A rear line day - mini report.

Andy

Honorary Member
Yesterday, I was booked to play the "Hoggin the Bridge" event at Chepstow racecourse with "Fired Up", but also to provide rear line drums for the event. It's a fairly big rally (3 - 4,000 attendance), 6 bands on the bill.

First challenge = the staging company failed to show so a trailer was hurriedly scrounged. That's fine, but stormy weather was predicted & there's no weather protection. Everyone got on with it. I did have video to put up but silly Andy forgot the wind shield on the zoom & the audio is terrible as a result :(

Anyhow, I took the English ash In-Tense kit mounted on a fairly ugly but very functional Pearl Icon rack. The rack is handy because it quickly facilitates multiple setups. Some drummers used the kit as provided, some stripped it down to a 3 piece shell set then added their own snare, cymbals, pedals, etc. All were respectful with the gear.

A couple of mini stories of note:

Of course, the hired PA sound engineer wasn't happy about the lack of hole in the bass drum reso head. I politely assured him it would be fine & instructed him to run the whole kit flat through the rig. He gave a rye smile. After we sound checked the kit, that smile was replaced by one of great satisfaction.

One drummer was initially protesting because he was told the rear line kit provided would be high quality "like a DW or something - not a small bass drum kit I've never heard of". Stage manager - "just play it!" He did, & after his set was most complimentary on the power of the bass drum & openness of the toms.

For my own part, we had a great gig, & I was very happy with the out front sound. It's the first time I've had the 6 piece through a reasonable rig. I was especially impressed with the little shallow 10" tom, & the 13" x 7" snare. Overall, compared to most rear line kits provided, I think these guys were pretty spoilt!

Here's some pictures. 1st one is the calm before the storm (early morning setup)

Attachments

• hoggin kit calm.jpg
    hoggin kit calm.jpg
    903.6 KB · Views: 618
  • hoggin show.jpg
    hoggin show.jpg
    770.6 KB · Views: 591
  • hoggin kit front.jpg
    hoggin kit front.jpg
    754.2 KB · Views: 576
  • hoggin kit side.jpg
    hoggin kit side.jpg
    932.4 KB · Views: 572
  • hoggin stage.jpg
    hoggin stage.jpg
    814.8 KB · Views: 566
  • hoggin stage2.jpg
    hoggin stage2.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 586
Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of Guru Drums..... and call themselves a drummer?

Just goes to show how clever DW have been with there marketing, the drummer had probably never played one but bought into the hype.

Chepstow: the most beautiful racecourse in Britain <3

Drums look FAB as always, and the wind chimes look soooo pretty! And of course it's always good to win converts in the best possible way.

Don't suppose you'd care to provide the house kit for jam night at the Plough, would you? Nah, I thought not!

Some guys just don't get it... I would be thrilled to play a Guru as a in-house set

Jesus yes. Some people are absolutely clueless.

Anyone with half a brain should only need to take a single look at that kit to see it oozes quality.

I'll buy one, one day when alimony ends, and a life of extraordinarily profligate spending begins :)

Anyone with half a brain should only need to take a single look at that kit to see it oozes quality.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I am sure there are numerous smaller drum companies that I have never heard of. But if I walked up and saw that kit on the stage as a backline I would have been too busy checking it out to bitch about it. It is obviously high quality and it looks beautiful to match. I would have been looking for the guy who brought it to find out more. Some people are just clueless.

What is the "wood block / temple block" thingie mounted on the boom between the 2nd and 3rd toms? I've never seen that before.

What is the "wood block / temple block" thingie mounted on the boom between the 2nd and 3rd toms? I've never seen that before.

Isn't it in fact called a 'wooden block' ??

I could be wrong. I'm sure I recall hitting them things back in school

Are those high end wind chimes? I wouldn't play on cheap wind chimes.

---------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I'd definitely say it's a "wooden block", but it looks like a large flattened cowbell with slits in the sides(?). I've never seen any that large or that shape. The ones I'm familiar with are smaller and rectangular shaped. This one almost looks like a temple block, but again, much larger.

