Hail Duncan! (A recording help request thread because I didn't understand the other.)

Ferret

So I saw the other thread about home studio equipment, and gave it a read because well I am trying to do the same thing. I am pretty much as acoustic as a drummer can get, and totally crutch on the knowledge of sound engineers and drum tech for anything that could electrify me if I am not nice to it.

So, I have this 9x15 room, and it has this in it:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=240492V though I don't think mine is B stock, and I have 2 overhead mics, and a thing that the mics go into, that then goes into the tascam thing.

and I need to mic this thing:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46140

So uh, whats the bare minimum amount of mics needed, what models are affordable but will still give me something halfway decent that I can show people, and is there anything else I should be thinking about with this that I just didn't know about?

Re: Hail Duncan! (A recording help request thread because I didn't understand the oth

Well thats a big kit - it depends what quality of sound you want to get out of it - if your going to pan every drum and stereo image the kit. Those mini-digital mixers are cool, but you can't to a 100th of the editing on them as you can with pro-tools or logic.
to make a recording studio, it depends on what you want to do - ask your self whether you want to produce a rocking, thumping drum track fully mixed and mastered or if you want to just record your practices or anything in between. And its like drumming - once you start buying gear you wont be able to stop yourself!
Personally - i don't find the worth in paying heaps of money to make a studio - use other peoples. but that up to you! Also if you want to record your band, your going to need some other mics for vocals and amps.
For brands - check out JTS - they make good but cheap mics: http://www.jts.com.tw/
anyway - im rambling! hope this helped (probarbly didn't)

Re: Hail Duncan! (A recording help request thread because I didn't understand the oth

I would try the recorderman method first with 3 mics. 2 overhead and one on the kick.
You will need to borrow or buy a double pedal to get this method to work on your kit.

Otherwise you can try stereo overheads and one mic on each kick.

Wayne

1 kick is sort of out of the question, there's a pair of click pads on there that won't take too kindly to a double pedal, and I really don't feel like changing my set up options for this, I am prepared to make the investment and I would like to keep my set up as is.

I want to use it to record decent quality drums, not anything perfectly mastered with pro studio quality or the like, but I am recording drums over my old friend's demo and he's all the way out in Israel, while I am in California. So the barely audible crunchy cracky kind of sound is what I am trying to avoid. I don't really sweat the editing bit, if I am not paying a studio 40 bucks an hour then I have all the time in the world to get the perfect runthrough down, it's the sound quality I would like to focus on.

The mics are just for me, for various long distance projects that I am working on at the moment, my practice room is owned and operated by a pro studio so I get all the local stuff done in there on gameday.

Back