Using a 10'' tom as main rack

Never mind what it looks like. Are you happy with the sound? For the most part I use a four piece kit, 10", 14", 22", 14" snare. The sizes work well together for me. Sometimes I will switch out the 10" tom for a 12" tom and that works well too. I only switch it up to keep it interesting to me. The rest of the band never even notices.

If I put a number to a sound, say the 10" tom is pitch 1, then the 12" tom is pitch 3 etc. I like the combinations of sounds I get from pitch 1&5 or pitch 3&5. Pitch 1&7 to much seperation for me, however pitch 3&7 work well, not too much seperation.

This is just me and what works with how I tune and what like to hear when I strike the two toms at the same time.

Also the 10" tom makes setup a bit easier.

Also you can pretty much tune a 12 up to sound like a 10 and vice versa, so a little pointless getting too anal about it.

Humans have between 24 and 32 teeth. By that logic, we should all have Monster Kits!

I don't usually make an attempt to see everyone of their teeth, but if they are missing a front tooth and the next in line is a molar it's usually obvious, lol.

This whole tooth/drum comparison stems from me cracking a root in one of my front teeth recently. I really dislike going to the dentist :)

Dennis

Since we're taking about small racks:
This kit have the sizes 8x8 rack, 10x9 floor, 22x8 basdrum/woofer and a 12x5 snare.
The drums are DW Collectors from 97.
DWC7.JPG

The owner says that the 10" is tuned so low that he does not miss a ragular floor tom.

I used my ten inch Pearl Export tom today at blues band practice. It sounded great. I may be using it for a while. Peace and goodwill.

I base my kit on a 10-13-16 tom setup, with the 10" as the main rack tom and the 13 and 16 as floor toms. I add the 8" as the second rack tom to round things out a bit (and accommodate our cover of Tom Sawyer), but the
bulk of my tom work is between the 10 and the 13. It's been working fine for me for a few years now.
gpdriver.jpg

I'm 6' 1", by the way, and I'm not worried if I'm dwarfing the little sucker. You should see me trying to play my nephew's violin!

I know this thread is old, but I'm having serious tuning woes lately on both of my kits. I can't get the 12" toms to sing a clear note. Always lots of overtones that you probably won't hear in a band situation, but they bother the crap out of me.

Anyway, I'm switching to a 10" rack tom and 14" floor tom setup. I can get both of those sizes to sing clearly on any kit I've owned, but have always struggled with 12" rack toms and 16" floor toms.

So there, dangit. I'll teach those uncooperative 12"/16" drums who's boss by putting them in the corner.

PS - I actually had a maple Fibes kit with a 10" rack tom and 16" floor tom. Those sang beautifully!

I run 8, 10 racks and 14 + 16 floors but the 10 and 14 are my core drums. My live kits have always had the 10 + 14 setup.

I run 8, 10 racks and 14 + 16 floors but the 10 and 14 are my core drums. My live kits have always had the 10 + 14 setup.

Is it because a 10" rack tom and a 14" floor tom have clearer notes than a 12/16 combo?

I also find positioning easier with those sizes.

The 10" is my main tom on my DW's but I have 8,10,12 up which to me helps. Now, my band practice kit is an old Tama Granstar kit that I have broken down to use as an 11" main tom with a 15" floor. So how about an 11" as your main tom?

on my Tama starclassic bubinga i used a 1 up two down with a 10" up and 12, 16" down because there isn't any way I'm forking out on a matching 14" any time soon.

I wasn't really a big fan, mainly because i prefer meatier toms but i have now managed to get a nice, deep sound out of it but i still would rather play two up two down.

I like to have a lot to play with

I typically use a 12" rack tom but on a lot of jazz gigs I end up taking the Safari kit which has a 10" tom. I usually find myself missing the 12". I just haven't got the 10" tuned to where I like it yet.

Back