new floating snare project

I think the close mics were a bit too close to the rims. That will tend to pick up more ring and can also overload the mic. More distant mics pic up the full body of the drums but too much room ambience. I need just the perfect mix. It also makes a difference if you are listening through a stereo, laptop speakers or headphones.

Dan
I'm listening through reference headphones Dan, & they're about as neutral as you can get. If you want a good honest impression without fear of near field anomalies, just a pair of overheads will give you a good overall impression.

I'm not sure the tom tuning brought out the best in your drums.

I'm sure I will experiment with more tunings. I tried to get the lowest resonating pitch possible, which is what I like best. To do that , I have to begin to bring up the pitch up until the drum begins to resonate, and then continue to tighten, until the BEAT FREQUENCY between the upper, lower skins and shell disappear. Then do the same with the lower tenor tom and hopefully it will be tuned properly, relative to the other tenor tom. Last of all,the floor tom which is easy to tune.

I'm sure if I tune these up to the next fundamental I will begin to get the drum sounds from the "Miami Vice" soundtrack. (toms sound somewhere between a timbale and a tom tom)

Dan

Back