What does your kit say about you?

Andy

Honorary Member
Inspired by Aydee when I posted my kit on DW. What does your kit say about you? Is your setup more than just suitable for the genre? Do the drums, finishes, sounds, cymbal choices reflect your character. Usually, the kit we play isn't our ideal ideal setup due to financial constraints, yet still I believe our choices say a lot about us, or at least, how we'd like to be perceived.

Inspired by Aydee when I posted my kit on DW. What does your kit say about you? Is your setup more than just suitable for the genre? Do the drums, finishes, sounds, cymbal choices reflect your character. Usually, the kit we play isn't our ideal ideal setup due to financial constraints, yet still I believe our choices say a lot about us, or at least, how we'd like to be perceived.

Well, my setup is clean and efficient, while my playing not always is. My drums look pretty plain, but they sound awesome. Maybe I look pretty plain but sound awesome too, I don't know. Thats what I get out of it.. Oh, and I'm a cymbal and hardware mixer.

Well, my setup is clean and efficient, while my playing not always is. My drums look pretty plain, but they sound awesome. Maybe I look pretty plain but sound awesome too, I don't know. Thats what I get out of it.. Oh, and I'm a cymbal and hardware mixer.
There you go, now you're thinking laterally. The more I think about it, the more relevant the subject is.

What does your kit say about you?

Interesting topic KIS, my band mates used to discuss what our instruments said about us......the general concenus was that as my kit seemed to get smaller and smaller over the years, it must be a reflection that I am a lazy bugger at heart!!

Any guesses as to the Freudian comments passed when one of the guitarists went from a Fender amp to a 2 box Marshall stack???

I do not have a specific set up. It depends on the music and parts I have to play. I have a large collection of drums and cymbals as well as sound effects. If I need a magpie call, I have the device. :)

I tend to hang out in kitchenware, guns and hardware stores looking for new and interesting sounds. I got some funny comments the day I went through all the metal buckets in a hardware store looking for the one. Happily I found it. I also have a great metal ashtray!

My kit, quite frankly, every piece of it, hand selected. It is what I want. I've always liked the "natural" wood look. Charlie Watts 57 Gretsch/John Bonhams Thermogloss Luddy's. And I love the patina that age can give, to a clear maple finish. So my Rogers XP8 kit, perfect. Add to a basic 5 piece a 26x14 kick, and an 18x16 floor. All the drums I need.​
Then there's the "dark side". The e-lectronic side of me. My SPD-S and Electro-Harmonix loop station. And my "vintage" Tama Techstar 305. Again, every piece I choose, with a definite function/purpose.​
Add to this mix, 2 sets of cymbals. One set....all Paiste Red ColorSound 5's. The other set...all handmade Turkish cymbals (meaning no Zildjian/Sabians).​
I look at the drum kit as 4 basic voices. Kick, snare, ride, and hats. Change 1, or 2 of those voices, and you basically have a whole new kit. That's why I have 2 kicks, the 22x14, and the 26x14. And 4 snares. And why I have 2 complete sets of cymbals. It's a minimum number of pieces owned, for maximum sound potential.​
As far as what this all "says about me".......is I'm taking a path less travelled.​

Validates what I already know....both my kits and most of my cymbals are old and so am I!!

If I were a car, I'd be a ragged out Model T. Ok, just kidding. My drums, Yikes! Ok, an old, old, Vintage, Pearl kit. I've had the thing since 1972 but bought all new hardware and cymbals. Paiste PST 5s. Mid range. And new heads. I really, really want a brand new kit, maybe Gretsch, or Tama, or even...Ludwig. But I also like to eat, so maybe someday....

I like this exercise! Let's see...

My vintage Ludwig kit is like me in that it's being used to play music nowadays, but with a strong influence from the sound of the past.

I guess my DW kit says that when I know exactly what I'm looking for, I'll go all in to chase after it...

well it says i have big unmentionables because the hats are in the middle and I play open handed(thing about it guys, strap a pair of ballons to your front and try to cross your arms)

it says that I am totally wierd because although it has normal right hand lead toms, i have recently found out that i am left footed so the bass is on the left(thank the lord for remote high hats)

and to me it says that I love playing, because when I sit down i always say 'hello my beauties" and get a big rush out of having this great kit to hit.

My kit says," You look like you are having fun, but man you need practice with those singles." So I just give it a harder kick. I waited 30 plus years to play again and I do have fun.

My kit is very small - 16" kick (RT), snare (Premier), 12" shallow single-headed tom (RT) and a djembe. Cymbals are hats, crash/ride and splash.

It's been put together specifically for my current band.

Like Pocket, my kit says I'm lazy. It also says that while I'm not a star drummer, I have a quirky approach.

