Anyone ever have this happen to them? Hope not.

Just watched the longer video of this and a few observations.

Firstly, is it just me, but is this entire band not absolutely A1 awful. The whole thing. The drums, the guitars, THE SINGING.......my god it's one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life. I know it's subjective, and I know that there might well be some who would say exactly the same about our music, I can't think that I've ever heard anything quite so anarchic as that.

Secondly that drummer is the only guy who retains any dignity in that band....professional to the end he carries on playing momentarily after this bellend has thrown his guitar at him...god bless him that's quality...then he walks off. Well played. The rest of the band, well what a bunch of complete shithouses. Someone loses their mind like that those guys should have STOPPED him not just watched and meeked out with a "hey man...calm down". Christ what a bunch of pussies.

Third...the crowd. Not one of them seemed to challenge this behaviour. Some deluded moronic idiot shouts 'rock and roll'....stupid cow...if that's rock and roll then I'd want no part of it.

That lead singer has problems and he needs to go get fixed someplace.

It actually angered me more (as you can probably tell) second time round.

In all fairness, I would never be able to judge how good a band are from such a short music clip. They must have only played 10 seconds there in that video. Can't see how you can judge them there?

The guitarist though, I've never seen an incident that bad, made himself look like a complete twat and disrespectful moron.

There must have been something going on in the background to this or even then maybe not.

He has no defense, that is completely unprofessional.

One of the comments on youtube is from someone who claims to have been at the show and says the drummer was playing poorly all night.

Holy cow!! I hope that never happens to me. My bandmates are soft, so it shouldn't :). Why would someone do that? Not only unprofessional, but hurtful. I'm sure the drummer is embarrased by this. I've had off nights, I just strive to do better. usually when I'm off, it's because I'm tried. I limit drinking to 1 maybe 2 beers. There was a night recently where one of my guitarists was drinking before the show and he made a bunch of mistakes. I took it all in stride becuase we're not doing this for the money or a career. But, it kind of miffed me. But if you're a professional, like this band, you'd need to act that way. Some of the Youtube comments made references to the drummer being off all night. So, I could see this ticking off the singer. Just before he loses it, you can see the other guitarist wailing away and looking back at the drummer. Like " dude, you missed that...".

Still BS, though

Spoilt, cruel, violent, self obsessed - amazing for a supposed adult.

+1 and more words cannot describe. That ugly scene simply evokes feelings that cannot be put into words. But karma's a b*tch and what you reap is what you'll sow.
Never heard of Kris Roe, but hope his band members have the sense to mutiny this guy and he goes down the tubes.

I was there

this was just the other night in Asbury

one of my students records at one of the guys in the Ataris studio and asked me to go with him.

there was a big blowout after the show as well

I still have no idea what the drummer did to deserve that

seems like some deep rooted stuff that has nothing to do with the music

the guy is obviously a complete ass

a possible mistake that noone noticed is more embarrassing than throwing a child like tantrum and throwing equipment at your drummer?

ok pal

heres to growing up one day

How far into the show was it?

How did the audience react?

Jeff

wasn't very far into the set

3 or 4 songs maybe

after the first song he walked back and talked to the drummer for a while ....then they pounded fists and rolled on

some people left but most stayed

I wanted to leave but I felt weird just leaving my student when he asked me to go

I just got a text from my student who got a call from Kris this morning to come in for an audition

I have a lesson with him later today and will probably tell him to stay away .... especially since he is leaving fro Berklee next Sep.

Last edited:
That would probably be the greatest service you could do him. There are a lot more gigs out there, and amazingly, many of them don't involve dealing with a person in the midst of a psychotic break. Life is too short...

What an imbecile.
Man, I'm so pissed right now, I can't understand how the drummer was so cool as to just walk off stage.. Man, I wouldn't have left a single tooth in his mouth.

What a moron. And the rest of the band and the audience are no better.

Ok I know I'm not the most organised, but I am completely OCD about how my set is set up. If its an inch of its original place, I flip out. If somebody did that, I would def be kicked out of the band, after his problem was solved, if you know what I mean;)

What an imbecile.
Man, I'm so pissed right now, I can't understand how the drummer was so cool as to just walk off stage.. Man, I wouldn't have left a single tooth in his mouth.

What a moron. And the rest of the band and the audience are no better.

yeah

that drummer is obviously a better man than you and I because Kris would be in an ambulance and I would be in the back seat of a police cruiser

I just got a text from my student who got a call from Kris this morning to come in for an audition

I have a lesson with him later today and will probably tell him to stay away .... especially since he is leaving fro Berklee next Sep.

That jackass doesn't deserve to play with your student or anybody else until there's a public apology of some type acknowledging that he was being a serious twit.

To me, the most alarming part was when he threw the ride cymbal at the guys head. That's really dangerous stuff right there. Given what's happened to my knuckles just from accidentally glancing a cymbal while playing in the past, I can only imagine the sharp edge hitting someone in the dome from a big heavy ride.

