Yogi Horton history of funk drumming

I've watched this four times already since I stumbled across it recently, great stuff altogether!

Tune the drums to where they feel good, where you can play them easily, then hope the board/sound person can save you.

Classic 60's/70's studio tuning on that vid.

Mr. Bishop, thank you so much for posting this! This is a paradigm shift in terms of physical and mental approach to playing for me. I have been searching for answers to time/feel and groove that almost no other drummers address in technique videos that are addressed here. "You can't deceive the body." The whole concept of your body as an instrument itself moving in rhythm to the drums that you want to strike and how you want to strike them. It's like martial arts. I like the way he counted off the time before playing. He was already hearing the music and getting his body moving in time to play the right feel. Just so much information. And his time is ROCK SOLID!

This is going to be so useful to me and I will watch about 10 more times and learn a hundred more things from it.

OH OH, the intent behind what you play. What you are trying to say, what you feel, informs how you play a lick or a groove!

This was great. So much history and information in one hour. This guy was great...it sucks to read that such a gifted guy took his own life. Thank you for sharing this.

Thanks, just wonderful, learnt so much and such a cool guy! Been stumbling across a few of these techniques by accident lately so this has just fast tracked me big time. Wow!

Back