D is for W

Solaris

Silver Member
Well this came as a nice late christmas present...

DSC00185.jpg

I had ordered them in september and didn't expect to be seeing them until well into '09, but turns out they were ready sooner than I expected. I got a call from the manager of Billy Hydes on the 30/12, informing me my DWs had arrived and were ready to be picked up, much to my surprise. So today I went into pick them up. I think some of the salespeople were as excited as I was about picking them up. Anyway, got them home and unpacked them, along the way taking lots of snaps.

Specs:
DW Collectors series in ebony satin oil with gold hardware.
18" x 22"
9" x 10"
10' x 12"
12" x 14"
14" x 16"

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

Hey Solaris, Beautiful Kit .The Satin Oil looks amazing with the gold hardware. I bet it sounds unreal. How much did it set you back? Hopefully you will be able to afford food for the next six months. Congrats and enjoy your new kit.

Thanks for the link risendrummer, forgot about that thread.

Crusto - I'm so happy with the finish, it's a bit hard to tell how the final product is going to turn out only going off example swatches and the kit builder, but the final product is exactly how I envisaged it. Gotta give credit to Baz and Zambizzi for helping me choose the finish. Baz had a black tiger ash kit with gold hardware and Zambizzi has/had (never know how many kits he has) a black satin oil DW which looked stunning.

The kit set me back $8700 AUD, which probably seems a lot to the US users on here, but remember that pretty much all drum gear in Australia is horribly overpriced, so getting this kit for under 10k is pretty damn good. As for paying for it, lets just say last year my concept of a dinner out was McDonalds... Actually I did pretty well, I still have a bit to pay off, but I also bought 3 new cymbals and a new snare last year.

Anyway, I have a couple more pics of the kit setup with the rest of my cymbals:

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

I don't normally like gold hardware but with the satin black this kit is looking good. I dig the paistes in the cymbal setup. Specs on cymbals? The satin black has a really nice contract against the wood color.

From left to right:

10" Sabian Radia Splash
14" Zildjian Avedis New Beat hats
16" Paiste Signature Full Crash
8" A Custom Splash
10" Paiste bell (cut down 16" SF thin crash)
18" Paiste Signature Full Crash
10" A Custom Splash
18" Paiste Twenty Crash
21" Sabian HHX Dry Ride
20" HHX China
19" Paiste New Signature De Crash Mk1.

Btw - the Snares are a Pearl Jimmy DeGrasso signature model - 14" x 5.5" brass with gold hardware and a PDP SX maple 14" x 5.5" with Maple hoops.

Gorgeous drums. They look especially nice with the new badge, congrats.
DW does it right.

...If D is for W then W must be for WoW!!!

Very very nice.

My tiger ash kit originally had chrome hardware, but I swapped it out with brass. I am trying to sell that kit, so I swapped it back to the chrome, as the brass was showing its age. If they don't sell, I will probably swap them back to the brass. All of this hardware swapping has really built up my wrists.

I love the black satin with the gold hardware. Very classy.

Barry

The kit set me back $8700 AUD, which probably seems a lot to the US users on here, but remember that pretty much all drum gear in Australia is horribly overpriced, so getting this kit for under 10k is pretty damn good. As for paying for it, lets just say last year my concept of a dinner out was McDonalds... Actually I did pretty well, I still have a bit to pay off, but I also bought 3 new cymbals and a new snare last year.

Holy crap. I converted it, and that's $6200 American. I can't believe you didn't think that was ridiculous.

Beauty - that gold on black is very sharp. I had some black satin oil DWs and they sounded fantastic. Nice!

I`m impressed, the golden hardware looks so elegant with the dark finish!!! How`s that finish called exactly? Is it solid black? Actually (with flash) it seems to be kind of a dark blue finish.

That`s a niiice late christmas present, have fun!

Karl

beauiful...absoulutely beautiful

That kit has some serious class. The gold hardware is one thing, and then you add that gold snare, and it's just WOW.

Holy smokes man i think that kit is illegal in like 27 states, that gold hardware is intense.
BTW, how do you like that pdp maple snare with the hoops.

Back