5 star drum shops

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
What constitutes a 5 star drum shop? Who determines that? Is GC a 5 star drum shop? I hope not lol. Are there drum shops with a lesser amount of stars? Why would they advertise that they are a B or C grade drum shop? It's got to be an all or nothing type deal. Right?

I'd like that job, rating drum shops. Does anyone know who I could talk to about that?

What constitutes a 5 star drum shop? Who determines that? Is GC a 5 star drum shop? I hope not lol. Are there drum shops with a lesser amount of stars? Why would they advertise that they are a B or C grade drum shop? It's got to be an all or nothing type deal. Right?

I'd like that job, rating drum shops. Does anyone know who I could talk to about that?

No kidding, I was about to post the same question to DW readers. Lol. Like I say, great Larrys think alike :)

Interesting question. I've got my perception of what makes a 5-star drum shop, but my perception is probably different than the definition if there is one. It seems to me a shop which caters to drummers and percussionists primarily or exclusively (no guitars sold here) and deals in a wide variety of the major brands would be 5-star.

I have never understood the star system on anything.... restaurants, hotels etc.

just because someone gives it a certain amount of stars doesn't mean I or anyone else is guaranteed to enjoy anything about it

I know what shops I like ...and there are not many left of them

Steve Maxwells in Manhattan
Pro Drum in LA
Jacks in Boston was great but it's now gone..moved to Hyannis I believe....never been to the new spot.
Dales is nice

I know there are some other nice ones out there that I have not been to

but those are my G-star drum shops

for the record I am hugely anti GC and SA and will never spend a cent in either store

I definitely recommend Dale's Drum Shop. I'm fortunate enough to live in the area, so I stop in there sometimes several times a week or on the way back from classes, and it's where I bought my Sonor Force 3007 shells. They're always helpful and just awesome people in general. They literally do care about their customers, and make sure that everything they sell is top quality. Dale himself used to work with Buddy Rich.

The guys at my local shop were telling me that a few years ago, they were really close to being categorized as a five-star shop but came up a bit short. Apparently, they missed a minimum annual revenue guideline needed to qualify, which led me to believe that there's some sort of criteria that is applied. But after reading that link, I'm not clear what it means anymore, or who certifies a shop, etc.

Will a 5 star drum shop serve a 1 star drummer?

Five-Star shops, like us, pride ourselves on service, knowledge, and many other things besides retail. It's an organization founded long ago and it helps us independents bring credibility to our shops versus the box stores.

One cannot nominate themselves into the five-star group. Nor can you pay a fee and "buy" your way in. The other board members have to nominate you in.

Five Start shops much offer five MAJOR brand names in drums, been in business for five years, do over a million in sales a year, offer service and repairs, lessons, and so on.

We have high standards and we're proud to have been invited into the group.

I'm definitely a 1 star drummer. Maybe half star. And yeah, they'll take your money. I've been to that Just Drums shop in Richmond. I live in "bumfudge" VA, and that guy is the closest ALL drum shop. It's worth it. No guitar players, no amps cranked up to 11, and you can play the drums. Too far to drive for lessons, so I don't know anything about that.

as long as he has 4 star money

Five-Star shops, like us, pride ourselves on service, knowledge, and many other things besides retail. It's an organization founded long ago and it helps us independents bring credibility to our shops versus the box stores.

One cannot nominate themselves into the five-star group. Nor can you pay a fee and "buy" your way in. The other board members have to nominate you in.

Five Start shops much offer five MAJOR brand names in drums, been in business for five years, do over a million in sales a year, offer service and repairs, lessons, and so on.

I'm glad to see you chime in here, Shane. I remember you posting a few years ago - I think 'Just Drums' was a new business venture for you.

I'm happy to hear that business has gone so well for you. It's a difficult market but it's good to hear your success.

This is interesting, thanks for sharing, it certainly adds credibility that there are a number of steps to make the grade to become a 5 star store.

Back