Better to buy a used fully set up kit or go parts at a time

cantstoplt021

My friends and I have started a band with me playing drums. Ive been drumming for around a year and I mainly use a kit at school to practice on. Since we're going to be practicing and gigging I need something to play on. One of the band members does have a kit, but it's the biggest piece of sh*t I've ever played on. I wish I had pictures. While it's bad some of the things are workable. The bass drum is fine and the floor tom is fine as well. There's two rides that are alright. The hi hat and snare absolutely need to be replaced though. Would it be better to buy a bundle pack with a bunch of things included/buy a used kit or would it be better to get a nice snare and nice hats (could be used too) and then eventually keep adding pieces to the puzzle? I'd like to get stuff that I don't want to get rid of in a year cause it's bad. I'm all for buying things once. I also have a nice kick pedal so I don't need to worry about that.

What's the best way to do this? I'm definitely with drums for the long haul so I'm thinking for the future as well. Which one is more cost effective?

The best thing to do is to buy a decent used kit. Some will include cymbals. Good luck.

Would it be better to buy a bundle pack with a bunch of things included/buy a used kit or would it be better to get a nice snare and nice hats (could be used too) and then eventually keep adding pieces to the puzzle? I'd like to get stuff that I don't want to get rid of in a year cause it's bad. I'm all for buying things once. I also have a nice kick pedal so I don't need to worry about that.

What's the best way to do this? I'm definitely with drums for the long haul so I'm thinking for the future as well. Which one is more cost effective?

It depends on your budget and goals. How much do you have to spend now, and how much do you want to spend in total on your kit?

You can find really cheap used kits with cymbals all over Craigslist, but you won't enjoy playing them and you will probably end up with something about the same as what you have with your friend's kit.

If you want a kit that you can live with for a while (and it sounds like you do!), then get a decent snare and hats and keep using your friend's kit. The snare, hats, and kick are the most important components since you play them 90% of the time anyway. Perhaps you can offer to buy him new heads for his toms in return for letting you use it (this lets you get in there and put decent heads on it and get it tuned up nicely).

With a core of a good snare and hats, you can then save up and buy a nicer kit over time by focusing on finding a good ride, then a crash or two, and then when you have a good snare+cymbal base, you can save up for a cheap new kit or even a nice used mid-range kit.

Unless you have a truckload of money to spend you will be better off working with what you have, and replacing one piece at a time---starting with whatever pisses you off the most---I would start with new heads---and if you do stick with drumming you will buy better/different gear as your skills progress, so "buying once" is never going to happen! My first kit was a $50 beater---after a year the only thing left was the the shell pack, and after 4 years I still play them, and plan to record my first album with them!
1860_zpsriq3wgaw.jpg

Most often what happens is that you find a used kit that is in nice condition. You then slowly season it to your taste as you add and subtract components until you have what you like. This means that it is a combination of buying a complete kit mixed in with individual bits.

@OP:

It all comes down to budget really. If you have a budget of $200, I'd tell you to buy some heads, learn to tune, and replace any of the unworkable broken bits. If your budget is $500, the answer would be different.

Budget first, then act based on that budget.

I would get a good snare first, then some hi hats and a good hh stand. You answered your own question.

If the POS kit really is S, don't spend a cent on it.

Save up for a mid level kit that will stand you in good stead. I'll say Pearl Export because that's what I have, but there are equivalent kits from every manufacturer, and if you don't like Pearl, or don't like Exports that's your call. Putting new heads on a POS kit costs about half of what a used mid level kit would cost, which is why I don't recommend new heads for a truly crappy kit.

Take comfort from this though: when your band is playing, to 99.9% of the audience your drums sound like drums and your cymbals sound like cymbals.

I'm pulling this number out of nowhere as I'm not entirely sure of my budget yet, but let's just say $800. I'm not sure what the kit is that I'm playing on, but it's like a gorilla has been using it for years as its pretty destroyed. Ill attach some pictures of it. I believe the two rides are R8s? Not entirely sure. I know for sure I need a new hi hat and snare. Plus I would also like my own kit to have for the future.

Here's some pictures of the hi hats and floor tom. And yes that is three broken hi hats put together.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/rjveat6ch45m2ih/AADCbr4K0gQoFjThytGCUZeRa

I'm pulling this number out of nowhere as I'm not entirely sure of my budget yet, but let's just say $800.

For ~$800 plus some shopping effort, Best case you would end up with something like:

(Prices from GC's used inventory)
$300 --- Stage Custom / Vision / Meridian / Whatever (Make sure it has a matching snare)
$100 --- AA /New Beats
$100 --- 21" A Sweet Ride
$100 --- 18" A / AA crash
$50 BD Pedal --- IronCobraJr / Yamaha7200
$65 Hat stand --- Yamaha 7400
$50 Throne -- Gibraltar 9600 / PDP 7Series
$60 2xBooms -- PDP 7 series
$25 Snare Stand --- Yamaha 7000

Which is ~850 ish + BS (tax/shipping). You could conceivably save a bit on the kit or cymbals (XS20 versus AA and Export versus Vision), but it's quite a step down for very little return. Craigslist may yield better results if you have wheels and a muscle shirt. What is your craigslist locale?.

Two cents:

- Allocate about half that budget to cymbals
- Get another kit that is yours and that you don't have to piece together
- Get good, fresh heads

You can buy a lot of used drums and gear for $800 (depends where you are located). Here in the northeast USA you probably spend far less on a kit that will serve you well for years to come. CL is a great place to start.

I say buy a kit. If you don't have one already (sounds like you don't) then buy.
You will have something to play on at home, and can bring pieces when you go to jam. And it will be YOUR kit.

Added bonus, if you have a fall out with your friend you don't have to worry about having invested money in his kit, and the arguments that would go with it.

I'm located in Vermont so there might be some good stuff around me. I also have my own kick pedal and snare stand so I don't need to worry about that stuff. I think the essential stuff is a good snare, hi hat and throne at this point. The other stuff is usable for now.

Since you have a kit you can use for the time being I'd say replace the hi hats, snare, and any other stuff that kit needs first then when you go to buy your own kit you'll already have a few pieces.

Excellent strategy!
Along with your own snare and hi hats perhaps your own snare stand, hi hat stand, and bass drum pedal. Go quality on the hardware. I would recommend Pearl (price and quality). DW is great stuff; Expensive too.

I'm located in Vermont so there might be some good stuff around me. I also have my own kick pedal and snare stand so I don't need to worry about that stuff. I think the essential stuff is a good snare, hi hat and throne at this point. The other stuff is usable for now.
I would also check ebay and guitar center's used inventory. I counted about 3 or 4 sets of Sabian As hi hats for $100. Killer deals IMO. And also make sure to get a throne with a spindle base or hydraulic base (more costly). Those thrones that tighten only by wingnut clamps just don't cut it.

Buying a full set is a good idea.

You guys have the best classifieds, but even here in Australia I see people letting go of full kits way too cheap, I think it's a good idea to buy them and if you don't like something, keep the parts you need. If you have an idea of what things are worth you won't get burned, just gotta wait for a buyer.

Example: I got a stage custom with some paiste giant beats the other month for $750... I sold the shells for $500 and the bonus beginner cymbals that came with it for $175, so I only really paid $75 for a full set of quality stands and some hardly used giant beats. It's like a treasure hunt.

Back