Ludwig CM in Black Glass Glitter

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Hey gang!

I now have all the drums back for this kit, and it turned out fan-tastic.
I LOVE this finish. It's really cool. I love that the edges are really glossy Black, but the shine sparkles really well.
AND it's BLACK sparkle, not slightly Blue or Gold tinted. It's BLACK.

I still have a bass drum and a floor tom out, but those get used for a different config/band (and we aren't doing it just now), so no biggie. The Black Glass Glitter was on back order.

This was the kit I did in Silver Sparkle Sparkle Brite material.
Note to all who read--unless you have a kit you just knock around with, or leave at home DO NOT use Sparkle Brite (or especially the stuff on eBay) to re-cover your drums.

Looks great, but even though it was applied correctly, and down solidly, it lifted in any amount of high temps or high humidity in spots.
After a while, it made me sick that my awesome Classic Maple shells were under that stuff.

Anyhow..........The re-wrap was done by my friend Billy Baker, of Baker Drums who is located in TN.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him for anything someone need to be worked on, or fixed on a kit. He does some cool custom wraps, stripes and stuff like that.

Here are the pics.
Ludwig Classic Maple.
20x26, 8x12, 13x15, 14x16, 16x18 6.5x14 Classic Maple snare.
Bass drum shell was done by Precision Drum Co. to Ludwig edge & interior sealing specs.
I also have a CM 10x14 that Billy cut down and re-edged from an 11x14, and it's awesome (but no pic yet).

P1010450.jpg

P1010447.jpg

P1010444.jpg

P1010443.jpg

P1010442.jpg

P1010441.jpg

P1010437.jpg

P1010436.jpg

P1010438.jpg

Enjoy, comment, question, whatever.....

Thanks for lookin' and Cheers!!

Karl, that is really killer !! Those long lugs are so cool. I don't think anybody except Ludwig still has those as an option.

looks great glad youve still got the red sparkles though, my favorites :p

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!

I thought you were mad for getting rid of the silver sparkle (didn't know about the wrap problems though)....now I'm thinking I was mad for doubting you. What's the main gig kit...this or the red sparkle?

Very cool looking kit.....as usual!!

Enjoy 'em mate.

Hotness! I never saw a black sparkle that I liked...until now. How do you get that monstrosity of a kick drum through most doors?

Great looking kit, Karl!

so so nice. I'm going to be getting a LCM soon also, do you think their variety of black glass glitter would be the same colour wise?

Great racing flags. One of the top 5 sparkle/glitter kits I've seen. This is probably number 3 or 4. Number two is my Silver Sparkle :). Number one has got to be a jelly bean kit I saw somewhere, 20" 12" 14". I never expected to like a black sparkle so much! I've been liking long lungs more and more lately as well.

Karl---what is it about 4 or 5 piece Lud's in a 1 up, 2 down setup that looks so menacing? That is a very powerful looking kit. All of the little details, bd hoop inlay, racing flags, long lugs, bd mounted r/cymbal, etc, make that kit what it is. Job well done on a monster kit. Enjoy your time with it.

Pretty finish there. Man that his a gigantic bass drum! Where did you find a bag or case to transport it in?

I bought a Ludwig Legacy Classic in broken glass glitter about a month ago. These pictures have me going crazy here. Kit looks beautiful; I can't wait to get mine!

Thanks guys!

The case for the bass drum is a 18x26 Enduro. It goes through doors fine, just like any other 18" deep case.
I just grab it by the straps and carry it sideways (no scraped knuckles yet!).
I also put a full set of heads in there too (just in case, you never know!).

We don't play many places where I need to carry it any major distance, or up stairs (anymore, did it a couple times and then we vetoed the place), so it's been fine.

Believe it or not, MY bass drum & hardware case weren't the craziest things carried up to that place! Our friends band brought up a Hammond B3!!!! Those guys were insane--they haven't played there again either.
Too bad, because that bar was pretty cool--just a major PITA to get stuff up to the band area.

Yeah, it can get heavy sometimes, and a 22 would be a lot easier, but it wouldn't have the sonic or visual impact (or be as fun!) as this drum is.

I thought about using a 24 again, but I'm not wanting to do that just yet.
This drum (and the other 26's) sounds too good and looks too cool to not play in my foreseeable future.
I have a van, so carting the kit around is no biggie. I can also get it all in my Focus wagon if I have too! Loading and unloading is easy because I (fortunately) have a walk out basement.

This will be the main gig kit, and the Red Sparkle I'll use when I feel like it. I play in a few different bands, so I can mix it up a bit.
I haven't lost my love for the Red Sparkle kit!

This BGG came from Drum Supply House, and I believe it's somewhat new--in the last year maybe.
I might be getting a couple more drums for this kit, and I'll have to know too!
I've got a current sample pack from Precision Drum, and their BGG was the same as this finish, so Ludwig probably has the same stuff (I'm pretty sure it all comes from one place anyway).

The Racing flags....!
That comes from my Dad's side of the family. The 5 brothers were race car divers from the late 50's -to the 80's.
I have cousins that also drove, and one cousin that went on to become Pit Chief and a consultant for some real big name drivers in the 80's til I think 2002 or something.

I always thought it was cool, and loved to go to the track and afterwards the pits, but I wasn't really into cars. Just drums, cymbals, hardware etc... and those were my 'hot-rods' and what I worked on and customized.

I have a few different things I use as "hood ornaments", but this kit called for the flags.

Now if I could just get my hands on a couple of those kick ass hanging, curved cymbal stands that Michael Derosier used back in the Heart/Richard Marx days.....

Back