I would have most certainly said something if not tried to intervene had that happened in front of me. I hate physical or personal disrespect, especially if it's un-earned.

I was there
wow!

wasn't very far into the set

3 or 4 songs maybe

Not there is any justification for this, but that makes it even more wrong and bizarre.

If it was nearing the end of the a 2 hour set, and the drummer had been playing poorly all night, one might see how the singer would be in a poor mood. But 3 -4 songs in?

But as noted, that "band" goes through members like water, so I doubt this is the 1st time this singer has gone off on a band member, even if it was the first time he did it on stage.

I tried to tap my foot along on the full version nd that drummer couldn't seem to find the pocket. It's really unnerving to listeners and band members when they can count on the drummer to provide a solid foundation. Most of his fill just didn't end comfortably, so dude def needs to spend some time in the shed with a click to get his consistency under control.

I see why the singer was so upset, but that was def not the way to handle it.

I haven't listened to the Ataris until now and they sound like any another saccharine-sweet hyper-pop pseudo-punk band to my ears. Never liked that stuff myself, but that's hardly the point here.
If it was nearing the end of the a 2 hour set, and the drummer had been playing poorly all night, one might see how the singer would be in a poor mood. But 3 -4 songs in?
I'm guessing he'd been playing uncomfortably like that all tour. You don't want to kick a guy out mid-tour for obvious reasons, but apparently, singer man had enough of it and wasn't altogether in control of his impulses. Bad move, but what the hell, the tour was ruined anyway and may as well go out with a bang (read: lots of youtube hits).

wow!

Not there is any justification for this, but that makes it even more wrong and bizarre.

But as noted, that "band" goes through members like water, so I doubt this is the 1st time this singer has gone off on a band member, even if it was the first time he did it on stage.

what is also strange is the drummer is a guy named Rob from a band called Patent Pending who was personally asked by Kris Roe to do all Ataris tours

I am getting the scoop from my student who knows these guys personally

I have actually never heard an Ataris song in my life

After watching that eposode,a line from the recent"Avengers" movie comes to mind.

"That guys brain is a bag of cats.You can smell crazy on him"

That moron deserved a tune up,but after his set was over.Too many witnesses doing it onstage.

Steve B

I.
I'm guessing he'd been playing uncomfortably like that all tour. You don't want to kick a guy out mid-tour for obvious reasons, but apparently, singer man had enough of it and wasn't altogether in control of his impulses. .

Well, per the bands wikipedia page, this guy only became the drummer this year, after previously being the bands lead guitar player for the prior two years

So if there is a fault, it's to the singer/leader for giving the guy the drummer the job if he wasn't qualified for it. And assuming this had been brewing for a while, it wouldn't be wrong to say "look, maybe you should go back to being our guitar player...."

And given the band is listed as having gone through 5 drummers in 6 years, bringing in another guy mid-tour doesn't sound out of the ordinary for this group. LOL.

I haven't listened to the Ataris until now and they sound like any another saccharine-sweet hyper-pop pseudo-punk band to my ears. Never liked that stuff myself, but that's hardly the point here.
They had a bit ht on the radio a few years ago with a re-make of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer."

But otherwise, I agree. They have always appeared to be a rather generic pop-pseudo-punk band.

I tried to tap my foot along on the full version nd that drummer couldn't seem to find the pocket. It's really unnerving to listeners and band members when they can count on the drummer to provide a solid foundation. Most of his fill just didn't end comfortably, so dude def needs to spend some time in the shed with a click to get his consistency under control.

I see why the singer was so upset, but that was def not the way to handle it.

I'm guessing he'd been playing uncomfortably like that all tour. You don't want to kick a guy out mid-tour for obvious reasons, but apparently, singer man had enough of it and wasn't altogether in control of his impulses. Bad move, but what the hell, the tour was ruined anyway and may as well go out with a bang (read: lots of youtube hits).

Sorry Mike, but I think you're missing the point here. The behaviour of the singer was unacceptable period. There is no excuse for acting like that to another human being, band member or not. Neither is it acceptable to blow off your audience in that way. I take the point that the drummer wasn't crash hot- the one seemed to dishappear for large chunks of the song prior to the meltdown, but the time to deal with that is before the gig in the rehearsal room or after in the dressing room. They're not rock stars, they're wanabees and need to treat the audience with respect at this point of their career. Except that they probably don't have one now. Which is probably a good thing as they sounded like a low rent clone of the Foo's.

That guy needs to grow up.

I'm fine with someone not liking my playing. Hell i can even take a band member saying so. But when someone starts thowing my kit/cymbals around in a 5yr old bitch fit thats where i draw the line. On stage, off stage, dressing room, parking lot, middle of the street...doesn't matter where, i would have done my best to break that guys' neck. Period.

Last edited:
Back