does anyone play a 10" aux snare?

klopee

exactly what the subject says.. does anyone?

i have a lead on a great deal on a 10x5.5 side snare, just wondering if it will be too small to actually be benificial on my kit

my main is a 13x6.5 maple tuned vey tight for a nice crack

I've got a little 10" Sonor 3007 series Maple side snare I use with my kit. I've got it cranked so it's high and ringy. Flam rim shots make nice accents and I use it quite a bit to get a quieter sound. It is however quite far from competeing with my 8x14 bubinga snare. Just depends what it is, and what kind of sound you want. My 2 cents.

I use a 12" x 7" Black Panther Cherrywood as a regular.
Other than using a Supraphonic I think the biggest diameter I'd go would be 13".

I have one I like quite a bit, although as I've stated in other threads, I think a 12 would suit my needs better. Mine's a Mapex Pro Series steel w/mount. It sounds great as a timbale with the snares off and a great lil' firecracker sound with them on. I think I need the 12 for more volume and a lesser pitch difference from my 14" main snare.

I have found a place for one in my kit, but the band isn't really doing anything that calls for it right now. I have a 5x10 that works as a "tom plus extras" when I'm in the mood for it.

I use a 10 x 5.5 hammered phosphor bronze snare as an aux. It's very cool. It has a great crack, great pop, and just the right ring. It even works as a cool timbale sound with the snares off. It's certainly not necessary, but it's a useful accessory. I dig it. Here's a pic of it setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 477
i stuck my 10x4 pearl maple soprano piccolo on the far left side of my monster kit, but truthfully, it's like the only piece on the kit that i didn't regularly play, so i threw off the snare to make it a soprano tom and it works very well

bubinga13.jpg

i have a lead on a great deal on a 10x5.5 side snare, just wondering if it will be too small to actually be benificial on my kit

I use one sometimes. They are cool if you are looking for a different snare sound. However, in your case, it tune your main snare in a way that most people would use the 10" for, so you have to ask yourself if you would really benefit.

I use a 10x6 PDP popcorn. It's fine for the price.

I use it for song intros that are funky or when my cross stick sound is getting swallowed by the room or the noise.

As a main snare sound, it doesn't work for many songs. I use it on a couple Joss Stone songs that we do and with snares off on some Gov't Mule covers to get a passable timbale sound.

I almost always bring this snare with me even when I'm playing a 4 piece with hats, ride and two crashes. I have it in a 10x8 bag with a ball mount and a mounted tambourine and it's no big deal to bring it along.

I also like slamming a big rimshot on it when my bass player wanders in close on my left and it scares the crap out of him.

right now i will pull the reso head off my 10" tom and set it left of the hats, tune it high and the little guy pops and crackles nicely, when i can swing it i would love to get a 10" snare for this purpose, so ya - great idea, adds some color to a kit :)

Back