Drum kits with a 24" Kick

EarthRocker

I've officially started shopping around for a new set of drums. I'm pretty particular about I'm getting for several reasons, but I won't bore you with such details. I've pretty much given up on a 26" kick without buying a pricey custom kit, so I've come to terms with accepting a 24" which I've never had a problem with anyway. I'd like to spend under 1,000 for this shell pack, because we just wrapped up a tour and plan on going into studio and recording an album. This will mean we have to make merch. as well as pay for the recording, and the CD printing.

So far I've discovered three kits in my price range:
Gretsch Catalina Club Rock - $850
Mapex Meridian Rock - $800
Sonor Arena Maple - $700

I've read great things about the Sonor kit, but it does not include a snare drum, and it only comes in black laquer. The Mapex kit includes a snare and has a few finish choices, so it's the option I'm really leaning toward. The Gretsch kit is pretty much there for comparison, because I don't have any particular reason to purchase it over the other two. If I can't find anything cheaper, or more sensible to purchase, I'll almost certainly go for the Mapex kit.

I was just wondering if there were any other commercial kits that I could purchase with a 24"? I've done a lot of looking, and so far these are the only three I've found in my price rang. I'd just hate to order one the above kits, and then find out a week later there was something more to my liking.

Thanks in advance guys!

Have you looked at the Mapex MyDentity kits. For $99 over your 1000 budget you can get 100% maple or birch kit or a combination of both, a large selection of wraps and the 26 inch kick. I picked up the 4 piece shell pack with large maple shells for $999 (no snare) I'm amazed at the quality of the build as well as the sound of the drums. And although some may find my wrap selection not to taste, I love it. Just a thought, here is the link and good luck with your selection:

http://mydentity.mapexdrums.com/

I think if its the birch Mapex then I'd go for that. Really good tone and feel to te kit. Quite versatile too. Quite good value and comfortable sizes.
I think that building your own is a good idea. On thomann, they sell Gretsch Catilina, Renown Maple and Tama Superstar In sizes like 24x18". I think it works out at like £750 (maybe $900?)

Have you looked at the Mapex MyDentity kits. For $99 over your 1000 budget you can get 100% maple or birch kit or a combination of both, a large selection of wraps and the 26 inch kick. I picked up the 4 piece shell pack with large maple shells for $999 (no snare) I'm amazed at the quality of the build as well as the sound of the drums. And although some may find my wrap selection not to taste, I love it. Just a thought, here is the link and good luck with your selection:

http://mydentity.mapexdrums.com/

Thanks a lot man. I might spend the extra cash and go that route depending on my finances. I'm really digging the stuff Mapex does. I have a friend, he's an older fellow. He's been playing since either the late 60s or early 70s. He recently decided to start using Mapex equipment. He purchased a 7 piece Mapex Saturn kit to use with his band, and then another Mapex kit similar to the saturn in nearly the same configuration. But I really took a liking to his drum sets, even though he uses many more drums than I do.

Back