Is it still 4 way coordination if I....

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
...am doing the exact same pattern with 2 different limbs? For instance keeping a quarter note "chick" going with the hi hat, and matching that with the ride cymbal bell, then doing something syncopated between the bass and snare with the remaining 2 limbs. Technically I am doing only 3 different things, but I am using 4 limbs. So is that 4 way coordination? If I left out just one quarter note a bar on the bell then technically I am doing 4 different things. So if I play the bell and the chick in unison always, is that considered "only" 3 way coordination?

I think coordination on a drumkit includes hitting different sound sources using the same pattern with different limbs, you could hit quarter notes with the 4 limbs, it still part of the coordination.

Coordination doesn't specifically mean syncopated patterns with different limbs, it means you should be able to coordinate all your limbs to do/play whatever you want including unison between limbs.

My 2c.

I had always thought to achieve 4 way coordination...you have to be doing 4 separate patterns.

I had always thought to achieve 4 way coordination...you have to be doing 4 separate patterns.

Well, I mean, ideally you'd be able to do whatever you want with any of your 4 limbs. If you pressed piano keys with your nose while you drum, I think that would be 5 way coordination.

It's still 4 way coordination. Things still have to coordinate with each other to hit at the same time.

OK then riddle me this. Say a limb is keeping the hi hat closed for 19 bars. My other 3 limbs are doing stuff, but my hi hat foot is just pressed down. Am I still doing 4 way during those 19 bars? Even if it is not pressed down I am technically "playing" a rest. Thoughts? Did I stray too far lol?

Not really important, I'm curious to see the answers you guys type..

OK then riddle me this. Say a limb is keeping the hi hat closed for 19 bars. My other 3 limbs are doing stuff, but my hi hat foot is just pressed down. Am I still doing 4 way during those 19 bars? Even if it is not pressed down I am technically "playing" a rest. Thoughts? Did I stray too far lol?

What are you, Bill Clinton? That's like saying there's no sexual relations without penetration. :)

As for my thoughts on the matter. I'm rolling with Henri on this one.

I would say it technically still is. But at this point the question is almost an existential one... if someone plays a rest are they still playing? Anyway, I'm calling it 4 way coordination since we're trying to split hairs here but you won't find that exercise in a 4 way coordination book I don't think.

It's still 4 way coordination. Things still have to coordinate with each other to hit at the same time.

Exactly. This is my take on it too.

Say you are playing a jazz shuffle; jazz ride pattern on the ride, shuffling on the snare, quarter notes on the bass, 2 & 4 on the hats. Nothing really syncopated, or extreme independence involved, but you are still coordinating 4 limbs to play a particular groove.

4 limb unison is 4 limb coordination

try running through the table of time with four limbs in unison with no flamming

yeah.... 4 limb coordination

I think of it this way:

If you're doing 4 separate patterns with each limb, that's independence. At the extreme end of independence is when each limb is playing a different meter -- polyrhythm,

Playing a beat utilizing all four limbs is coordination, regardless of whether all the limbs are playing a different pattern or not.

I think of it this way:

If you're doing 4 separate patterns with each limb, that's independence. At the extreme end of independence is when each limb is playing a different meter -- polyrhythm,

Playing a beat utilizing all four limbs is coordination, regardless of whether all the limbs are playing a different pattern or not.

This cleared it all up for me. Independence was the word I was looking for, not coordination.. So if I am playing 2 limbs in unison, it's not considered 4 way independence, right?

It's all coordinated but I think you may be talking about independence and interdependence. If you are keeping any beat with four limbs they are coordinated, but to get one at 4/4 and one at 5/4 and one at 3/4 you are talking independence,

Independence can be in all the same time sig though right? 4 way independence = doing 4 different things with each limb. Playing different time sigs significantly increases the difficulty, but I don't think it is a requirement for 4 way independence, is it?

This cleared it all up for me. Independence was the word I was looking for, not coordination.. So if I am playing 2 limbs in unison, it's not considered 4 way independence, right?

I thought you were going for independence initially. My answer is no, because it's possible those unison limbs are playing something different, over the bar or something. But if it's the same thing (i.e. you're playing quarters with both feet), yes.

Back