Has the audience ever applauded after your sound check?

MrPockets

Gold Member
okHr0RP.jpg

Did it receive more applause than the actual performance?

I've been told a lot of times that sound guys hate, hate, hate when drummers do fancy crap while they are trying to get levels and isolate things. My sound checks sound terrible to anyone listening, because I'm hitting one thing at a time, not playing a drum solo. Usually, I get a big smile and a thumbs up from the guy at the console trying to do his job, but no wild applause from the "audience".

I take it you haven't been in many Aussie bars? I've heard "check one, two's" greeted by raucous applause by guys with beer in hand and a distinct willingness to pull the piss.

In short, yes I have......more than once. Line checks, sound checks, tuning up. I reckon I've seen all clapped and cheered at one point or another. You can always rely on one smartarse in an Aussie pub during set up.

Yep, all the time. Though never for just me, as I subscribe to the Doc's philosophy. But the whole band, sure. A lot of places we play have folks at the bar before we even get there, let alone soundcheck. I am in Oz tho......

I've been told a lot of times that sound guys hate, hate, hate when drummers do fancy crap while they are trying to get levels and isolate things. My sound checks sound terrible to anyone listening, because I'm hitting one thing at a time, not playing a drum solo. Usually, I get a big smile and a thumbs up from the guy at the console trying to do his job, but no wild applause from the "audience".

Absolutely. In a sound check, you just keep a slow and steady quarter note pulse on whatever drum the sound guy asks you to check. When he asks you to play the whole kit, you keep it simple, throw a few fills around, and just make sure to hit all the cymbals a couple of times. I HATE it when those guys start just blasting away at their double kick pedals when you ask to check their kick drum. I didn't ask how fast you could play. I asked you to hit the drum a few times so I can dial in a good sound. I can't do that with machine gun fire in my ear.

Absolutely. In a sound check, you just keep a slow and steady quarter note pulse on whatever drum the sound guy asks you to check. When he asks you to play the whole kit, you keep it simple, throw a few fills around, and just make sure to hit all the cymbals a couple of times. I HATE it when those guys start just blasting away at their double kick pedals when you ask to check their kick drum. I didn't ask how fast you could play. I asked you to hit the drum a few times so I can dial in a good sound. I can't do that with machine gun fire in my ear.

If they're trying to set a gate then it makes it totally impossible to know if you've set it correctly. Not playing too fast is absolutely key.

"kick"
bom bom bum bam boom boom

"ok snare"
tak pak pak tack tat tat

"yep. mounted tom ..."
bom bom

"fine. floor"
bom bom boom

"play around the kit"
boom-tat boom-boom-tat boom-tat boom-boom-tat tattatat budabom budabom crash

"okay, thanks ... now guita ..."

YAAAAYYYYY! MORE!! MORE!! cries the crowd.

Kind of like the drum shop dream. You walk in and decide to "try out" a kit. Off you go ... you're on fire! It's a chopfest! The awestruck crowd gathers as you show 'em what you've got. By the time you finish everyone's applauding and hollering and the gig offers roll in from an agency rep who happened to be passing by when they were compelled to check out the incredible drumming performance.

Then there's the drum shop reality. You walk in and decide to "try out" a kit. Off you go ... you're on fire! It's a chopfest! A kid looks on figuring he could do better. A few rolled eyes from shoppers, maybe some muttering, "I wish that $#!^#&@) would STFU" (that could be me :). Shop assistants start looking up Positions Vacant ...

When I hear "play around the kit" I usually do slow rlk triplets around the kit with a crash every 3rd or 4th time around. Which usually only takes a good soundman a couple of times to get a balance of the kit after they've set individual eq and any gates they want. Sometimes a quick money beat on the hat then the ride if they ask for it. The more open the things you do are, the easier it is to tell one drum from another for the sound person and let them make their adjustments. As someone who does live sound on occasion, I rarely ask for the around the kit because 80% of the time it's a barrage of noise that doesn't help.

Sure, all the time. Why wouldn't they? Half of them are drunk and start yelling "FREEBIRD!"

Wha?! Was I at your gig?

Can't say anyone ever clapped for me after checking my kit but at some smaller venues where we have to run our own sound we'll play a snippet of a song to check the levels, sometimes that results in applause.

Yes.

Audiences always applaud me when I stop drumming.

I must be really great

:)

I can remember one gig....

I did a bastardised version of Jeff Porcaros' "Mushunga" from Toto to warm up...

There was a group of drummers sitting around next to the stage...

There was about 8 of them...

They all stood up and cheered me on and clapped for about 5 mins...

Not a sound from the audience....

It brought a tear to my eye as I had a unsuccessful suicide attempt a day earlier...

That evening probably saved my life.....

Back