Cowbell placement

swstarks

So, I've wanting to do more with cowbell lately but I don't know how players like Steve Gadd, Benny Greb, etc. place it in between their snare and floor tom.

Is there some kind of attachment they use or something? Or is it just a really small stand?

Thanks for the help,

Steven

If I have room, I use a boom arm. There are also clamps that attach to the bass drum hoop. DW might have some funkier bass drum clamps for the shell as well.

usually a special clamp that attaches to the bass drum hoop. search on any major music store site, they're everywhere.

I've had different ones over the years, but the two that have worked the best for me are the DW cowbell mount (a bass drum claw, with bracket & L-rod), and the Ludwig ATLAS mount.
They are about the same price, but the ATLAS if it works for your tom placement is the more convenient of the two (for cowbell removal for pack up, if gigging).

I've got my cowbell mounted on the hi hat rod.

Yeah, I know...mounted a piece of kit without acquiring any additional hardware. I'm so ashamed.

Still...gotta have more cowbell!

I used to have a cowbell many moons ago, my toms were bass drum mounted, so I raised the two toms by a couple inches and adjusted the angle to compensate and the cowbell clamp fixed straight onto the Tom bar going into bass drum. Little fiddling but hell did it look snug as a bug. Don't know if this made any difference to the Tom/bass drum sounds as I never recorded and I was in a barn with corregated iron roof. So yes I'm deaf but I'd have that set up again tomorrow if I had acoustic kit :)

Like most said , I also have mine (2) on the bd hoop. I looked what tommy igoe listed on his website and bought thst (made by lp I believe). On the bd hoop allows me to play with my right hand or my left (right Hand on the ride) and also as a snare/cowbell cross stick (gotta have the height just right ).

I use the Gibraltar Deluxe mount. Works great and is pretty cheap. This one has rubber where it grips to the hoop.

gibraltar-deluxe-bass-drum-hoop-cowbell-mount.jpg

I'm not sure where it goes but I know where it should never go. Never let the chick singer
bang away on it and never give it to an audience member to hit. (my experience anyway..yours may be different).

i am using the Pearl PPS37 https://www.google.com/#q=pearl+pps37+cowbell+holder . it mounts on my tom post & gets the cowbell right between my snare / floortom. i tried a hoop mounted type for like 5 minutes but it had already started marring the (nice) hoop, so i took it off.

shots as a 4-piece config.i put the cowbell above my hi-hats for 5-piece config.

+ https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...-no/998311_10151694079291759_2078349651_n.jpg

+ https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...-no/1426396_10151694079036759_888087219_n.jpg

I use a lightweight stand to the left of my hats that doubles as a percussion tree (with mounted tambourine and LP woodblocks (plastic of course!)). I find it's great for multitasking - playing HH/snare patterns with right hand and cowbell patterns with left etc. I used to mount it on the kick, but got tired of smacking my knee into it.

That lp is the one I got. Love the 2 wings on it. Cowbells take lots of hits when doing a lot of salsa and other mounts have a tendency to losen up. Not thst one :)

I like the LP also, because the wing nuts are out of the way. I forgot I have one of those.
I mainly use the DW (have 2), because I like the small footprint, and, I can leave the claw in place and just move the L-rod and the cowbell to whatever kit I am gigging with. It's easy to deal with, and it's in the same spot.
I've had a couple since they came out a few (3-4?) years ago, and haven't had any hint of trouble with either of them (or the LP when it was on my rehearsal kit outside of my home for about 4 years either).

Somewhere along the line, I acquired this Tama clamp. It has a pivot clamp bit underneath that can crush the hoop if you get carried away. But it holds securely and most of all gives you some flexibility as to how you position the bar in it. I have the basic LP thing but it's too low on my 20" kick. This lets me put things up where I want them.

I used to put bells over between the hat and rack tom. A great latin drummer I knew did this, but he had much more facility and independence. There are some cool patterns you can do with it over there, but mostly I just use if for 2nd line and a few songs with basic cowbell patterns.

IMG_1079.JPG

Recently moved mine so its between snare and rack and its nice because you can easily play it with either hand. Its almost over the snare by an inch or so but tucks in there nicely.

On a long crappy looking arm off HH stand.

Back