Led Zep Vs Spirit issue

I heard about the lawsuit yesterday and heard both opening riffs and must say that Led would be a little lighter in cash if I were the judge or jury. It's too close not to be suspicious, and wouldn't be the first time Led had to pay for "borrowing" others music. Spirit recorded the song in 1968 and Led in 1969 after Spirit was their opening band.

I have always though Stairway was one of the best songs ever written. I can definitely see some similarities between the songs, and the fact that Spirit and Zeppelin toured together is definitely damning evidence. I think Jimmy had a habit of taking other peoples ideas and improving on them, the lawsuits they have lost over the years would show that. The inspiration for the fingerpicking may have come from spirit, but if songwriters have to pay the people who inspire them, we may as well all quit writing music right now.

why wasn't something done when Zep 4 came out, why so late to the table on this? I love Zep and if its stolen I don't care. But if it was stolen from ME, I wouldn't have dragged my feet for decades. Back when the song and album were first making millions, that was the time to sue, now...you get your name on a writing credit..big freakin deal!

It's a chord progression. The world would be a sorry place if we started copyrighting those.

Oh, you want to play your snare drum on beats 2 and 4? Well that's a shame because I already did that, you'll need a backbeat license.

No thanks.

Also, yeah, why wait forty years? What's that about?

If my copyright for holding one stick in each hand to play the drums goes through, I could make millions!

It has all been done before, Mozart, Beethoven, etc..

It is all just reworking what has been done before.

Just my .02

Good one friends...all good..:)

hey..i was just posting a link for discussion....I would rather listen it "backwards" and shoot myself ..... so my parents can sue Led Zep. :)

Is there a similarity? Sure.

But overall, it seems like a cash grab by people who weren't even affected by it.

from the provided link:
the lawsuit was filed on behalf of the trust of Spirit guitarist Randy California, who died in 1997.

Randy California didn't often speak about the similarity between the two songs. By many accounts, he was an easygoing sort who didn't let it bother him.

So the estate of a guy who passes away 17 years ago is suing over a song released 43 years ago.

Sounds fishy to me.

Is there a similarity? Sure.

But overall, it seems like a cash grab by people who weren't even affected by it.

from the provided link:

So the estate of a guy who passes away 17 years ago is suing over a song released 43 years ago.

Sounds fishy to me.

lame, if they were offered money or just his name on the credits, I wonder which they would take....the lawyer should be shot, just sayin

Agree, total BS. Take a listen to Journey's "I'm going to leave you." Kansas had been touring with Journey early on and were definitely influenced by them when they composed "Carry On Wayward Son." The guitar riffs are totally the same but did they still the riff? No, two different songs altogether.

Rappers whose "art form" consists of flat out stealing recoded performances are the real thieves.

Back