Big maple fun :)

More interested in that kit behind it.. what is that made of and is it all laminated strips how it looks?

There's more than enough room loading of the bottom end, but I was missing some head slap :)

Yeah, that's what I figured. Its just strange to see someone mic the batter side of a bass drum instead of the reso side. But considering you are only using this mic and a couple overheads, I figure the bass drum was probably getting lost in the mix without a more defined attack sound.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Its just strange to see someone mic the batter side of a bass drum instead of the reso side. But considering you are only using this mic and a couple overheads, I figure the bass drum was probably getting lost in the mix without a more defined attack sound.
Yes, a degree of definition was missing. Plenty of bottom end, almost too much actually :)

Very, very nice.
That's the maple Rock sound I love.
Thank you :) I'll get a recording of a higher tuning up at some stage.

lol they sound ridiculously good. I love the tightness of the zebrano toms, but these maple toms are just so phat! two very different sounds, both fantastic. That kick is just massive and punchy as anything!

I wish the Aussie dollar wasnt dropping so fast, makes it harder and harder to save up for buying one of these beauties.

lol they sound ridiculously good. I love the tightness of the zebrano toms, but these maple toms are just so phat! two very different sounds, both fantastic. That kick is just massive and punchy as anything!
Thank you :) The difference in sound between the zebrano & maple Tour is as much do with size as it is timber species, but in these drums, timber species differences are difficult to miss. The character jumps out at you :)

Thank you :) The difference in sound between the zebrano & maple Tour is as much do with size as it is timber species, but in these drums, timber species differences are difficult to miss. The character jumps out at you :)

When I listen to the zebrano tour vid you did, the toms really remind me of the toms sound on tool's aenima. I have never heard any drums come so close to that sound and it is one of my favourite recorded drums sound/album ever. I recall you saying you modelled the tour series on your sonor phonics, and danny carey was obviously endorsed by sonor. I wonder how much of this is coincidence?

However, many people say danny used tama in the studio on certain occasions. Then again, a drum sound as unique as that is so recognisable when I hear it somewhere else, and I've never heard that come from a tama set before, so I will trust my ears on this one.

When I listen to the zebrano tour vid you did, the toms really remind me of the toms sound on tool's aenima. I have never heard any drums come so close to that sound and it is one of my favourite recorded drums sound/album ever. I recall you saying you modelled the tour series on your sonor phonics, and danny carey was obviously endorsed by sonor. I wonder how much of this is coincidence?

However, many people say danny used tama in the studio on certain occasions. Then again, a drum sound as unique as that is so recognisable when I hear it somewhere else, and I've never heard that come from a tama set before, so I will trust my ears on this one.
I think coincidence will play a big part in this, especially given the huge disparity in recording method / quality. Tour series are "inspired by" my 80's Phonics experience, but sonically & constructionally they're quite different to Phonics. They're just as short voiced & punchy / focussed, but much more resonant & toneful. TBH, phonics were always a bit one dimensional & tonally a bit flat.

If I somehow get a lot of money for a custom kit, I will deffo buy that Maple kit. Sounds great and big. Perfect for 2 of the bands I'm playing in.

I think coincidence will play a big part in this, especially given the huge disparity in recording method / quality. Tour series are "inspired by" my 80's Phonics experience, but sonically & constructionally they're quite different to Phonics. They're just as short voiced & punchy / focussed, but much more resonant & toneful. TBH, phonics were always a bit one dimensional & tonally a bit flat.

Definitely much more toneful and resonant than phonics. I wouldnt worry about the disparity in recording method because although vastly different, the drums character will still shine through.

Also that mic placed on the batter side of the kick makes a big difference. Much more enjoyable and cohesive sound to my ears.

That sounds great-

The kick is huge! I've been playing a setup with no hole in the res head and was wondering if you all have any tips to get rid of that *tink* sound? The basic hi frequency pipe resonance/flutter echo in there. Maybe just put a little hand towel in there before sealing her up? I know for the guru stuff some of the thing might be proprietary, totally understandable if so. Thanks-

The kick is huge! I've been playing a setup with no hole in the res head and was wondering if you all have any tips to get rid of that *tink* sound? The basic hi frequency pipe resonance/flutter echo in there. Maybe just put a little hand towel in there before sealing her up? I know for the guru stuff some of the thing might be proprietary, totally understandable if so. Thanks-
Something small & absorbent in the bottom of the drum is all that's usually needed to mitigate against pipe resonance. Something like a 12" square of 1/2" thick closed cell neoprene is perfect.

We don't use anything inside the drum. We have a number of methods of designing out undesirable sonic characteristics, but I'm sorry, I'm not going to give those away on a public forum :)

that snare has a killer crack to it!
Thank you :)

Definitely much more toneful and resonant than phonics. I wouldnt worry about the disparity in recording method because although vastly different, the drums character will still shine through.

Also that mic placed on the batter side of the kick makes a big difference. Much more enjoyable and cohesive sound to my ears.
Thank you, & yes, external batter head mic placement is under utilised for bass drum.

If I somehow get a lot of money for a custom kit, I will deffo buy that Maple kit. Sounds great and big. Perfect for 2 of the bands I'm playing in.
I'd love to build you a kit my Nordic friend :)

These drums really need an Instagram! I know a few companies who are smaller and independent and have them (C&C and Angel Drums come to mind). It's a great way to build fans and shows all the cool stuff Guru is putting out. Just a thought.

Back