Is that you in the grey button down shirt? I am literally wearing what I believe to be the same garment right now.

I take back all that stuff I said previous about your lack of taste or style.

Some guys just don't get it... I would be thrilled to play a Guru as a in-house set
So would I ;)

Hopefully the heads hadn't gone the way of Premier's at LDS last year by the end of the event ;)
Heads were fine, if not a little scrubbed. They'd already done a fair bit of work though. Those heads on the Premier kits were just unbelievable!

Just goes to show how clever DW have been with there marketing
Thing is, DW's marketing has been so successful, that many players who don't frequent forums or otherwise take an interest in gear, really believe DW are the absolute pinnacle of drum craftsmanship, almost at the exclusion of everything else. Don't get me wrong, DW make good drums, but there are options. I'm not placing their marketing in a negative context either. More admiration at their business acumen than anything else. Good on them! :)

Nah, I thought not!
Correct ;)

Second only to DW, apparently.

You're right on! I don't think there's any fancy name attributed to them. I've always known them as wood blocks. I have three (different sizes). I prefer them to cowbell. The sound is essentially cowbell like but much more woody :)

Are those high end wind chimes? I wouldn't play on cheap wind chimes.
I'm surprised you'd play on wind chimes of any quality.

Is that you in the grey button down shirt? I am literally wearing what I believe to be the same garment right now.

I take back all that stuff I said previous about your lack of taste or style.
No Doc, I'm taking the pictures. Unfortunately, you'll have to revert to your previous opinion of me (surprisingly correct actually ;)

Thing is, DW's marketing has been so successful, that many players who don't frequent forums or otherwise take an interest in gear, really believe DW are the absolute pinnacle of drum craftsmanship, almost at the exclusion of everything else. Don't get me wrong, DW make good drums, but there are options.

Not just marketing but ubiquity. I'm not even a gear-head but I consistently see those telltale Camco round doodads on numerous name drummer kits. Many players that others look up to use DWs.

Not just marketing but ubiquity. I'm not even a gear-head but I consistently see those telltale Camco round doodads on numerous name drummer kits. Many players that others look up to use DWs.
So true Grea, but all part of the marketing approach. Mass Artist sponsorship & back line industry saturation has proven to be very successful. A very good move :)

...I've always known them as wood blocks. I have three (different sizes). I prefer them to cowbell...

Holey moley, the crazy heresy that people think that they can get away with by hiding it in a long post.

As if this stuff about chimes wasn't bad enough!

Andy am guessing you're in a cover band... right? What tune(s) would call for wind chimes?
Do you not ever think..."ahh sod it, maybe I can leave those home today"?

Everything looks beautiful to me...the drums, the setting...Just beautiful!
Yes, it's a great gig, & a nice size crowd to play to too. Most are more consumed with the bikes than watching the bands though. We had a good slot, & held a good audience though :)

Holey moley, the crazy heresy that people think that they can get away with by hiding it in a long post.

As if this stuff about chimes wasn't bad enough!
I know, I know ;) BTW, the tambourine on the HH stand wasn't for my set, JIK you were thinking of calling me on that too ;)

Andy am guessing you're in a cover band... right? What tune(s) would call for wind chimes?
Do you not ever think..."ahh sod it, maybe I can leave those home today"?
I leave the wind chimes out in about half the gigs I do with that band, & the new band (originals) doesn't call for them at all. It all depends on what songs are in the set for the gig.

At this gig, I use them in our arrangements of "Purple Rain", an orchestrated into to "Here I go Again", & a piano refrain in a heavily reworked version of Mott the Hoople's "Dudes". This coming Sunday, we're playing a very cozy town centre bar. Billed as an "up close & personal" gig, I'll be playing a 3 piece kit with just a crash/ride & hats :) I threatened the band with using cajon only, but they weren't having that!

I reckon it's a Kenny G tribute band.
I'd take that gig - I bet the pay would be good, & an audience full of "appreciative" ladies of a certain age. What's not to like ;) ;) ;)

Back