Lean Green Machine - Yamaha Live Custom

Neal! I missed this thread about your recent acquisition! Beautiful kit and im glad to hear youre digging it!

As you know, I have the 14x22, 9x12, 15x16 setup. I like them so much that I just ordered a matching 10 rack tom and 14 floor tom to give me a bigger setup!!! Im stoked!

That is a lovely kit.....the green is sick in the best possible way! Love a nice green kit and this shade of green is right on.

I too have been surprised at the potent nature of a nice 18.14! I have a few, not sure they would be in the league of this yamaha....but they are very punchy and responsive.

Neal! I missed this thread about your recent acquisition! Beautiful kit and im glad to hear youre digging it!

As you know, I have the 14x22, 9x12, 15x16 setup. I like them so much that I just ordered a matching 10 rack tom and 14 floor tom to give me a bigger setup!!! Im stoked!

You definitely helped sway me in this direction. I can only imagine how good your 14 x 22 sounds - I love that size too. I had an 18 x 22 Maple Custom Absolute cut down to a 14 x 22, it's perfect now.

Adding the toms is a great idea too, I am going to add a 10" to this setup as well!

-----------------

That is a lovely kit.....the green is sick in the best possible way! Love a nice green kit and this shade of green is right on.

I too have been surprised at the potent nature of a nice 18.14! I have a few, not sure they would be in the league of this yamaha....but they are very punchy and responsive.

Thanks shemp -
Yeah the green is just right - like I said, it's brighter than my pics in person, but not crazy....they still look elegant as opposed to flashy.
I think the finish on the inside of the shells coupled with the thicker oak construction really adds up to a unique sound , maybe a little reminiscent of Recording Customs.

Neal

I'm back with fresh new crappy cell phone pics!
Playing a couple Christmas gigs tomorrow - one in the afternoon and another in the evening, bringing the Live Customs and I thought the red sparkle MCAN snare would be a nice touch - Christmas colours big time!

Also am trying out an Evans Onyx reso with a hole. If I lose too much tone though, I'll put a full head back on for tomorrow night.
I got that small metal Yamaha logo on eBay. They are $5 each, got a bunch. I like logos but I like them small. Also used a sharpie on the white Evans logo at the bottom of the reso head.

Will post more gig pictures tomorrow.

Neal

Attachments

• XmasKit.JPG
    XmasKit.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 1,589
Should be fun! Your kit will certainly be in the Christmas spirit. I like it!

Now that kit with those cymbals, is what I would love to wake up next to everyday. Beautiful

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 1,657
I'm back with fresh new crappy cell phone pics!
Playing a couple Christmas gigs tomorrow - one in the afternoon and another in the evening, bringing the Live Customs and I thought the red sparkle MCAN snare would be a nice touch - Christmas colours big time!

Also am trying out an Evans Onyx reso with a hole. If I lose too much tone though, I'll put a full head back on for tomorrow night.
I got that small metal Yamaha logo on eBay. They are $5 each, got a bunch. I like logos but I like them small. Also used a sharpie on the white Evans logo at the bottom of the reso head.

Will post more gig pictures tomorrow.

Neal

I like small logos too and yours looks great. Ive had GREAT luck using "goof off" to remove logos from heads. It takes a tiny bit of effort on coated heads, but they wipe off very easily onsmooth black or white heads. "Goo gone" sucks for this, but "goof off" is crazy! Just an fyi... :)

Thanks guys.
"Goof off"- good to know Chris. I don't think it would work then on an Evans Onyx as it is not smooth black...it's got a coating on it. Kind of like Remo's Black Suede heads.

Neal

Thanks guys.
"Goof off"- good to know Chris. I don't think it would work then on an Evans Onyx as it is not smooth black...it's got a coating on it. Kind of like Remo's Black Suede heads.

Neal

Good point. I didnt think about that. It works well on normal coated remos without hurting the coating, but yeah, not sure about those.

Well, had a crazy day yesterday, I'm exhausted. Setup and played a well attended Christmas gig in the afternooon. Packed that up and drove over to the evening's gig and did it all over again (with a different band). I brought my drum kit and all the PA is mine too. I somehow cram it all into my VW Tiguan. The PA is small but potent, great for smaller venues...QSC K10 tops and a KSub, Presonus 16.0.2 digital board. Here are some more pics! The LED light strip is kind fun, can change colours , comes with a remote control!

Attachments

• TCfrontR.JPG
    TCfrontR.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 4,586
  • TCFRL.JPG
    TCFRL.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 2,503
  • TCBehindKit1.JPG
    TCBehindKit1.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 2,410
  • Freemans widesetup.JPG
    Freemans widesetup.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 1,456
  • Frside lite.JPG
    Frside lite.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 1,402
  • Behind the kit lite.JPG
    Behind the kit lite.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 1,415
I missed this thread. Very nice kit. I'm not usually a fan of green but that is really nice with the black. Great xmas kit too! Nice touch with the lights.

Well, had a crazy day yesterday, I'm exhausted. Setup and played a well attended Christmas gig in the afternooon. Packed that up and drove over to the evening's gig and did it all over again (with a different band). I brought my drum kit and all the PA is mine too. I somehow cram it all into my VW Tiguan. The PA is small but potent, great for smaller venues...QSC K10 tops and a KSub, Presonus 16.0.2 digital board. Here are some more pics! The LED light strip is kind fun, can change colours , comes with a remote control!

The Christmas Kit - great stuff.

What's the electronics under the hi hat in the 5th pic of that post?

The Christmas Kit - great stuff.

What's the electronics under the hi hat in the 5th pic of that post?

Electronics are just a Roland SPD-30 Octapad. Lots of fun. Aux percussion for me mostly...handclaps, big toms, percussion kits, etc. Has 4 trigger inputs as well..can add a bass drum , hihat, snare pad and cymbal to make a little kit. Wouldn't ever consider playing it by itself, but it's great to use with an acoustic kit when the music calls for it.
The gig didn't really call for it last night, but I had it from the earlier gig that day.

Neal

I've got an SPD-30 too. It's fun, but doesn't get as much use as it should.
It's one of those 'seemed like a good idea at the time' things for me.

The angle in the picture makes it look a lot less wide than it actually is.
Must be why I didn't recognize it.

Back