Former Modern Drummer Managing Editor Scott K Fish Says Hello

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Good morning - I started as a freelance writer for Modern Drummer in 1977, was hired as Managing Editor October 1980, and left MD in October 1983. By that time, I had written almost half MD's feature stories.

My love of drumming, my studies, my listening never diminished, but I was away from writing about drums, drumming, drummers for public consumption for many years.

A few months ago I started a blog called "Life Beyond the Cymbals." The name comes from something Bill Bruford said in my interview with him long ago. In brief, my blog is a place where I can, once again, write about drums and music. The longer view of "why" I launched my blog is here: http://bit.ly/1m2fmzC

Drummerworld is a great site. And I thank Bernhard Castiglioni for this forum. I built and ran for 16 years Maine's number one political web forum. I know full well what it takes to keep a site such as this alive and well.

Thank you. I hope to hear from some of you.

Best,
Scott K Fish

Welcome aboard. Glad to have another professional, albeit journalist, aboard.
Bernhard does do a great job in keeping this forum fun and free for all of us. You are joining an elite group and a diversified group.

Hey, Scott, welcome! Thanks for all your great work at MD-- what you all did there was an incredible contribution to the literature of drumming. Can't wait to dive into your blog, and I will be adding it to my own blogroll. Thanks again for everything.

Hi Mr. Fish and welcome! I was a hardcore MD reader during your yeArs and still have that Bill Bruford interview you speak of! I kinda grew away from MD in the late 80s but will glance at an issue from time-to-time. I look forward to your insights.

Hello Mr. Fish. Not surprised at the BB quote. Mr. Bruford seems to be as proficient with a pen as he is with drumsticks. His autobiography is second only to Zappa's IMO.

I wrote a short-lived column for Modern Drummer a couple years after you left. It was about MIDI and electronic drums. I think it ran for about a half year. To be honest, I got much better pay for my work elsewhere (Electronic Musician, et al)!

Welcome.

Welcome Scott. (Can I call you Scott?). In addition to writing about drums and drummers, do you play?

Welcome to the forum Scott!
I have to say your interviews and articles along with Robyn Flans were some of the best that MD ever published. (imho) That level and quality of journalism has been largely been missed from most of the drumming publications (except for Drumhead Magazine) for quite some time.
Hope to hear more from you on Drummerworld!

all the best,
mc

I owe a huge debt to Modern Drummer, especially those early-80s issues. They had a massive influence on how I thought about and approached the drums, and music in general. I didn't read each issue so much as devour it. What I especially appreciate, in hindsight, was the way MD covered so many different styles of music and wrote about drummers who were important but perhaps under-appreciated. Ads for gear are fun, but the interviews were always the thing for me.

Welcome to the forum, Scott.

I'm another drummer influenced by early '80s MD Articles!

Great to have you here!!

Thank you for your greetings and kind words.

Isits: Yes, I play drums. That's the short answer. I made a living playing and teaching in Iowa and New York for about seven years. I fell in love with the instrument age age 6. And even during the years I stopped playing in bands, I always had drumsticks nearby - in the car, next to the toilet, at my work desk - and I was always thinking about drumming.

I write in one of my blog entries about Freddie Gruber explaining to me how to use my left hand naturally. That was a milestone. Many years later I took what Freddie told me and essentially re-learned how to play with my hands. Erasing a lifetime bad habit is not easy. But I'm glad I did it.

Other news: the freelance writing market for drums has changed quite a bit. In sum, it's really non-existent unless someone wants to write for free or for a byline.

I am very much looking forward to new friendships. Thank you again.

skf

Hi Scott.
I had every MD at one time and remember you fondly. Before the internet MD was my wire to the history of drumming. I built my record collection of all the recordings going baack to early jazz based on interviews and articles in MD. I discovered DeJohnette through MD. Thanks for that.

I'll never forget the issue where Aronoff was the up and comer, Bruford was on the cover and Mike Clark had a multi page interview.

Those were the days.

MD today?

Yeah.... ;)

Hello and welcome to the forum Scott :)

I was an addict of Modern Drummer in the 80's... before the internet, I still buy a copy now and then depending who's featured in the magazine.

Thank you for your greetings and kind words.

Isits: Yes, I play drums. That's the short answer. I made a living playing and teaching in Iowa and New York for about seven years. I fell in love with the instrument age age 6. And even during the years I stopped playing in bands, I always had drumsticks nearby - in the car, next to the toilet, at my work desk - and I was always thinking about drumming.

I write in one of my blog entries about Freddie Gruber explaining to me how to use my left hand naturally. That was a milestone. Many years later I took what Freddie told me and essentially re-learned how to play with my hands. Erasing a lifetime bad habit is not easy. But I'm glad I did it.

Other news: the freelance writing market for drums has changed quite a bit. In sum, it's really non-existent unless someone wants to write for free or for a byline.

I am very much looking forward to new friendships. Thank you again.

skf

So whats the secret man? What did he tell you?

I owe a huge debt to Modern Drummer, especially those early-80s issues. They had a massive influence on how I thought about and approached the drums, and music in general. I didn't read each issue so much as devour it. What I especially appreciate, in hindsight, was the way MD covered so many different styles of music and wrote about drummers who were important but perhaps under-appreciated. Ads for gear are fun, but the interviews were always the thing for me.

Welcome to the forum, Scott.

Such true words... Completely reflect my opinion as well.

I'll go one step further and say Modern Drummer was the very first thing I ever picked up that I was genuinely interested in reading. My Dad (also a drummer) purchased my first issue for me while we were on vacation someplace back around 1978.

It was an amazing way for a dumba$$ like me to get familiar with gear, terms, drummers and music on a level that made it fun, interesting and inspiring.

Hello Scott!

I've been an avid reader of Modern Drummer since the 80's, and at one point I had an extensive collection of back issues.

Welcome!

Back