Drummers and Motor Vehicles

When I was in my teens our guitarist would drive me around in his Beetle with the back seat removed - me, his gear and my drums. These days I have a small kit so it fits easily in my Corolla.

2004 Toyotra Highlander fits my kit just fine...can get some additional band stuff in there as well...if I need to carrya more I switch to the Chrysler Town & Country mini van...can get my kit, two keyboards, Marshall stack, mic stands and more...

Heres mine. 2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4.

Attachments

• 2000chevy_silverado_1.jpg
    2000chevy_silverado_1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,411
I mostly use a Honda CRV. I can get my kit plus the band PA subs & lights in there no problem. For stripped down gigs or practice, I use my 320 bhp Subaru Legacy Prodrive. Gets me there & back real quick! Both vehicles are 4 wheel drive. Perfect for muddy festival gigs.

My 5 piece fusion size kit, cymbals and hardware fit into my Chevy HHR. When you fold down the rear seats, there's quite a bit of room. When I pack my drums into my car, I tend to drive conservatively. One of my drummer buddies had an accident on the way to a gig. He would have walked away from it, except he was hit by some of the gear he was packing. Ouch!

My 5 piece fusion size kit, cymbals and hardware fit into my Chevy HHR. When you fold down the rear seats, there's quite a bit of room. When I pack my drums into my car, I tend to drive conservatively. One of my drummer buddies had an accident on the way to a gig. He would have walked away from it, except he was hit by some of the gear he was packing. Ouch!

Exactly right. Problem is that no matter how cautiously you drive, there's always someone else who is more concerned with his or her cell phone conversation than your life.

You bet! I bought a new car recently and fitting my kit into it was a really important consideration at the start of the process. A couple of spirited test drives later, I ended up with something a little smaller than I probably should have, but I think it can work out. Let's see. I have to fit this...

kit_052210_03_small.jpg

into this...

Cayman_day1_9.jpg

So, I... hmmm. Well, the car has two trunks so I can probably fill one of them with, ummm... Ok, if I sit sideways in the front seat and roll down the passenger window, I'll bet I can squeeze my floor tom... ummm, errr. Well, let's just say that if you hire me for a gig I'll be bringing a snare drum and I'll probably arrive with time to spare.

My entire 6 pc Gretsch kit and all hardware fits in my 91 Honda CRX.

That's funny. I also had a 91 CRX when I got my DW's. I could get all of my drums and hardware in it too. I did have to go with bags for my drums instead of hard shell cases though. The cases wouldn't fit. Great car!

Now I have a 1995 Chevy truck and have no issues with my drums. If the weather is bad I have a bed cover I can put on.

The first car I bought when I was 18 years old was a Subaru 4wd wagon. It was brand new in the showroom. I brought my kit in to see how it fit. Yea, I LOADED my drums into the new car in the showroom then i bought it and drove it away.

joe

Just picked this up, especially for my drums. Great for the usual gigs, but especially good for this years festival season. The band usually stays over at festival gigs. It's a great laugh with BBQ's & beers. Now I can do it in comfort, & so can my drums!

Attachments

• st11.jpg
    st11.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,156
  • BLACK%20SPRINTER%20(37)-Optimized.jpg
    BLACK%20SPRINTER%20(37)-Optimized.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,096
  • SC%20Sporthomes%20Sport%20Tourer%20Black%20(2)-Optimized.jpg
    SC%20Sporthomes%20Sport%20Tourer%20Black%20(2)-Optimized.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,159
I can fit my entire along with hardware and cymbals into my car. A Scion. I have a 7 piece with a 22x18 bass drum.

I had considered a minivan in the beginning, but those just lacked a certain amount of coolness that I wasn't willing to part with. So I went with a Ford F-150 truck. I have Gator hardcases so I'm not too worried about the weather (especially here in Southern California. Also, as I expand into motorscooters it's good to have a truck to haul them around in.

Dang, KIS, that is a van!! I want one just to have the traveling bar!!
Cheers DED, it has beds for 4, a full kitched, shower, etc too. The best bits are it has a 15' x 15' enclosed awning for late evening parties & the drum load section is heated & humidity controlled, so my tubs are happy in there all year round. No more lugging drums into the upstairs of my garage after each practice/gig. My gigging kit will live there permanently!

Attachments

• st31.jpg
    st31.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,022
  • st35.jpg
    st35.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,100
Scion XA here. No problem hauling a seven piece and hardware around. Even have room for a passenger riding shotgun.

I own a F-150 with a fiberglass bed cap and use the truck as an everyday driver as well.

Now if I needed a new vehicle, it would be a truck as that is what I have owned for the past 30 years. The only car made that I would drive...I can't afford anyway. But I have always had a use for a pick-up, other than to carry drums so I will continue to own or buy one.

Back