TAMA 90s Customized 9pc RockStar

Road Dogg

Here is a project kit i am working on (or should I say working for to build)

Its a TAMA 90s RockStar Kit i customized with new StarCast Rims, Mounting Systems, bass Drum Spurs, Claws, New Heads and an LU1465 Diamond Plate Snare

I am still saving up cash becuase I intend to replace all my Boom Stands with the ones with counter weights on em.

Plus the fact that i am also saving up money as well to get cymbals again.

I am still using the 1st Generation Cobras if you will notice.

Tell me what you guys think ok

House026.jpg

House028.jpg

Feb192009003.jpg

Feb192009002.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

and with a little bit of drama...

House032.jpg

TAMA003.jpg

here's a great pic from the web i found

Tama3430.jpg

Last edited:
Do you plan on powder coating the hardware black to match the iconic Lars kit? That could be done for a couple hundred or so.

Looks like you are on the right path... pretty cool!

Thanks for the reply

i have heard suggestions like that just recently, but 1 is I am a bit afraid that it would get scraped of sometime in the future and make it look like a mess ( i have no experience with it really - although it sounds more and more interesting) but then 2nd, my tom configurations are not like what Lars' got. It would just turn out like a half cooked wannabe kit.

I am also thinking on how to make it look a bit different in a way I really am no Mike Portnoy to have alot of cymbals and percussion. i plainly like to play the drums and enough crashes to go with my kit... just straight forward rock to metal groove drumming.

Thanks for the reply

i have heard suggestions like that just recently, but 1 is I am a bit afraid that it would get scraped of sometime in the future and make it look like a mess ( i have no experience with it really - although it sounds more and more interesting) but then 2nd, my tom configurations are not like what Lars' got. It would just turn out like a half cooked wannabe kit.

Well they might not be exactly the same but i'm sure no-one would notice ;) plus i just like the look of black on white. You would be right in the sense that black paint can chip away easily but the difference between paint and powdercoat is that powdercoating is designed for heavy use applications such as drum rims.

I love it the way it is. But a positive thing about the black powdercoating is, it'll match the starcast!

Ahh.. alienware. Just the mouse pad. I sold the alienware a few years back. Now have a cyberpower pc. I dont game as much as i used to.

Ahh.. alienware. Just the mouse pad. I sold the alienware a few years back. Now have a cyberpower pc. I dont game as much as i used to.

fair enough mate. Personally i wouldn't buy an alienware PC, i'm sure they're great but i'd rather spend £2 grand on a computer knowing i'd put it together myself using parts i matched and bought myself. Sorry i know i'm OT here.

looks like a tremendous start! but stay with the chrome, white finishes look so sweet with a bunch of crome, not so the black, curios - what are the specs on the toms and bass drums? and good luck on the project, keep the updates coming!

It would just turn out like a half cooked wannabe kit.
Which is just the unfortunate territory you step into "any time" your equipment looks "remotely" like some "famous drummers kit". Nice thing about white kits. With some creative lighting, you can make 'em look any color you want.

looks like a tremendous start! but stay with the chrome, white finishes look so sweet with a bunch of crome, not so the black, curios - what are the specs on the toms and bass drums? and good luck on the project, keep the updates coming!

Chrome is sweet...

2 16 X 24 Kicks
10, 12, 13, 14 Toms
16, 18 Floor Toms

Which is just the unfortunate territory you step into "any time" your equipment looks "remotely" like some "famous drummers kit". Nice thing about white kits. With some creative lighting, you can make 'em look any color you want.

You're absolutely right, it really just so happens I got a white kit from the 90s...
although i really appreciate everyone's comments

a positive point i also noticed with TAMA was that I was able to replace practically all the hardware (except for the lugs) with new ones, surprisingly the old and new kits are design with the exact same standards as far as drilled holes are concerned. So the new parts fitted right in perfectly

I am trying to save up for those TAMA RoadPro Boom Stands with the counterweights, to really get that "Old School" looking kit

gotta work harder... oh well

Back