Premier is getting there

I prefer the look of exotic type grain patterns that run vertical on shells, horizontally just doesn't look earthy, grounded, it looks off. PREMIER is trying too hard to keep up with the Jones' IMO.

Attachments

• Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 726
I prefer the look of exotic type grain patterns that run vertical on shells, horizontally just doesn't look earthy, grounded, it looks off. PREMIER is trying too hard to keep up with the Jones' IMO.

That picture illustrates what I was saying in my last post beautifully. That DW (IMO) looks much nicer than those new Premiers. I still hope the Premiers come back. I also wish Gibson would pick up the ball they dropped with Slingerland, since every post I read on the sets Gibson made said the were quality drums.

From Premier USA on another forum .. . "The finishes are all 100% real, with no fake veneers ... "

Remember.. these are all MATTE FINISHES. . they have not shown the HIGH GLOSS that I am aware of..

644029_451967818182740_376681753_n.jpg

The snare drums at least are made by the chap who used to own KD Drums, in fact Premier bought KD for this very purpose. Keith has a long reputation for making beautifully crafted and figured drums with no fake veneers.

In person the inlaid and marquetry finishes are absolutely stunning.

There are a couple of things I like about those new Premiers. First of all, their tom suspension mount is interesting as far as it is inside the lugs, which means less space occupied and possibly closer toms than with other suspension mounts (and toms fitting easier in cases ...). Second, I find their lugs interesting and certainly not bigger than, say, DW ... (which I also like btw!).

I had a good look at the Premier drums stand at the London Drum Show back in October. They looked very nice indeed - although I'm not sure I'm a fan of the lug design, either. Something smaller would be nicer.

I have a lot of fondness for Premier. It's such a shame that they've had so many problems in the last few years. I played an old 90s Premier at Uni for years as the 'house' kit in a band I played with and even though it was a low-end kit and had seen better days, it was an absolute joy. The snare in particular was fantastic and it doubled up for orchestral duties (I didn't play in the orchestra, fortunately!).

Their 2000 series snares were always great too. One of my favourite metal snares and I would equate them to be very similar to the Supraphonic. I'm always on the look out for a 2000 series snare as a metal alternative option (not that I'll ever use it given what I'm currently playing) and I just love them.

Let's hope they can become successful again. They have always made fantastic drums but have always lacked market exposure compared to some of the other major companies, especially in the US.

I agree, Premier had such a great pedigree, and were used by so many drummers in the UK, (and other countries as well), I could never figure out were it went wrong for them, I do hope this is the start of a resurgence.

Taste is a strange thing, is it not? I think the shells look like fablon, but I love the lugs.

From Premier USA on another forum .. . "The finishes are all 100% real, with no fake veneers ... "

Ok, that's cool.

I have to say that some of the other kits posted actually do look really good.
The inlay stuff on the snares looks like really good quality work, I'm just not sure how it fits the drums from a design point of view. Most people seem to like the look tho.

The first pic still reminds of the kind of furniture I'd find at a mall cafe, not my favourite veneer.. The picture has a somehow plastic quality to it, might be the photo editing?

I think they look really unique and sharp. I really like all those pic's.

It's good to know they are using quality, real wood rather than imitation veneers. It must be the matte finish that was throwing me off. DW and Sonor have always used a high gloss finish in their exotic wood veneers, so the matte looks a bit off compared to what I'm used to I guess.

Hopefully they will be successful, as several of us have mentioned. What happened with Slingerland and Rogers is really unfortunate, so I'm rooting for Premier big time. In fact, when I advance to the point that I'm ready to upgrade to a pro level kit, I will be checking Premier out, since Ludwig and Gretsch have already been successful in their comebacks and Sonor never needed to comeback.

Their Premier series I believe are English made,with hardware made in Taiwan.They state on their wedsite,that their shells are 3mm undersized which could account for the lug splay.which dosen't bother me as long as It dosen't affect tuning.

They seem to be using the modern drum company business model for the most part.Make your top of the line kits in your native country,and your other stuff overseas.

The Asian made drums are where the profit is.It lets you pay the bills and make a profit.That allows you to keep selling top shelf to drummers who have the bucks and want pro grade instruments.And that in turn gets endorcement deals,and gets drummers to see your fav drummer,playing your brand.

I for one would like to see Premier earn their share of the market.They put British drums on the map.But I still love the 60's long lugs.Perhaps offering a choice like Ludwig does.

Steve B

As soon as they bring back the 70s/80s lugs and low profile die cast hoops I will be all over Premier.

They state on their wedsite,that their shells are 3mm undersized which could account for the lug splay.which dosen't bother me as long as It dosen't affect tuning.

It shouldn't.

Lug splay is a simple oversight and really doesn't need to exist on any quality drum.

"The finishes are all 100% real, with no fake veneers ... "

Wonderful, all quality veneers are real wood. I don't know of any 'fake veneers' out there on decent drums, unless LUDWIG still offers BUTCHER BLOCK finish.

Hi

I have to admit that I don't like the "natural wood" look at all on any drum kit - give me color/tinted lacquer any time. I like finishes that really catch the eye or are classy under lights. The drum kit (my opinion) is the focal point of any band setup.

I think these are looking more like "Brady" drums - Bradys are supposed rank with the best but I have always hated their logo and general appearance.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned and need to "modern-up".

Premier however have made the best kits in my honest opinion. I have owned 1970's Premier kits and now have a mid-90's Genista Birch (made in England) and love it.
I am very keen to see the new proposed Premiers...

Cheers

Pete :)

Last edited:
They state on their wedsite,that their shells are 3mm undersized which could account for the lug splay.which dosen't bother me as long as It dosen't affect tuning.

It shouldn't.

Lug splay is a simple oversight and really doesn't need to exist on any quality drum.

"The finishes are all 100% real, with no fake veneers ... "

Wonderful, all quality veneers are real wood. I don't know of any 'fake veneers' out there on decent drums, unless LUDWIG still offers BUTCHER BLOCK finish.

The vast majority of Sonor's veneer finishes are 'fake', made for them by Alpi, an Italian company. This includes the bubinga now used, although it wasn't originally. They haven't used real veneers for some time.

Back