A Really Riveting Thread

• Thread starter mediocrefunkybeat
  • Start date
M

mediocrefunkybeat

I know, I know. I just couldn't help myself, could I? I'm so sorry for the harm caused by that pun.

On the other hand, I've just riveted my Istanbul Ride. For those that haven't read the other thread, I was considering riveting it to get more of a 'cushion' out of the ride whilst keeping the stick definition that it has. It's a great ride, I just wanted to get a little more out of it. So I decided to rivet.

I've included a pair of sound files. One before, one after. These were recorded with a pair of overheads and a mic on the kick (such that it is, it's my 16" bass!). The only processing is panning, mic placement and level adjustment. There's absolutely no EQ or compression on the recordings. The playing is a little on the ropey side (as always) but is representative of how I usually play this cymbal.

First, the pictures. Clamp, mark, drill, insert and hammer slightly. That's all there is to it!

Pro tip: When you download the .Wav files, they won't play properly. Go to the filename and it'll read 'filename.wav.html' - delete the .html part from the end of the file name so that it reads 'filename.wav' then it should play properly. This forum always seems to do that and I don't know why!

Attachments

• P9010240.jpg
    P9010240.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 932
  • P9010242.jpg
    P9010242.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 937
  • P9010244.jpg
    P9010244.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 935
  • P9010245.jpg
    P9010245.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 928
  • Ride Sample 1.wav
    4.4 MB · Views: 296
  • Ride Sample 2.wav
    4.4 MB · Views: 274
Very nice, MFB! I love the sound.

So nice that I'll even forgive you for stealing my "riveting" pun without proper attribution.

Generous on a Thursday morning,
8Mile

Ah sorry, I'll cite 'obviousness' as my defence against your team of patent attorneys that will try to sack me for using your pun. Actually, that means I'm not sorry at all!

I actually learned a lot doing this again. One problem I had is that the counter punch I have was too small to flange the rivets - so I used a Philips headed screwdriver to splay it slightly instead. Worked very well and I'll be damned if I'm going down to the DIY store to get a new counter punch unless it's absolutely necessary.

If anyone is going to do this, I have three sage bits of drilling advice:

i) Always, always, always drill a pilot hole. In this case, I drilled a 2mm pilot hole first. That part took about two minutes to go through but meant that the 4mm hole was much easier and ended up in the right position.

ii) Don't try this with a cordless drill. Unless your cordless has big cojones. It'll just make a mess of it and you'll try pushing too hard.

iii) Don't push the drill bit. Let it do the work slowly and about half way through you can drive it gently. That's what took the time for me but I know that the bit I used (a metal bit, that's important) can be used again and made a clean hole. Pushing the bit will blunt it, put excess heat into the cymbal and generally stress the whole affair. Don't be tempted!

Looks good! I put few in an older AA china a little bit ago. I was able to do it with a cordless drill no problem. Though, it did take quite a while... and I just used a screwdriver as well for splitting the heads.

Attachments

• cymb.jpg
    cymb.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 842
Looks good! I put few in an older AA china a little bit ago. I was able to do it with a cordless drill no problem. Though, it did take quite a while...

My prejudice against cordless drills in this instance is that it would tempt me to 'push' the bit through the cymbal. Even with a higher-speed corded drill it took a while on this Istanbul. I'm sure a cordless could work but I would advise against it if you have the choice. Pushing the bit (and the temptation to do it) could put a lot of undue stress on the cymbal and heat - which could locally alter the tempering and create a weak spot.

It's a technique issue as much as anything else.

Ah... yea, I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a bit impatient and try pushing it a few times. No harm done, but you're right. That's all I had though. Honestly, I was riveting the china more for experimentation's sake. I tend to take hammers and drills to my drum equipment more than I probably should, haha. I just like messing with stuff.

The number of holes in my 16" bass drum are testament to how much I enjoy power tools. I can entirely sympathise!

Great sound Duncan, I imagine it sounds fabulous with that dark dry paiste.

I have a 20 Spizzichino with 6 rivets. Love the sound of rivets with both sticks and brushes.

GJS

Attachments

• Spizz with Rivets.jpg
    Spizz with Rivets.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 780
I don't think jealousy quite covers it! I couldn't play a Spizz, my hands aren't nuanced enough. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Excellent! I'm about to do this exact thing to a super dry 22" Bosphorus Master Vintage Ride this weekend.

Few questions...

- What brand of rivets did you use?

- I know going super slow is one of the keys but did you use drill oil or water to help keep the heat down on the drill bit?

- How far in from the edge did you drill?

Thanks.

Excellent! I'm about to do this exact thing to a super dry 22" Bosphorus Master Vintage Ride this weekend.

Few questions...

- What brand of rivets did you use?

- I know going super slow is one of the keys but did you use drill oil or water to help keep the heat down on the drill bit?

- How far in from the edge did you drill?

Thanks.

These are Zildjian rivets. They cost me £0.59 from one of the UK's bigger retailers!

I didn't use drill oil or water but I wouldn't discourage you from doing so. It certainly won't do any harm using it and will probably make the process quicker and easier. Just be careful to get rid of it immediately if you do use it. I don't think it's necessary but I can't see it doing harm.

The rivets are about an inch and a half from the edge and an inch apart.

These are Zildjian rivets. They cost me £0.59 from one of the UK's bigger retailers!

I didn't use drill oil or water but I wouldn't discourage you from doing so. It certainly won't do any harm using it and will probably make the process quicker and easier. Just be careful to get rid of it immediately if you do use it. I don't think it's necessary but I can't see it doing harm.

The rivets are about an inch and a half from the edge and an inch apart.

Thanks so much! I'll probably try the cool water approach as I can't locate any applicable oil in the local store.

I bought 1/8th inch rivets from the hardware store. Sorry Zildjian, but the bag full was just so much cheaper. Then I drilled 1/8th inch holes. Neither are precise so there is room for rattle. I had a new bit, drilled 21 holes, and it took no time at all. Did he say 21? Yep took a Masterwork Crash cymbal and made a funky effects cymbal. Just don't forget to put a wood block behind the cymbal to keep it from bowing down as you drill.

I bought 1/8th inch rivets from the hardware store. Sorry Zildjian, but the bag full was just so much cheaper. Then I drilled 1/8th inch holes. Neither are precise so there is room for rattle. I had a new bit, drilled 21 holes, and it took no time at all. Did he say 21? Yep took a Masterwork Crash cymbal and made a funky effects cymbal. Just don't forget to put a wood block behind the cymbal to keep it from bowing down as you drill.

21??? You're my hero!

Thanks for the reminder of the wood block behind the cymbal.

I didn't look to hard and far for rivets but a bag of 8 Bosphorus rivets cost me 4.00 Lowes probably sells 100 of them for 5.00 but I think I'm only going to use 3 anyways.

I bought my rivets from cymbalsonly.com

I think he's got 4 different types to choose from? I got two packs--a small set and a large set.

Oh the "pun"ishment!! I don't know if I can take it!

Yeah. I can. The cymbal sounds great, Duncan.

How did you decide on rivet placement? I'm used to seeing them spread more evenly around the cymbal. In any case, what you did works! Nice!

Back