London Jazz

aydee

Platinum Member
Hear, hear all ye Londoners!

I'll be in central London a for a couple of days end May.

Any reccos or info for Jazz clubs, pubs, joints, dives, hang outs etc... will be appreciated.

* ( please dont say Ronnie Scotts.. theres got to be other stuff in London besides that )

Last edited:
CHARLIE WRIGHTS!!!
An absolutely FANTASTIC little jazz bar, seriously abe, you gotta check it out.

Absolutely unrelenting in terms of the quality of music they have there. Jojo Mayer played there last week, Chris Dave was in the house just a month ago, and not too long before that, El Negro was there with Matt Garrison.

The 12 Bar Club on Denmark St is always good plus the Aint Nothin' But The Blues bar on Kingly St. Both intimate little venues with mainly acoustic acts. I know you asked about jazz but my knowledge of jazz venues is crap!

CHARLIE WRIGHTS!!!
An absolutely FANTASTIC little jazz bar, seriously abe, you gotta check it out.

Absolutely unrelenting in terms of the quality of music they have there. Jojo Mayer played there last week, Chris Dave was in the house just a month ago, and not too long before that, El Negro was there with Matt Garrison.

Where? Where? Where? I'm excited already...

The 12 Bar Club on Denmark St is always good plus the Aint Nothin' But The Blues bar on Kingly St. Both intimate little venues with mainly acoustic acts. I know you asked about jazz but my knowledge of jazz venues is crap!

Thats cool TS, thanks.. live music within 'my' bandwidth is fine. Add some regular beer to go with it. ( not that dark & dangerous brew that is so freely available..)

CHARLIE WRIGHT'S - 45 Pitfield St. N1 6DA

http://www.myspace.com/charliewrights

Seriouslly, watch the video of Janek Gwizdala with Jojo..... wow!!! That was such an amazing gig, they completely sucked the audience into their world!

Aydee - do yourself a favour (notice the "u" there so I seem "more British" - works in "colour" as well...oh and "theatre")

and check out THE KLINKER. Forget the other places, and get lost in Hugh Metcalfe's world.

Also - The Red Rose - depending on what's going on there. Little dive pub with a great backroom that will have some of London's best musicians performing there.

Thanks Herr Colonel...I would love it if I could get a couple of clear winners to choose from.

I'll have just one night to carouse and do my thing before the real world grabs me, so I want to make it count. Make it "Micheloeb"

Mid May. Probably the 20 or so... not quite nailed yet.

Checked the Website. Hugh Metcalfe with Jim Lebalgue on the drums is this month ( along with the Squeaky Donkeys, Licorice Fish, and One True Dog )..

..dont think they have a gig calender beyond that.. ( looks like a fun joint )

get lost in Hugh Metcalfe's world.

So did you learn about the screaming into your snare strands from Hugh yelling into his guitar pick ups?

Last edited:
Nah, I was already doing that.

I actually started yelling into the snare head as an accident - I was trying to pick up a stick by my feet while my mom was talking to me and to get it I was smushing my face into my head (lazy, didn't want to get up from the stool) and I replied and got that buzz sound and she said "Oh! that sounded kinda cool"

Thanks mom.

Back