Ringo tries to teach Matt Lauer a simple rock beat...

One and TWO! and three and FOUR! and ONE and Two AND THREE AND FOUR!!! and one..... and two.. no two's on the snare! lol.. Ringo had his work cut out for him..

And enough with the Ringo bashing already! Jeez! I know he's the polar opposite of Mike Portnoy and Neil Peart. But doesn't Mike have his own Beatles tribute band, Yellow Matter Custard? Plus he's recorded numerous Dream Theater tracks on a four piece just as a challenge. He gets the "less is more" idea. Why can't you guys? Some music calls for busy technical drums and some is more simple and catchy and timeless. I hate "more is more" snobbishness. Can you dance to a 16/11 beat? You sure can groove to Ringo's 4/4 and he gets a whole crowd moving!

thanks for that awesome video and how can you not love Ringo?

It just baffles me that people bash Ringo so vehemently. Even if you don't like his style of playing, I can't imagine not at least respecting his accomplishments and fortitude, not to mention his genuine love of music. You know, I'm not personally a Jimi Hendrix fan but I also realize the unmatchable contributions he made and the unbelievable talent he possesed. I would never "dis" him or his music just because it's not my thing. If there's a thread about someone I don't like...I just don't comment on it. It's that simple.

I for one find much joy in watching Ringo, in so many ways. Less than 2 weeks until I see him again in Nashville on the All-Starr tour! Wonder if I could convince him that I need a money beat lesson? :)

It just baffles me that people bash Ringo so vehemently. Even if you don't like his style of playing, I can't imagine not at least respecting his accomplishments and fortitude, not to mention his genuine love of music. You know, I'm not personally a Jimi Hendrix fan but I also realize the unmatchable contributions he made and the unbelievable talent he possesed. I would never "dis" him or his music just because it's not my thing. If there's a thread about someone I don't like...I just don't comment on it. It's that simple.

I for one find much joy in watching Ringo, in so many ways. Less than 2 weeks until I see him again in Nashville on the All-Starr tour! Wonder if I could convince him that I need a money beat lesson? :)

Ringo gets some incredible talent to tour with him.

Shouldn't he learn to play a basic rock beat himself before he teaches others?

yeah....those drum parts on "Rain" and "She Said She Said" really suck, don't they???

(idiot)

I remember people bashing Charlie Watts as well. He also plays in a very simple style. If he hadn't the Rolling Stones probably would have come off of the tracks. He and Bill Wyman kept the whole thing together. I'm not a huge fan of Ringo's playing but he gets the job done in a tasteful, competent fashion. He's a musician who plays drums not a drummer who plays music.

Guitar is for people who can't play drums?

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm STILL mystified by the number of "guitar players" who will never be "rhythm guitar players".

He should do us all a favor and suggest to these to kids take up snowmobiling or stamp collecting.

Other than this, Ringo will always be Fab!

Ringo is one of the greatest rock drummers I've ever heard and seen play. He has style and nerves of steel. Ringo can do what he wants especially teach rock beats. After all he is one if the masters of solid back beats that many young drummers today would fizzle out on. When it comes to laying down a drum track to a song he kicks ass. His ability to serve the song and be creative is amazingly cool. Ringo is the master at fills. I could go on but you drummers who respect and admire Ringo already know this. It's the Ringo bashers that tickle me.

You have to register your car in Florida and buy the John Lennon Plate, which supports food banks, and then change it slightly since only one can read as mine does.

You have to register your car in Florida and buy the John Lennon Plate, which supports food banks, and then change it slightly since only one can read as mine does.

They should make a Ringo plate that says "peace and love"

Hmmmm...PCENLUV....might make a good plate, wonder how many people would get it tho?

Ringo is cool.

On the instruction though, a beat like that is definetly where you start when the student has no musical experience. Someone can have great talent no matter if they can play a basic 8th note rock beat at once. Put on some music and play quarters on the hi-hat. If they can feel the music that's worth a million times more than being able to play that rock beat on the first lesson. If not then it's best to start with just the snare, as is traditional and learn rhythms in context.

Back