Micing a bass drum with no port hole

Kaiser

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I cant find anything on this topic.
What do you think is the best way to mic an un-ported bass drum for live gigs?

Last edited:
I just put it up next to the head

l_427018a04d8ad8970d281744b1f0cadb.jpg

Thanks LM201, thats a pretty funky kit. What kind of mic is that? Have you ever tried micing the batter side?

I love my Gretsch head and wished to keep it whole, with no hole.

Attachments

• CIMG0332.JPG
    CIMG0332.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 4,740
I love my Gretsch head and wished to keep it whole, with no hole.

GD has a gold record on the wall :-O

That's a nice looking kit/drum corner! My walls are plain, boring off-white drywall. Like like the warmth of wood panelling.

One of the things I like to have, is a nice environment to practice in. When I win the lottery, I want one that looks like Todd Sucharman's (from his DVD).

GD has a gold record on the wall :-O

That's a nice looking kit/drum corner! My walls are plain, boring off-white drywall. Like like the warmth of wood panelling.

One of the things I like to have, is a nice environment to practice in. When I win the lottery, I want one that looks like Todd Sucharman's (from his DVD).

TRk we all know there is nothing better looking than retro wooden paneling.LOL.
The gold record is a knock off of a Beatles gold record.

I found when I was last in the studio I liked the sound out of my bass drumm best when the mike was not in the hole. Rather directly infront of the resonant head. Most drummers put the mike in the hole because you get a mixture between the sound of the beater hitting the head and of the low bass tones coming from the resonant head. This although is not the best way to do it. When i recorded I had one mike in front of the resonant head and one mike (shure SM 57 because of its tight spread) pointed at where the beater met the batter head.

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I cant find anything on this topic.
What do you think is the best way to mic an un-ported bass drum for live gigs?

What everybody said.

Also: play around with where you position the mike. It sounds different dead center and off center.

You can mike the batter head, too, either by itself or mixed with the reso mike. If you use both at the same time, flip the phase of one of them.

I know that while experimenting with recording a non ported bass drum, I preferred the sound that resulted when I put my bass drum mic as close to the outer edge of the head as I could, and about 1 inch away. It seemed more focused with ample thud and attack, where micing it closer to the center increased the the frequencies that I found undesireable. (sort of unfocused boominess). Again it depends on what you like, your drum, the style of music you will use it for, and so on...

you could use a Yamaha SubKick if you have the cash to blow.

but for me, having a hole in the front head just makes things a lot easier. it's easier to take out and put in towels and such for muffling, and it's less hassle for the sound guy when I play gigs, as he can just stick the mic inside. but to each his own.

I know that while experimenting with recording a non ported bass drum, I preferred the sound that resulted when I put my bass drum mic as close to the outer edge of the head.......Again it depends on what you like, your drum, the style of music you will use it for, and so on...

I play 'a bit of everything' so I'll try that, thanks larryace

The yamaha sub kick shouldn't be used by itself. Its not a full range transducer. You need to use the Yamaha Sub Kick with another kick drum mic like a shure beta 52 or akg D112. For live, get the mic as close as possible without it hitting the reso head when the drum is hit.

Thanks stickers, I had thought of buying a sub kick but havent heard one so am a bit hesitant.

you could use a Yamaha SubKick if you have the cash to blow.but for me, having a hole in the front head just makes things a lot easier. it's easier to take out and put in towels and such for muffling, and it's less hassle for the sound guy when I play gigs, as he can just stick the mic inside. but to each his own.

Thanks drumguyfromWI, I have a hole in one of my kits, but not the one I gig with! I dont have to worry about towels etc as I use emads and I like a nice round sound from the bass drum

Kaiser, the best thing to do is to play around with different things. If you ever have a situation where the kit is up and miked and the PA is running and you have a little time--and a helper--you can check out mike positioning on the reso head, or try miking the batter, or both.

Have your helper play the drum as you move mikes around and listen from the audience. Moving the mike on the reso even an inch or two can sometimes make a big difference.

Back