THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Go with the sound you want.. I personnally like The pearl Joey Jordison Model, because i want an almost marching snare sound. Here are some of the drums i think you should look at for different music types;

Rock: Pearl Ian Paice, Pearl Chad Smith, Tama Lars Ulrich, Tama Mike Portnoy
Jazz: Yamaha Steve Gadd, Yamaha Akira Jimbo
Punk: Yamaha Musashyi, Pearl Joey Jordison, Tama David Silveria
Rap/Hip Hop/ R&B/ Pop: Pearl Piccolo (13/3.5), Joey Jordison (if tuned right)
Metal: Pearl Vinnie Paul, Tama John Tempesta, Pearl Joey Jordion (depends on tuning), Tama Lars Ulrich

These are the drums i like for these catagories. ALOT of people might not like my choices, but these are the ones i like...

did you ever hear the sound of the yamaha dave weckl signature snare=? yeah! you'll love it!! i like specially this sound of a snare.

After time testing my 'new' snare and playing it in different locations and musical situations i can honestly say it belongs in this thread :)
This drum is by all means a GOOD SNARE. responsive, sensitive, works at all dynamic levels, nice tuning range, awsome high end woody 'snap', amazing rimshots, and i can go on and on about it... it's just something you gotta hear to apreciate cuz even for me - reading about it just doesn't do the trick.. on top of that, there's the apearance. it looks fantastic and that is something i don't really have to point out. what you can't see in the pic is that the high gloss finish adds so much depth to the wood grain, it almost looks like a hologram (and i'm not kidding.. if you look at it in good light and turn spin it, the light reflects off of it in some way, it almost looks like it's chaning colors... the dark shades in the wood become lighter and the lighter shades become darker... it's by all meanst WIERD but awsome at the same time).
I think i'm in love :p

http://www.mydrumpix.com/showphoto.php?photo=6509

I was listening to some Smashing Pumpkins recently and the snare that jimmy uses, the signature one, is awesome! Great rock snare, but I don't know if it's versatile enough. I heard the supraphonic is very versatile, but some guy at my drum shop said they go for $1000 or more brand new.

You can´t go wrong with the Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14 but I´d strongly recommend the Dunnett Titanium snares. I have one 6.5x13 and they´re outstanding instruments. They do carry a big price tag though, around US$ 1000,- One other is the Beni Black Russian 6.5x14. One beauty of an instrument.

Attachments

• BlackR.jpg
    BlackR.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 3,637
  • Dunnwig 015 small.jpg
    Dunnwig 015 small.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 3,702
I was listening to some Smashing Pumpkins recently and the snare that jimmy uses, the signature one, is awesome! Great rock snare, but I don't know if it's versatile enough. I heard the supraphonic is very versatile, but some guy at my drum shop said they go for $1000 or more brand new.

What did you listen too? His signature snare came out after the breakup (their reformed and in studio now, but thats another story)

He used a TON of different snares on their recordings 92-00 but he has somewhat 50 black beauties so i think he´s favour them.
If you want too here his signature, listen to his live performance with his own band
http://www.jimmychamberlincomplex.com/ .

Or listen to their debut "Life Begins Again", but i don´t know wich song contains the signature snare, he used the akiri jimbo sig. snare a lot too.

He is truly one of my favourite drummers/musicans ever.

Cheers!

Re: SNARE HELP

I just dug this interesting info up about ash:
White Ash is 105% as hard as red oak (AFAIK red oak is what Yamaha uses for the musashi oak) (1320 on the Janka scale vs.1260 for red oak)
Poplar is only 540.
White-Ash.gif

Janka hardness estimates should not be applied to drum shells. The Janka scale rates solid wood, whereas practically all wooden drums today are made of a wood/glue composite (plywood, for lack of a nicer term).

There's a significant amount of glue in the plywood (how much, no one is sure as manufacturers don't like to talk about glue). Glue deadens sound and reduces the hardness and density of the wood.

Just me eyeballing it, I'd reduce the Janka hardness scale by 20 percent, more or less, for a plywood drum shell, owing to the presence of glue.

www.terrasonus.com

After reading all these posts I had to get a new snare, Got it today, Black Beauty. WOW!!
Why didnt I get one sooner?

Thanks Guy's

What did you listen too? His signature snare came out after the breakup (their reformed and in studio now, but thats another story)
Cheers!

I was listening to Cherub Rock...it came out after he breakup eh? Hmm, well, whatever snare it was...it's a great snare.

Anyone tried these? Good price and good features, but no review.

DDrum S4 Maple Snare Drum
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ddrum-S4-Maple-Snare-Drum-?sku=443613
A slamming maple specialty snare.

7" x 13" snare drum with a Canadian maple shell and black chrome die-cast hoops and hardware.

ddrum S4 Maple Snare Drum Features:

* 7" x 13" snare drum
* Canadian maple
* Black chrome die-cast hoops

Pork Pie Big Black Brass Snare Drum with Tube Lugs
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pork-Pie-Big-Black-Steel-Snare-Drum-with-Tube-Lugs?sku=447810

I was listening to Cherub Rock...it came out after he breakup eh? Hmm, well, whatever snare it was...it's a great snare.

ok, cherub rock was recorded in 92/93. He leaved Smashing Pumkins after a incident 96, then he rejoined in 1999. they split 2000. He used a ludwig black beautie on that record I believe. Great indeed!

What recommendations for a batter/reso heads for a steal snare? What I have is an old steal snare, it came with a CB-700 kit back in the 70's. I was thinking about cleaning it up, (steel whool), and putting the right (?) heads on it. I have a Mapex M series snare now. I have the stock heads on it, they're coated. What can you all recommend?

Hey everyone, new to the forum!

Been using a Yamaha custom Anton Fig snare for a few years now, and i love it. Very versatile drum that can sing high but is FAT. Just put a new Evans HD dry batter head on, and it's a bit more crisp than b/4 with the evans genera powerstroke batter. i typically crank the batter up pretty high as well as the resonant side, i love a crisp crack with good snare response. my favorite snare sound is Carter Beauford's, but I don't have the 2 grand that it would take to get that drum. someday i want to get the yamaha recording custom, but the stage has worked well for me.

Any suggestions/comments from more experienced drummers would be appreciated; from people who are into that same type of sound for the snare. Thanks!

I think the best all around snare is the Ludwig LM-400/402 series. If you can't afford those, an Acrolite will usually do.

Other great all-around snares: Yamaha's Maple Custom or DW's USA-made standard maple shell snare (not the Pacific series).

MC2B

I love my 5x14 Tama Kenny Aronoff Signature Trackmaster. It has a 1.5mm engraved brass shell plated with black nickel. It is pleasing to both the ear and the eye.

These are the snares I currently own:

Yamaha 6x14 Anton Fig signature series
Pearl 5x12 Firecracker (wood shell)
Ludwig 6x14 Classic Birch (on a Tama air ride system)
Pearl 6-1/2x14 Session series (I've had this one for over 12 years...it's my "old reliable")
Slingerland 5-1/2x14 Studio King
and of course:
Ludwig 70's 6-1/2x14 Supraphonic

Last edited:
Back