The sounds of my drums definatley suggest Rock and the setup would confirm this. I've got 4 toms 2 snares three crashes and a china. The apperance of my drum set probibly would make me seem like an emo kid. On the shells of my kit I put painters tape with different parts from songs I like. Some them are "It's hard to pick which ones to hate the most" from The Beautiful People, "Drifting bodies, it's soul exertion" from Would?, and "I speak in verses, prophecies and curses" from Buried Alive by Otep.

My kits say I that I have a fondness for old school styles. Which is true beyond drumming as well. In addition to white marine pearl or vintage sky blue pearl, I like my '68 Firebird and the look and feel of an old Gibson hollow body guitar.

I like simple aesthetics so it's one of the reasons I scrubbed the logos off the top of my cymbals. I used my old manual Nikons many years after my other photo colleagues bought electronic cameras.

My setups also show that I am very deliberate by nature.

My cymbal choices reflect this the most. I never rushed out and bought a bunch of cymbals. I've gone back to listen to over and over again. My selection of As and Ks shows that I make specific choices.

Lastly that I'm not overly indulgent. Money wise, I could have chosen almost any kit I want and I am satisfied with my inexpensive intermediate level drums. I haven't found cause to justify a full set of Craviottos yet. I have a small collection of snares compared to some of you guys here. A brass 14x6½, a bronze 14x5½, a maple 14x5, a maple 13x7, a maple 10x6 and a mahogany 14x5. I can get it all done with those.

Gretsch_Cat_Jazz_1.jpg

Gretsch_Cat_Jazz_2.jpg

pdp_4piece_1.jpg

pdp_4piece_2.jpg

I receive compliments on my kits from the musicians that I play with frequently.
They say that my kits are always clean. I get comments on how organized I am. I get comments about how fast I set up and am ready to play. They say that they like both the look and sound of my drums.
Fellow drummers that play my kits at shared gigs comment on how well that my drums are tuned. They like my quality cymbals.
One drummer said to me once, "Were you in the military?" I answered "How did you know!"
He said that you're drums are kept so perfect! I could tell that you are from a military background.
I told him that I keep my kits "War Ready" at all times. Just like my rifle!

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 684
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
Well the finish doesn't say much more about me than "This was the nicest finish among the 3 that left". For the style I play which is sort of Funk/Rock I have to admit I might have a couple of extra things, but when it comes to play some other stuff those extra things become very important so I'm happy with myself knowing that eventually I make a proper use of everything!

I guess it says that I am spoilt. Even though my kit is a very popular finish on this forum, I dont like it. I prefer the ( ..ahem.. ) natural blondes.

However, being the deep & sensitive person that I am, I look for substance over surface beauty. I was so keen to buy a beautiful sounding Gretsch Renown I'd played, but then I said the heck with rationality, I'll reach for the stars and get a Yamaha MCAN. Havent regretted it at all. Its the most beautiful sounded kit I've heard. Anywhere. Maybe Carlok's Oakies sounded better, but thats ok..

So, I guess it says I'm happy.. I hate my rack and cymbal hardware which also says that I always look for something to be unhappy about.

aydee kit.jpg

Last edited:
Depends,

The set I have in my garage is a 9-10 piece dual bass drum with double AND single bass pedals, all of my kit is used, I've jumped up to 7 cymbals, have custom fabricated/welded/finished mounts and hardware, my cymbals range from late 1920's-30 Zildjians to newer Sabians, to a cheap CB cymbal re-fabricated into a pretty good sounding sizzle, to what might just be the biggest and most frankenstein'ed kit in Butte County.

However, I do cut the size of the kit down (to 6 pieces) for gigs, (my truck is small!) and rotate different cymbals and stuff for each gig.

What it all says about me? (judging between the two)
Seasoned drummer,
Cheapskate,
Experimenter,
Looney tunes,
Innovator,
Open-minded,
A guy who likes his drumset to match both his Harleys, (literally--black and chrome)
Sense of timing and finesse, (sound- NOT looks!)
Semi-Professional musician-- BUT keeps to his roots,
An OBVIOUS Music Addict,
The one your mother warned you about!
Yep, the shells may be a bit dusty, but the heads and cymbals aren't! AND:
If you don't like my drumming, that's OK- I wail on harmonica Like Eddie Van Halen does on guitar!

Hope that sums it up,
C. P.

3822703415_4cc9a5339c_b.jpg

70's gretsch
says i have a simple appreciation for the classics. It also shows my heart that wants to take an old things and fix everything and make it better. I think it also shows my perfectionist side. I always say i'm a perfectionist in my own mind.

3398403541_9c5f49f1dc_b.jpg

73' ludwig
my other kit being green sparkle ludwig says i love bonham.

Back