Yamaha Drums

Re: THE YAMAHA DRUMS THREAD

I SO would like to get a Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau kit in the midnight sparkle finish.
I base my choice on pics that I have seen though.
Has anyone seen a kit with that finish in person?

Great finish...can't go wrong

Okay, I've just listened to Aydee's youtube footage of his Absolute Maples. Good sound! This prompted me to check out Yamaha birch via youtube, and I compared people's footage of Recording Customs to Absolute Birch (I'm also including the Manu Katche footage on drummerworld.com in this assessment--Manu uses an RC kit in that video).

Is it me, or do the Yamaha Absolute Birch kits sound brighter, cleaner? The RCs sound good, but their tone sounds deeper, almost like a muddier punch, while the Absolute Birches have a cleaner punch.

Of course, this sound comparison is affected by the choice of heads and tuning abilities of those playing them, so that clearly compromises the comparison.

Both kits use the same shell and bearing edges, but it seems the RCs are deeper in tone.

Thoughts?

Hey guys,

I am fairly new to the drummerworld forum and wanted to say hi. I am a yamaha guy to and am excited to see the community of player here.

Here is a link to my myspace page http://www.myspace.com/corypondermusic

I look forward to the conversation

Howdy and WELCOME!

Great playing and a great kit! Always nice to have another Yammie guy on board...

Peace!

Hello All,
I've been a Yamaha player from day one. Started with the YD, then upgraded to the Stage Custom soon after and I just purchased a Beech Absolute yesterday! I know head selection is subjective, but some advice about where to start would be helpful. I am looking for a deep rock sound with good sustain. Any good head combinations you all have experienced on the beech would be greatly appreciated.

Hello All,
I've been a Yamaha player from day one. Started with the YD, then upgraded to the Stage Custom soon after and I just purchased a Beech Absolute yesterday! I know head selection is subjective, but some advice about where to start would be helpful. I am looking for a deep rock sound with good sustain. Any good head combinations you all have experienced on the beech would be greatly appreciated.

My Yamaha kit consists of a Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau 20" kick and 10", 12", 14" and 16" Beech Custom Absolute Nouveau toms. I love these drums. On the beech toms, I use Aquarian Response 2s over Aquarian Classic Clears. This combination may give you the rock sound you're looking for. If you're an Evans-guy, G2s over G1s will create a similar effect. I've tried both and prefer the Aquarian setup. Hope this helps.

Hey guys, if you head over to Yamaha drums website you'll notice an anniversary edition kit with a virgin kick on the main page photo. Does anyone know if this is going to be an option now on the Yahama kits in general or if this will be specific to the anniversary kits?

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed that the pic changes every time the page is loaded. I've just attached a pic so you guys can see.

YWP.jpg

Re: THE YAMAHA DRUMS THREAD

The most wicked and evil state of being known to man- waiting and uncertainty.. Sorry, bud.

Should have known. Yamaha is a bit slow on the availability/delivery front. Though everything else, post - purchase is A1.

I would say make sure you get the exact kit you want, sizes, finish, hardware etc..and THAT is worth waiting for.

Beat the daylights out of a practice pad, while you're waiting, and get rid of that face

Stage Custom Birch has been pushed up, and we should start seeing kits in late April, early May. The Hexrack is looking like about the same time frame.

Hey guys, if you head over to Yamaha drums website you'll notice an anniversary edition kit with a virgin kick on the main page photo. Does anyone know if this is going to be an option now on the Yahama kits in general or if this will be specific to the anniversary kits?

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed that the pic changes every time the page is loaded. I've just attached a pic so you guys can see.

YWP.jpg

We'll be stocking Absolute Nouveau bass drums in Maple and Birch with no mount in 22" and 24", you can order other sizes. There is an "R" in the model number of the virgin drums.

I have been all over the site, but just came to the forums. I think a Yamaha group is a great idea. I have a Yamaha Stage Custom kit with the nouveau lugs. I love the sound and tone for their price range. I am having one issue. When I tune the drums its difficult to get all lugs tightend in the same range because some of the lugs are stiffer/ tighter than the others. I had one break on the snare. I glued it with super glue a day or two ago. I have not had time to get back to the drums to see how its going to work. If anyone has had this problem any suggestions would be helpful. I have tried a little spray lube but it did not help much. I tried attaching a couple of pics. Hope it worked. I'm still getting the hang of this site.

Thanks 3beat

Hey 3beat, I had a couple of nouveau lugs snap on my snare drum. Let Yamaha know about this. In my case they sent me 20 replacement tension rods (shorter) and a handful of replacement lugs. I was told that the rods are too long which is causing you to over tighten the rod and snapping the lug. Good luck

Hi there.

I'm a 22 year old drummer from The Netherlands.

Im playing Yamaha for more then 15 years and endorsing it since last summer.

At the moment im playing an Oak Custom in ROK (Red Oak) with Diecast hoops! (much better tonal expression than with the dyna's) in 20x17, 10x8,12x9, 14x12, 16x14, 10x5 custom snare (stage custom, with maple c. release and but) and within a few weeks the best piccolo (used as a main) ever build, the SD-493. At the moment my main snare is an custom Beni 13x5,5 (with extra thick shell)

I Also use Remo heads, LP percussion and endorsing Amedia Cymbals (really, take a good listning to them at a dealer near you, I ve sold my Zildjians for them, much better price/musical expression vallue) and Balbex Sticks.

On m space: wwww.myspace.com/musiqmanonline there's plenty of inof, music pictures and other funny things.

Hope to share a lot of fun, info etc... with you guys.

Dutch greetings,

Wes.

A true-blue Yammieman! thats hell of a history, even with phone camera pics.

I love all your set ups. How do you compare Beech Customs to the others?

The Beech is more warm, expressional.

The RC is ''standard'' but very usefull for live and recording sessions, the 20'' kick is still blazing though.

And the Oak is full of body, tone and expressive to.

From all the kits, the Oak is the best choice for me. And its jusefull in all styles (depending on the heads and playing style/technique)

Im wanting to get me a 18'' kick for smaller gigs or an Marotta to in the same colour.

video page

With some recordings of the oak custom both live (Uitmarkt 07)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zm8fEnJTRvg&feature=PlayList&p=8928491BCF713091&index=9

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hTjNExoFKtY&feature=PlayList&p=8928491BCF713091&index=8

On these video's, the whole kit with the Beni Snare, the custom snare (at 2:20) and the 80 kick on the end of the verses) really comes out good. The rim click is my LP high pitched JamBlock, really cool thing.

and at home (with The Sub Kick and 2 Naiant mic's)

This was all done with the Dyna hoops exept for ''Way To My Heart''

Yamaha Drums (price and availability update)

Stage Custom Info, for anyone interested.

I went to guitar center yesterday and ordered some things among which was a stage custom set up

10, 12, 14, 20x17 was the package they had and I added an 8 and a 16, bringing the entire order to: (Diameter x Length)
8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x12, 16x16, 20x17 this came out to be 1,557.

The guy at guitar center got it to me at 1,100. So it looks like the "New" stage custom series prices have gone up as we all predicted. I just didn't think they would almost double the price from last summer.

Yamaha said it would be ready some time in mid to late march.

Yes I did try to get a price on a Pheonix but they said they couldn't give me a price on it, which I thought was wierd considering they want it to be ready in March.

Back