The Black Panther thread! For all BP snare fans and owners....

Hey there!
I don’t own a panther snare, but I really want to! I’m looking for a loud snare for metal/rock with as less ring as possible and a fat sound. I’ve heard that the panthers are pretty much the best. Could anyone give me some advice? :)
Greetings Breakdown

Metal, rock, and a fat sound you want? Vinnie Paul Signature snare, then. Great snare. But Black Panthers are wonderful, My dad has one.

Hey Breakdown, the black panthers are some real nice snares, i've already posted mine, and i'd say you can't really go wrong with any, but if you want some advice on which one to choose, tell us about the sound you're after, and the styles you play etc, so we can get a better idea of what you want from your snare.

If I had to compare the sound I would say that Daniel Erlandsson's snare (Arch Enemy/ Album: Stigmata) would pretty much be the sound... or Lars Ulrich's sound at Rock Am Ring 2006. Otherwise I'm playing metalcore to Hard Rock, the sound should really cut through and the pitch shouldn't be too high. I want the snare to be sharp, but not choked or "flat" and it shouldn't be too sensitive, it's rather ought to have a heavy attack. If that is a good description to you guys ^^

Well then. I'd say either buy a 14x6.5 steel one, or go with a phosphor bronze one similarly sized. That should help you towards that sort of sound.

my school band has a black panther, it sounds utterly AMAZING.. man, playing in jazz band wouldnt be the same for me without that thing. I love it.

Well I'll add my .02 for Mapex

I own a (discontinued) 5.5 x 13 Mapex Phosphor Bronze snare. One of my 2 favs now, the other being my Pork Pie 5 x 13 maple.

The Mapex PB's get a cool sound that as the ads say, mixes wood warmth with metal cut. I have a few other snares and they are all nice but this was a great purchase. I bought it without hearing it although I had heard the 6.5 x 14 and new the genral timbre. The 13 inch size gives it more focus and control than the bigger drums. That fits in with most of the gigs I do right now.

I'd like to maybe check out some more of the Mapex models evetually. The Walnut looks nice.

Jim

hey guys...I just got new black panther snare...13x6 maple/cherry...it sounds great!

Attachments

• P3180437.jpg
    P3180437.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 5,645
heres mine! black panther hand hammered brass!! its awesome!

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

I've just bought virtually the same one on eBay, it's 14" x 6.5" but with the black finish hardware. Here it is...

31d7_1.JPG

I'm just awaiting delivery. I got it for 185 quid, inc delivery. It's listed as practically new as it had been sent off for review and then returned.

Cheapest I've found it in the shops is 340 pounds.

Can't wait to get it. Should be an improvement on my Pearl 'Chad Smith'.

My first Black Panther: The Thick Flame Maple

Specs:
14 x 6 Maple in Honey Maple Burst finsh
15 Ply (12mm) thick
die cast hoops
adjustable throwoff and butt plate
(but y'all know all this already)

Put on new heads: Aquarian Hi Energy batter and Aquarian Classic Clear Snare Side reso.

Pics:

Attachments

• SnareStand.JPG
    SnareStand.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 3,555
  • SnareLogo.JPG
    SnareLogo.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 3,290
  • SnareFinish.JPG
    SnareFinish.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 3,285
  • SnareBatter.JPG
    SnareBatter.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 3,289
  • SnareReso.JPG
    SnareReso.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 3,236
  • SnareThrowoff.JPG
    SnareThrowoff.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 3,262
Right here are some pics of my BP 14X6.5 Traditional Maple in Black Laquer Finish
Looks and sounds gorgeous
I am looking to experiment with different heads
So anyone who has this snare...could you tell me which heads you have tried and which heads sound good and which sound bad...
I have a Remo Coated Ambassador on the batter at the moment
Tried a Remo Coated Pinstripe and it was horrible...just had a horrible ring to it
Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN1249.JPG
    DSCN1249.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 3,308
  • DSCN1245.JPG
    DSCN1245.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 3,270
  • DSCN1246.JPG
    DSCN1246.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 3,169
  • DSCN1247.JPG
    DSCN1247.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 3,216
  • DSCN1248.JPG
    DSCN1248.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 3,180
Hey guys, i am new to this forum and i just got myselfa new black panther birdseye maple 14x6.5 and im falling in love with it. As you can see, i have already changed the batter head to an Emperor X and the snares to puresound's custom 20 strands. I will soon change the reso head to get the best sound out of the drum. Some people tell me the Emperor X isn't the best head for this snare, but im looking for a punchy sound without many overtones. Any suggestions and comments are welcome!

