
Here's a link:
http://www.kmcmusicorp.com/

Maybe the pic of the hoop you ordered is actually the bottom of the hoop? It's so light in the pic, that I can't tell if it's all flat, or if there's any "lip" showing. The "notch" looks like it's for the throw off though.....

Are there any pics of the Dunnett hoop on a drum, showing it totally flat, like a Yamaha wood hoop?
Maybe they changed the design of it, because what you got sure does look a lot different than their site pic.

i was one the phone to sound attak twice today since last posting. they have been back and forth to fender europe and kaman fighting my corner. fender was adamant that the hoop is right. they tried to say that dunnet signed off on a new loop design. i refused to accept this and proved to them that not only is the product not the same it is not even fit for purpose. funny how being stubborn and using legal phrases like fit for purpose gets people thinking. they said they would investigate and - ta da - their inventory shows a missing gretsch hybrid hoop and a gibraltar hoop in stock.
this is now being sent out to me.
the moral of the story is do your research from all angles and if you know you are right do not accept rubbish. you paid - you are the customer - they advertised a product - it is their responsibility to deliver exactly what you paid for.

j

I think I see a slightly different moral...

...don't buy online.

This follows my previous experience trying to buy a Axis A LongBoard from Sam Ash...but they incorrectly assembled it with wrong parts in making it into the LongBoard version from a kit(obviously).

Hassling with a return is not how I like to spend my days off.

I will drive several hundred miles before I order drum equipment online again.

Wow, I consider myself lucky. I ordered everything, complete Mapex kit, Supraphonic snare, Paiste Cymbals, Gibraltar hardware, new and online. The only issue I had was a small issue with shipping the cymbals out on time, which got me free overnight shipping. But I agree with Nutha, when a problem comes up do your research and if you right your right and don't accept anything shy of what you ordered.

it all goes down the plughole...

Hahahahahaha!!! I've never heard that before haha!

Wrong bar code explains the issue--I guess they will be opening some boxes from now on...
There are "things going on" in those countries, with large factory workers, and governments, so it wouldn't surprise me if mishaps like this don't possibly become more common.
I'm not into conspiracy theories, or any of that stuff, but I have heard reports about disgruntled employees intentionally goofing things up here and there.
It just may get to the point where things start being made more in the US, UK, etc... instead of having "everything" being done overseas.

.....And it all started with Nutha's snare hoops hahahaha!

hmmmm, this might throw a spanner in the works, but i was told that the old square hoop was discontinued and the Gretsch bevelled hoop is the newer replacement design, i have the gibraltar lists in front of me & there is not 2 different shapes listed just the one & its the bevelled, when i go back to last years catalogues & lists, the square chunky one looks to have been replaced.

Back