PIC_0041.jpg

PIC_0039.jpg

PIC_0040.jpg

PIC_0042.jpg

need input on 13x6 maple cherry BP

I'm considering a 13x6 maple cherry black panther. everyone else seems to be posting about 12x6's, so i was wondering if there is anybody who has any experience with the larger size. i haven't heard the drum yet so i'm not sure what to expect. i want a versatile drum with a good tuning range that will maintain warmth and response. i typically don't like piccolos at all and this won't be an auxillary snare, so i'm a bit apprehensive regarding the small diameter. also, is there any difference between these and the "natural maple" of the same size? from what i can tell from mapex's website it sounds like the cherry model just has an outer ply of cherry but there is no mention of the difference in sound quality. sorry for the longish post. any information is appreciated.

thanx for all the pics, but could someone help explain WHY the Black Panthers (specifically the birdseye 5.5x14 or SS ones) are so great? i've heard that they're versatile and record well, but how so and why else compared to other snares that people rave about?

thanx for all the pics, but could someone help explain WHY the Black Panthers (specifically the birdseye 5.5x14 or SS ones) are so great? i've heard that they're versatile and record well, but how so and why else compared to other snares that people rave about?

I think the major part of there popularity is the price and quality. So many people get these for the simple fact its gonna cost you twice as much to get the same out of any other brand (brand new).$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Here are some pics of my Thick Flame Maple setup with all his cousins.

Attachments

• kitsidepaistelow.JPG
    kitsidepaistelow.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 2,941
  • kitpaistetarantino.JPG
    kitpaistetarantino.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 2,992
  • kitfront.JPG
    kitfront.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 2,987
  • kitangle.JPG
    kitangle.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 3,017
  • kit4piecesnare.JPG
    kit4piecesnare.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 3,076
  • kit4piecefront.JPG
    kit4piecefront.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 2,998
I can't believe I'm the first one to post since August!

Anyway, I know this model appears in this thread already, but not mine.

Black Panther Hammered Steel (14 x 5.5)
Aquarian Texture Coated w/ Power Dot batter
Remo Ambassador with BP logo reso
Die Cast hoops
20 lug (split)
20 strand Puresound Blasters snare wires

Attachments

• IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 2,760
  • IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 2,731
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 2,645
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 2,594
  • IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2,596
  • IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 2,586
^^ That is one gorgeous snare you've got there.

I'm really considering going with one of these, but I'm having a really hard time choosing...

Hammered Steel 14x5.5
Hammered Phosphor Bronze 14.5.5
Walnut 14x6.5

^^ That is one gorgeous snare you've got there.

I'm really considering going with one of these, but I'm having a really hard time choosing...

Hammered Steel 14x5.5
Hammered Phosphor Bronze 14.5.5
Walnut 14x6.5

Thanks, my man. I've been using non-stop for about a month now. I love the sound.

As for your choice, what great models from which to choose! I would recommend the Hammered Phosphor Bronze since they are discontinued, However, you just can't make a mistake here.

What BP's can u get in a Piccolo (14 x 4, 14 x 3.5, 13 x 3.5), I looked on te website but i couldnt find any. Im interested in wood, but if there are none metal is fine. And about how much would it cost in Canadian or American dollar.

Back